Fatdog 110

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
kirk

Fatdog 110

#1 Post by kirk »

Here's a puplet based on 4.1.2.

Changes:

* Add Firefox 3.06 to replace Seamonkey.
* Add Komposer
* Add Sylpheed
* Add Scribus
* Add Pdfedit
* Add Gimp
* Add Kino & needed libraries.
* Add full Xorg 7.3
* Add SDL libraries.
* Add Qt3 libraries.
* Add Openbox and Lxpanel
* Add US English dictionary to Abiword.
* Upgrade to Flash 10
* Upgrade Gftp.
* Changed kernels to linux-2.6.28.4
* Changed to squashfs 3.4 with lzma compression.
* Upgraded ALSA libraries.
* Changed pup_save from ext2 to ext3.
* Fixed cancel job bug in CUPS.
* Added modem support for Blackberry (Verizon 8803e)
* Other stuff I can't remember.

Added the kernel source to the devx file along with qt3, SVN, and other stuff.

It's 124MB, you'll find it here:

EDIT: Please wait, I'll be uploading a bug fix version soon:

Also, you will find the devx_100.sfs file there along with a pet package for ATI fglrx.

I had originally built this with T2, but I was having problems with Xorg 7.4 with some hardware. At least the version I pulled. So I decided to just use the same package selection with 4.1.2.

EDIT: It's probably a good idea to disable automatic updates in Firefox. Go to Edit - Preferences - Update.

EDIT2: I did not compile the extra modem drivers. I did enable "Development" modules. So there is some different hardware support. For instance, the rtl8180 wifi module is in there.

Last edited by kirk on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 03:19, edited 4 times in total.

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk,

Thank you for the new Fatdog. My first impressions are good, really like Firefox as default browser. One problem, so far, Alsa is broken and will not configure my Soundblaster card.

The Puppy hardware interface information follows:
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.28.4/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi.ko
license: GPL
description: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture sequencer MIDI synth.
author: Frank van de Pol <fvdpol@coil.demon.nl>, Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>
depends: snd-seq-midi-event,snd-seq,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device
vermagic: 2.6.28.4 SMP mod_unload modversions 686 4KSTACKS
parm: output_buffer_size:Output buffer size in bytes. (int)
parm: input_buffer_size:Input buffer size in bytes. (int)
Thanks,
Jim

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

Sorry to hear that Jim. I went to the latest kernel and ALSA libraries because there was no sound on my kids laptops with Puppy 4.1.2. You could try installing the ALSA library from Puppy 4.1.2. It's here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 1.0.16.pet

If it still doesn't work then the driver for your card might be broken in this kernel version.

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

Hey kirk,

Here's a mirror..it's been a bit slow lately but will improve soon.

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/kirk/Fatdog/iso/110/

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Nym1

#5 Post by Nym1 »

# uname -a
Linux puppypc 2.6.28.4 #1 SMP Mon Feb 9 17:04:37 GMT-8 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

droope

#6 Post by droope »

would download it, but it d/l's at 7kb/sec, too slow for my patience. Will try later :)

Puppy Dog

#7 Post by Puppy Dog »

Nicely done with a professional appearance.
Full screen video --a BIG +
Looking forward to trying it on a laptop.

Thanks Kirk
"Best In Show"

raffy

new class

#8 Post by raffy »

Nice fat dog. :D The new kernel gives it a unique place together with Ultrapup. Thanks very much!

Will try it with the netbooks that I encounter.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

eztuxer

#9 Post by eztuxer »

Sounds promising, I'll see how well the new kernel handles hardware support on the AAO.
Dwnld speed is about 8 Kb/s in western Europe.
Warning: Edit your prefs in Firefox to disable automatic update, (I ended up with no browser after it installed a new "non puppy" linux version on some ohter puplet). :(
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

kirk

#10 Post by kirk »

eztuxer,

Thanks. Turning off automatic update is a good idea. I'll make that the default if/when I post an update.

eztuxer

#11 Post by eztuxer »

First AAO report:
Wifi works out of the box, nicer Pwireless with % display instead of esoteric "16/70" quality rating.
Sound card works out of the box too including internal mic.
Haven't tested webcam yet as it needs lucview installed or skype to see if it works.
SD card mounting fine in left slot, not in right, sony memory stick neither.
This is how it works on the CD.
After installing on a 512 MB USB key, all I get is a black screen after booting (Xorg not working) no console either.
Could 512 MB be too little ?

Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Another nice variant.
Would benefit from Opera10alpha instead of Firefox.
Time for those who can to grasp the nettle and fix the no-shutoff feature unique to this breed. I believe the solution has now been given on this Forum although I don't pretend to understand the discussions. Just because our Great Leader prefers to ignore it doesn't absolve wannabes from lifting this curse once and for all.

In the meantime, kirk, please observe the rules of this board and resize your picture. Thank you.

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

eztuxer,

I booted from CD, Frugal, and Full hard drive installs, but did not try flash. I don't think I changed anything from 4.1.2 that would have broke it, but maybe. I think 512mb should be big enough. I've got a 512MB flash stick around somewhere, I'll try it in a few days.

