PupFlux, PupFluxLite & now PupFlux421

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
steve_s

#41 Post by steve_s »

redandwhitestripes: I mentioned earlier about transparency, but I wanted to add a follow up.

It should be noted that many of the fluxbox themes that have been pointed out by myself and trapster (thanks!) on various sites are clear/transparent. So, if you pick a menu/fluxbox style that is glass or transparent or something like that than it may take care of what you are looking for.

Dave W.

Small widget with RED DOT at bottom right.

#42 Post by Dave W. »

Steve,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but what the heck is that?

Thanks, and sorry to be a bother.

Dave

steve_s

Re: Small widget with RED DOT at bottom right.

#43 Post by steve_s »

Dave W. wrote:Steve,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but what the heck is that?

Thanks, and sorry to be a bother.

Dave
At the bottom right? It should be the volume control dial...if you sorta drag your mouse over it, it will turn up or down. Try it while listening to a movie or mp3 or something..is that what you are talking about?

Dave W.

#44 Post by Dave W. »

Steve,

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. If it doesn't work on my old box, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Dave

HP 8755C
800 MHz
512 RAM
40 GB HD
NVidia Geforce FX5500 128 MB

steve_s

#45 Post by steve_s »

Oh, I thought this looked pretty cool..I found the fluxbox style, the gtk2 theme and the wallpaper. I zipped it up with a readme to explain where to put everything and even gave instructions on installing ttuuxxx's Seamonkey theme if you wanted that too (like in the screenshots). Tell me if you like it... 8)
Attachments
21609scrnsht1.jpg
(85 KiB) Downloaded 1709 times
21609scrnsht2.jpg
(68.73 KiB) Downloaded 1676 times

Stevo954

#46 Post by Stevo954 »

Good work Steve, I love it. I remembered Fluxbox from DSL back in the day. One of my few complaints about Puppy and most puplets is the Windows 95 look of JWM and IceWM.
XFCE is nice but too heavy for my old Dell 566mhz Celeron.
This is PERFECT.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(75.26 KiB) Downloaded 578 times

steve_s

#47 Post by steve_s »

Stevo954 wrote:Good work Steve, I love it. I remembered Fluxbox from DSL back in the day. One of my few complaints about Puppy and most puplets is the Windows 95 look of JWM and IceWM.
This is PERFECT.
Excellent, and great wallpaper.. 8)

beambot

What about a PupFlux version based on Puppy 4,2?

#48 Post by beambot »

Hey steve_s,

will be there a PupFlux Version based on the new Puppy 4.2?
i like your derivate and use it on my usbstick?

good work, go on with it!

beambot

Roy

PupFlux & PupFluxLite

#49 Post by Roy »

steve_s:

This looks absolutely wonderful -- especially the default background on PupFluxLite! P-L-E-A-S-E, let us know when an X-Delta patch is available for the Puppy retro kernel (2.6.21.7) so that I can run this on my netbook computer. [The standard kernel version (2.6.25.16) is a broken distro that will not even load to the boot menu on these machines and download connections at my current location are extremely slow/unreliable, hence my enthusiasm for a retro-kernel X-Delta patch.]

If there was ever a great idea for 1024x600 screen netbooks (running a standard JWM desktop or simply switching to fluxbox WM -- with a full-functioned distro which doesn't consume an entire Solid State Disk with bloat), this is it!! The standard JWM screen can be shared with new users while the fluxbox manager fills my own desires. Sorry if I sound a bit overzealous, but I am truly in awe....

-Roy

steve_s

Re: PupFlux & PupFluxLite

#50 Post by steve_s »

Roy wrote:steve_s:

This looks absolutely wonderful -- especially the default background on PupFluxLite! P-L-E-A-S-E, let us know when an X-Delta patch is available for the Puppy retro kernel (2.6.21.7) so that I can run this on my netbook computer. [The standard kernel version (2.6.25.16) is a broken distro that will not even load to the boot menu on these machines and download connections at my current location are extremely slow/unreliable, hence my enthusiasm for a retro-kernel X-Delta patch.]

If there was ever a great idea for 1024x600 screen netbooks (running a standard JWM desktop or simply switching to fluxbox WM -- with a full-functioned distro which doesn't consume an entire Solid State Disk with bloat), this is it!! The standard JWM screen can be shared with new users while the fluxbox manager fills my own desires. Sorry if I sound a bit overzealous, but I am truly in awe....

-Roy
I've got the patch just no way to upload it as it a little big to post...send me a pm about an email address and maybe I'll see if I can just send you the patch...glad you like the distro, roy.

beambot: maybe...I don't see why not...maybe I'll find a way to upload the patch and see if someone can pick it up for a mirror; that way one could just patch 4.2...like I told roy, I'll check on it...

