Musician pups: Ardour, JACK-Qjackctl, Vkeybd, several Synths

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
pyrael

#21 Post by pyrael »

now,

I have a question.....

I use the planet ccrma packages along with F7_64 at home, but I am REALLY interested in knowing if these packages will work on puppy 3.0?

I have a 400Mhz Thinkpad that i would love to have a smaller version of my studio on - For quick moments of inspiration and working "on the road"

I would switch my Main rig over to puppy, but alas. Puppy doesn't have a 64 bit kernel as far as I know. And after attempting 6 builds of a working kernel, I destroyed my F7 install (Dont ask) took me 3 days to get grub working again. So I have accepted defeat and won't attempt what is obviously NOT my expertise.:P

If anyone is willing to build me a kernel That would work with my etup, i would gladly switch.

Here's what I have and need supported(in case someone get's the gumption):
Dual Core 64 bit Intel CPU (not core duo or C2D, just the plain dual core they first came out with)
real time patches etc...
nvidia support for the 7200GS chipset
Intel HDA sound (soon to be M-Audio 1010LT so the envy24 mixer would help too :wink:)

If someone can get that to work (I don't care what version of puppy, although the latest stable apps would be nice LOL) I'd immediately switch my studio to puppy. For obvious reasons :P

Thanks in advance
Py

nic2109

#22 Post by nic2109 »

.... since we're in "Wish-list Mode" ... :D

Has anyone got a Sibelius like/compatible setup working in Puppy? Or some other product for producing scores? For my wants it doesn't need more than 4 voices (divided) for an SSAATTBB choir, but others may need more.

If something's there already, then just reply with a link.

Thanks.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

jamesbond

#23 Post by jamesbond »

@pyrael: Thanks. For my main audio needs, I switch to either 64studio or ubuntustudio these days. The instruction I left was for those who would like to do it in puppy. I don't do the 1-bit dithering though - too lazy :p

Btw I don't think your 400mhz setup is enough, especially if you use soft synth. I found that jamin eat a lot of cpu time --- enough that I was forced to upgrade from my old trusty 8-year old Athlon XP to Althon64 XP dual-core.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

pyrael

#24 Post by pyrael »

Oh, I wasn't going to use soft synth on the laptop :P Just basic GM crap sounds from the soundcard. :P And maybe a MIDI editor just to have the Ideas saved so That I could transfer them to my main studio for the "real deal" :P

I may be upgrading to a better laptop soon anyway. Although if I don't find a decent one in my (cheap) price range I may just resort to popping Cakewalk PA9 on it with 98SE or 2k (since I have the coasters........er I mean disks laying around :P) and accept defeat. As I said, The laptop is just for putting down the Ideas and such. (I don't think I can even plug my guitar into that thing:P

Py

capoverde

#25 Post by capoverde »

Hi all,

pity I saw this thread only now, I'm also trying to setup my home studio with Puppy: only Audacity and Timidity are working for the moment, but that's better than nothing. Please put also my name in the Ardour wish list...

@nick2109:

for perfect scoreprinting with old-fashioned but very efficient text input, I suggest ABCPlus: http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/

It is a polyphonic version of ABC, a simple and straightforward music notation language you'll easily learn to handle: don't be fooled by the apparent sluggishness, it's actually faster than graphic-input programs (anyway, there are graphic-input addons if you want).

I've been using it for almost three years now, mostly for choral scores. I simply opened the rpm then copied the files in Puppy's same-name folders: runs smoothly. I did post my result as a DotPup, but it was deleted... possibly because I didn't include the manual.

Only annoyance, EPDF (in 3.01) doesn't "watch" a file and Ghostscript (in 1.08 to 2.14) needs pressing the "r" key every time even if the "watch file" option is set, possibly because of Rox's behavior.

I've uploaded one of my scores here to let you see what comes out:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1462058

There are other notation programs of this kind (Lilypond, PMW, MUP, to say a few) but IMHO this one is the simplest and lightest, with excellent graphic quality. Only GUIDO beats it for complex notation, but sadly is no longer developed.