Sage,

I tried Opera 10 alpha 1/2 for quite a while. It is a big improvement over Opera 9, but still has quite a few problems. It crashes quite a bit, the FTP client (if you can call it that) is very poor, you can't post comments on Barry's blog, and there was some other problem my feeble mind can't remember right now. It does have some nice features though. It is is alpha, so maybe it will all be fixed for final.

As far as the "no-shutoff" problem, is this the one that effects PCs with early ACPI implementations? (~8 years old) And booting with acpi=force fixes the problem? I wonder if making acpi=force has any disadvantages? Maybe on really old apm only PCs?

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

Interesting - I've not had any of those problems with O-10-alpha (yet).
As for the no-shutdown issue, yes, acpi=force usually fixes it for me with SiS chipsets on desktop PCs but there are reports that it doesn't work on several laptops. This is a very serious mater for the millions of SiS users around the world, as you'll be able to read on an item I am about to pen for MarkU about his Newyearspup. I think this shutoff failure must be addressed - it only affects Puppy.

eztuxer

#15 Post by eztuxer »

Kirk,
Tried to install on 1 GB partition on new 16 GB key, same problem, black screen, no X, no console, nada.
I noticed that on the 512 MB key only 31 MB left free.
Don't want to install in on HDD cause when tried earlier with other puppies on other PC, it messed the grub and I lost access to all other partition OS.

kirk

#16 Post by kirk »

eztuxer,

Something must have installed wrong. I just installed to a 512mb flash stick. I had over 300MB free to create my pup_save file. I'm posting this from my flash boot now. You should have these files on your flash stick:
# ls -lh

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.3M 2009-02-16 19:04 initrd.gz
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 12K 2009-02-16 19:04 ldlinux.sys
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 120M 2009-02-17 03:05 pup_110.sfs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 256M 2009-02-17 03:09 pup_save.3fs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49 2009-02-16 19:11 syslinux.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2009-02-16 19:04 usbflash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2.1M 2009-02-16 19:04 vmlinuz

#
Well, minus the pup_save.3fs until you shutdown the first time. When you run the "Puppy Universal Installer" you should pick the first option "USB Flash Drive". Then on the next screen click the top button "Install Puppy to sdb1". It's probably something other than sdb1 for you, but that's what it is on my rig. Do not pick the other options, Combo Format etc. Then tell it to copy the files off the CD.

You know, it actually boots quite fast from flash. I'll have to recommend that to some folks.

eztuxer

#17 Post by eztuxer »

Well this seems to be an AAO (Acer Aspire One) specific bug. :shock:
I've checked the MD5sum: O.K.
I burned a new CD from that verified iso, to make sure it wasn't a bad burn problem.
It works on the CD just like before, and the same black screen on the USB stick.
I followed the same procedure to make the USB stick as I've done dozens of time trying my puplet during development stage, and a few other puplets too.
I'm "flashing" it on a bootable EXT2 partition made with Gparted.
I'll try later on ad different computer if possible (must make a "floppy GRUB") for my older laptop, if it works since it is USB(1) blind under puppy... :(

The files on the stick:

kirk

#18 Post by kirk »

Hold off on downloading this. I'll be uploading another version soon, with some bugs fixed and some new features.

KJ

#19 Post by KJ »

Kirk ... Thanks for your work on FatDog and I like it very much.. I thought I'd relate my experiance while you are still working on your upgrade.

I've ran it on two boxes from the same live cd and also from a bootable usb flash drive and have noted a couple problems. I have icewm installed on the flash .3fs's (a different named .3fs for each box). When starting up in Openbox or JWM, I have to click on the desktop to get the taskbar to show which I find confusing Also some times after an X restart the panel for Openbox opens up in front of the Ice or JWM taskbar.. I'm starting to like Openbox as you have it set up but icewm is still my favorite.

Most problematic, I run an rt73usb based wifi on one of the boxes (which is autodetected by the stock Puppy 412 but not several derivations including this one). In some cases, I can use NDiswrapper to load the XP driver and get it to work but with FatDog using NDiswrapper actually locks up the system totally requiring a manual power off. Only FatDog causes a total lockup.

Keep up the good work .... KJ

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

KJ,

The task panel not showing up sometimes until you click on the desktop is a problem. I've talked to others who run this configuration of Rox, Openbox, and Lxpanel, they have the same problem. No solution. As far as Lxpanel opening up in front of the Ice or JWM taskbar, that's probably some incompatibility with what I've done to Fatdog and your Icewm package. I haven't had that problem. Check the last few lines in fixmenus and maybe .xinitrc.

I checked, the rt73usb module is in there along with the firmware. You could try booting up with your USB wifi stick plugged in, and open a terminal and type: lsmod. See if the rt73usb module is loaded. If not type: modprobe rt73usb. If the module is loaded but it's not working, make sure the firmware installed, it should be at /lib/firmware/rt73.bin. If the module is not loading on it's own, the product ids may have changed in this kernel, and sometimes they overlap.

Ndiswrapper worked for a card I just tried, but I compiled this kernel with 4k stacks, which can cause problems with some Windows drivers used with ndiswrapper. Probably like you described.