T_Hobbit

#51 Post by T_Hobbit »

Stevo954 wrote:Good work Steve, I love it. I remembered Fluxbox from DSL back in the day. One of my few complaints about Puppy and most puplets is the Windows 95 look of JWM and IceWM.
This is PERFECT.
Hey! I'm using that wallpaper also!
:)
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

steve_s

#52 Post by steve_s »

T_Hobbit wrote: Hey! I'm using that wallpaper also!

...it's good stuff, huh? 8)

T_Hobbit

#53 Post by T_Hobbit »

steve_s wrote:

Huh... sexy... :oops:
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

steve_s

#54 Post by steve_s »

T_Hobbit wrote:
steve_s wrote:

Huh... sexy... :oops:
[note the sarcasm] it has a subtle message that is unclear and vague...not sure the message they are trying to portray. :lol:

T_Hobbit

#55 Post by T_Hobbit »

[see the image] Homer Simpson looking at a big fat burger
T_Hobbit

steve_s

#56 Post by steve_s »

Ok, per Roy's request (and whomever is interested), here is a sendspace upload of the patch for puppy 4.1.2 retro to PupFluxLite:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bsdimc

If someone would pick it up as a mirror it would be appreciated...

If not, then those that are interested in it, make sure to get your download asap 'cause I don't know how long the sendspace upload will remain... 8)

Please follow the instructions regarding patches posted earlier in this thread. Following those instructions, apply this patch to 4.1.2retro and you will have PupFluxLite.

Roy

PupFlux & PupFluxLite

#57 Post by Roy »

steve_s,

I downloaded your PupFluxLite X-Delta patch last night and successfully applied it to my Puppy 4.1.2 retro iso! Thank you so very much for this astounding work of art!

A couple of questions though: How do I switch between your default Fluxbox WM and the original JWM... or is it even possible on the Lite version?

And although I am honestly in awe over this distro -- applying the patch seemed to have removed this Puppy's ability to use an honest 1024x600 screen (800x600 is the highest resolution possible by default). Is there a way I can restore the 1024x600 resolution?

This change looks and works wonderfully just the way it is, but I would like to tailor it to my machine's specs just a bit more...

-Roy
Last edited by Roy on Thu 19 Mar 2009, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

vg1

#58 Post by vg1 »

Steve,

in an earlier post you said the xdeltas for pupflux and pupfluxlite are about 8mb each. The one you uploaded says 51mb. Why is that? If that's correct it's not worth it.

If you still have the 8mb xdelta for puplfux can you upload it please

thanks
vg

steve_s

#59 Post by steve_s »

vg1 wrote:Steve,

in an earlier post you said the xdeltas for pupflux and pupfluxlite are about 8mb each. The one you uploaded says 51mb. Why is that? If that's correct it's not worth it.

If you still have the 8mb xdelta for puplfux can you upload it please

thanks
vg
heck if I know; the one I just uploaded is for the 412retro patch. Is it so big because of it is a different kernel than either of the other two that I did? In other words, the xdelta goes from 412retro kernel to 4.0 kernel in pupfluxlite...is that why? I just followed the same directions as the others...

I'll upload the other two tonight, but they are patches for 4.0 to pupfluxlite and 4.1.2 to pupflux, same kernel for each (that they were originally based on).

steve_s

Re: PupFlux & PupFluxLite

#60 Post by steve_s »

Roy wrote:steve_s,

I downloaded your PupFluxLite X-Delta patch last night and successfully applied it to my Puppy 4.1.2 retro iso! Thank you so very much for this astounding work of art!

A couple of questions though: How do I switch between your default Fluxbox WM and the original JWM... or is it even possible on the Lite version?

And although I am honestly in awe over this distro -- applying the patch seemed to have removed this Puppy's ability to use an honest 1024x600 screen (800x600 is the highest resolution possible by default). Is there a way I can restore the 1024x600 resolution?

This change looks and works wonderfully just the way it is, but I would like to tailor it to my machine's specs just a bit more...

-Roy
hey, roy, glad you like it. 8)

With the lite version you CANNOT switch back and forth between fluxbox and jwm; part of the "lite" is the fact that I've removed JWM.

I know for certain there are a couple of threads out there that explain how to switch back and forth between window managers, so I would search around, reinstall JWM and switch as you want...if you figure it out, then post back and tell us the best way to do it.

As far as the 1024x600, I really don't know as I haven't played with it...anyone else have an idea on that?

I will add it to my list of items (along with those other patches for vg1) to do this evening, though...