Dingo

#26 Post by Dingo »

very good score! it's your own composition? (I see also an anacrusis at beginning before regular beat bracket in 4/4) I will run to download this program, but, it's a way to hear what you compose in real time or not? It wolud be useful, without I must go to my piano any time

a final question: I must use:

unrpm to extract rpm? and then? what happens?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

capoverde

#27 Post by capoverde »

We're going a little OT here, I'll just say it's a Negro Spiritual, i.e., a traditional American Blacks' chant I found arranged by André Van Ryckeghem in the CPDL library (www.cpdl.org) and rearranged it a bit to my taste.

BTW, the original version is made with TeX-music, and since the CPDL site isn't working at this moment I've posted it here so you can compare:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1462052

Yes, unrpm should unpack the files, which are in folders called /usr, /etc and so on: just copy what's inside into Puppy's folder of the same name.

There are very nice utilities for ABCPlus (see main page in Sourceforge) with which you can obtain a MIDIfile from an ABC text file and vice-versa, though some adjustment is generally needed. This way you can hear how an ABCPlus score (text file) sounds without leaving your PC.
However, let me recommend to train your musical reading skills till the music resounds in your head when you read a score, just as words resound in your head when you read text.

Ah, for Pyrael and all who may like the idea of getting a new laptop for 10$ plus some everyday clicking, here's a site offering just that (I hope this is OK to comply with the forum's rules):

http://3laptops.com//?r=364490

You must then register and get credits every time you click inside their messages, or someone registers with your referral; when you have enough credits, you can have a brand new laptop sent to you with no further expenses.

I'm registered, and if you register using the above link you'll also give me credits -- if you don't like the idea, just use the plain site name; if you do, thank you.

Mefo

MuseScore while Sibelius

#28 Post by Mefo »

nic2109 wrote:.... since we're in "Wish-list Mode" ... :D

Has anyone got a Sibelius like/compatible setup working in Puppy? Or some other product for producing scores? For my wants it doesn't need more than 4 voices (divided) for an SSAATTBB choir, but others may need more.

If something's there already, then just reply with a link.

Thanks.
I also want to try installing Sibelius. I understand it has to run with Timidity and Wine and maybe some dlls added. I also understand is slow. I will like to have Sibelius in Puppy since I have many scores, but I may like to find a nice native score writer ...

In the meantime, tthuxx made a great job compiling MuseScore 0.9.2

here is the link:

http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/progra ... e0.9.2.pet

there are some graphics for buttons on top that do not show, but if you let the pointer for a while you will discover the function or check out with

http://mscore.sourceforge.net/wpic/sc1.png

Once installed please help me to make it multitimbral. I do not know how to do that with soundfonts. I think it may be better to use it with Timidity too ...

I hope it will work. Please post any bugs.

Mefo

bill

Ardour and timidty help needed

#29 Post by bill »

Well it seems I am a day late and a dollar short :roll: in finding Ardour and.Timidity to add to a recording distro running Puppy (Dingo) 4 Has anyone out there had any success with these addins.I did manage to get "Audacity sorted thanks to plinej :D thanks,bill

ttuuxxx

Re: Ardour and timidty help needed

#30 Post by ttuuxxx »

bill wrote:Well it seems I am a day late and a dollar short :roll: in finding Ardour and.Timidity to add to a recording distro running Puppy (Dingo) 4 Has anyone out there had any success with these addins.I did manage to get "Audacity sorted thanks to plinej :D thanks,bill
Hi bill
Last week a couple of puppy users have joined forces to build a studio version of puppy 3.0.1 and we'll be compiling just about everything we need for this new puppy release. You might want to consider using this when we get it off the ground, But a quick fix for your problem very might be installing gslapt
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15&t=28994
and update it..(Sometimes you have to update twice before you get all the sources.)

