Finally! OpenOffice3.pet

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Evil20071

Finally! OpenOffice3.pet

#1 Post by Evil20071 »

WARNING: This .pet is MASSIVE! It is reccommended ONLY if you have a full install and dont want to mess with trying to install it with the .sfs package(s). The .pet is 157mb in size, and is approx 380mb installed. I know several people have been asking for this packaged as a .pet, so here it is. I will try to create a .pup for those of you that asked for that as well.

OpenOffice3.pet

md5sum: 3ee313f9a0839c7b776e73024c8c2cdd OpenOffice3.pet
Last edited by Evil20071 on Tue 13 Jan 2009, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

sullysat

#2 Post by sullysat »

Awesome! Thanks Evil!!

pa_mcclamrock

#3 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Well, you could use it in a frugal install if you (1) have at least 1 GB of RAM and a correspondingly big pup_save file, and (2) don't mind having a huge "OO" tail wagging a little Puppy. :lol:

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Evil20071

#4 Post by Evil20071 »

That too.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

MIke pops his koffice on his knee, strokes him and feeds him mini doggie biccies.....

sullysat

#6 Post by sullysat »

Thanks Evil, this sure was easier than dealing with all the file movement in a full install.

However, the .pet overwrote the pinboard, apparently without backing up the original. So when I rebooted, all I got was a grey screen and the office icons.

When I used the .sfs I just didn't copy the pinboard files. That kept the desktop and I just added my own shortcuts later. I'd recommend that be the default option in the .pet as well.

Thanks!
Sully

stowpirate

#7 Post by stowpirate »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Well, you could use it in a frugal install if you (1) have at least 1 GB of RAM and a correspondingly big pup_save file, and (2) don't mind having a huge "OO" tail wagging a little Puppy. :lol:

David McClamrock
Does that mean it will not work on my frugal install on a PC with only 256mb ram?

Josef

#8 Post by Josef »

*Bump*

Thanks dude!

Akifue

#9 Post by Akifue »

Hey
Link don't work

Thank you, great work.

Josef

#10 Post by Josef »

Akifue wrote:Hey
Link don't work
http://www.leprichaunproductions.com/ev ... s/puppy_4/

Here you are

dawnsboy

#11 Post by dawnsboy »

I followed my nose and sniffed out the link.

http://www.leprichaunproductions.com/ev ... es/puppy_4

OpenOffice3.pet is in that directory.

ecomoney

#12 Post by ecomoney »

Many thanks Evil for this .pet of a very popular piece of software. I am in the process of moving all of my clients (mostly charities, social enterprises, free cybercafe's etc) over to a dingo based setup.

Ive made a request that this is added to the puppy wiki, and to the petget installer from the desktop. May I suggest changing the title of this thread to "Openoffice 3 for puppy linux as .pet " as it will appear in google searches much more prominently.

Just a note, after I installed this .pet, there was a complaint of missing dependencies, but it seems to run in any case. Its difficult to cut and paste from the .pet install confirmation screen. They were mostly about python in the "/opt" directory". It also correctly put the icons in the correct catagories in the start menu (though not in all the ones mentioned in the .pet installer confirmation screen!)

I notice with som of MU's massive .pups (like xampp) he included an install script that ran instead of the default installer. This checked for available space and gave the user a chance to resize their pup_save file before installation. This isnt exactly cutting edge minority software, so we should make things go as smoothly as possible.

Im wondering as well, openoffice says it needs JAVA for all of its features to work. Does this version have JAVA installed or have they dropped that requirement (openoffice is sponsored by SUN MICROSYSTEMS who also do Java). Does this mean my facebook chat and notifications will work now too? lol

In any case, not wishing to be un-constructively critical, many thanks for this much-needed .pet

edit: have just noticed that that the automatic update routines do not work. I dont know why that is. Perhaps it could come with this option switched off by default unless it can be made to work that is.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

DMcCunney

#13 Post by DMcCunney »

ecomoney wrote:Im wondering as well, openoffice says it needs JAVA for all of its features to work. Does this version have JAVA installed or have they dropped that requirement (openoffice is sponsored by SUN MICROSYSTEMS who also do Java).
The requirement is still there. I don't recall what features offhand use Java. The standard Windows installer for OO3 includes the JRE. I don't think Evil20071's PET includes it, but the 1.6.01JRE is also available as a PET in the same repository as the OO3 pet.
______
Dennis

Feel

#14 Post by Feel »

Thanks!!!

Feel

#15 Post by Feel »

I just noticed that something got wrong in the menu entries update, and now my program list is almost blank (only the Desktop entry is still here.).
I hope this is just a problem of mine, otherwise there must be something wrong somewhere.
Anyway, I never used that thing. What I needed was OO.

ecomoney

#16 Post by ecomoney »

I am using latest Puppy Linux 4.2 RC1 and can confirm this fault exists, tested using to new pup_save files. Each time the rox desktop shortcut icons went missing after a reboot, or xwindows restart, leaving only six openoffice desktop shortcuts, missing icon .xpm's thumbnails (just the icons for bash scripts for each).

I have seen similar behaviour on early puppies when "pinboard files" failed to create due to full pup_saves.2fs's. May be related.

Congratulations "Feel" on your first successful bug-kill, and thank you for reporting it - youve just made linux better ;-) Which puppy version do you run?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

DMcCunney

#17 Post by DMcCunney »

Feel wrote:I just noticed that something got wrong in the menu entries update, and now my program list is almost blank (only the Desktop entry is still here.).
I hope this is just a problem of mine, otherwise there must be something wrong somewhere.
I saw that too. If you use JWM as your window manager, the desktop is controlled by a file called PuppyPin in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer. The OO3 PET replaces the default PuppyPin file instead of adding entries to it.

Users installing from this PET would be advised to make a backup copy of PuppyPin before installing OO3, and copying the backup over the replacement the PET makes. (The PET does properly add the OO programs to the appropriate menus, so you don't require the icons to run the programs.
______
Dennis

Feel

#18 Post by Feel »

Wouldn't it be simpler to fix this bug in the package instead of having all its user backin-up configurations and so on?
I know it doesn't sound nice, but I think this is the most rational way to go.

ecomoney

#19 Post by ecomoney »

I totally agree, but I dont know how to do it. Openoffice is the second most popular open source package in the world (after firefox) and its a shame that puppy doesnt have a working package for it.

Feel

#20 Post by Feel »

ecomoney wrote:.....
Congratulations "Feel" on your first successful bug-kill, and thank you for reporting it - youve just made linux better ;-) Which puppy version do you run?
Excuse me for not answering completely before, I was in a hurry and didn't read completely your message.
I used to run MacPupFoxy1.5 (I don't know on which Puppy it's based... maybe Dingo) at the time, but then I got tired of it and switched to Puppy 4.00.
Now I haven't installed OO3 this time but I think I will soon have to.