After the 3.0.1 release is finished I could see it moving up to 4.0 series , just kind of waiting for some bugs to be fixed in 4.0 before releasing any variants.

once installed you should be able to get just about anything you want, It will be larger in size because it wasn't compiled for your system fully, but that will only be for the first couple of programs until you get the base down.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

bill

Ardour and Timidity help needed

#31 Post by bill »

Hi TTuuxxx.Thanks for your quick response.I am a rank amateur when it comes to anything Linux and only found out about LiveCDs a mere few days ago and after Dling and running Puppy (Dingo) ,I must say I was astonished ! In fact I haven't booted brand x since then and there may be some irregularities but if there are,I haven't seen them yet.I am open to any suggestions to get recording capabilities and any distro that has these capabilities is just fine with me or way to add them.Thanks for the search engine tip but it may be a bit premature as my learning curve falls way short at the moment and had not plinej done all the heavy lifting with Audacity,I probably would still be scratching my head.Anyway I will have a look and see what happens.I have already shot myself in the foot several times but what the heck,Like they say down in Oz,No worries ! Mate! :wink: I will keep an eye out and see what develops.thanks,bill

bill

Installed slapt and think I .have .Ardour in. /var/slapt-get

#32 Post by bill »

The problem I'm now facing is "how to proceed with them" Would someone give me a hint ? .Seems I can't figure out even how to view them.cheers.bill

bill

About "Gslapt" and "Ardour"

#33 Post by bill »

Hi All, First ,Please understand I am a newbie and this is just a report on my findings trying to get "Ardour" using "Gslapt"
I Dled Gslapt and installed ,it seemed to go right in.I was required to re-boot in order to see it in the menu.
I opened "Gslapt" went through the update twice I think typing in Ardour in the.search box.Finally ardour appeared,I highlighted it and set about Dling it.Everything went fine to completion but I couldn't see anything of it.Nothing !

If you hit "Edit" then "preferences" .in Gslapt the default directory is '/var/slapt-get' but for some reason I couldn't find anything of it in that directory.

So going through the motions several times,I didn't get any joy.

So I decided I would change the default directory from /var/slapt-get to /root/my-applications/bin/ and gave it another go.Presto ,all the files can be seen in that directory.Now why this happened ,I don't have a clue,but anyway you certainly can't do anything,if you can't find the files.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the "Gslapt.pet" doesn't have all the required dependents or it is an anomalie of Gslapt trying to work in Puppy (Dingo) 4. I'll leave this up to you Gurus because this is way past me.cheers,bill

ttuuxxx

Re: About "Gslapt" and "Ardour"

#34 Post by ttuuxxx »

bill wrote:Hi All, First ,Please understand I am a newbie and this is just a report on my findings trying to get "Ardour" using "Gslapt"
I Dled Gslapt and installed ,it seemed to go right in.I was required to re-boot in order to see it in the menu.
I opened "Gslapt" went through the update twice I think typing in Ardour in the.search box.Finally ardour appeared,I highlighted it and set about Dling it.Everything went fine to completion but I couldn't see anything of it.Nothing !

If you hit "Edit" then "preferences" .in Gslapt the default directory is '/var/slapt-get' but for some reason I couldn't find anything of it in that directory.

So going through the motions several times,I didn't get any joy.

So I decided I would change the default directory from /var/slapt-get to /root/my-applications/bin/ and gave it another go.Presto ,all the files can be seen in that directory.Now why this happened ,I don't have a clue,but anyway you certainly can't do anything,if you can't find the files.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the "Gslapt.pet" doesn't have all the required dependents or it is an anomalie of Gslapt trying to work in Puppy (Dingo) 4. I'll leave this up to you Gurus because this is way past me.cheers,bill
Hi Bil,l as Gslapt goes, just about everything will install and work on puppy 4.0, Around 10% won't, I'll look at the ardour later on.
But what I did manage to get working on puppy 4.0 Is MuseScore with all the menu icons, Buttttttttt it only runs from Console for some strange reason, if anyone can fix that I would be more than happy, It took me about 8 different compiles before I got it this good :)
I Just uploaded it today http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/al ... -0.9.2.pet
just open console and type mscore
don't worry about the missing dependences when installing, its all there just that all the QT4 files are in /opt when the install manager is looking in /lib and /usr/lib and not /opt.
ttuuxxx enjoy
Ps as soon as someone figures out the menus start thing I'll Officially release it.

differential

Installing Virtual Keyboard on Puppy 4.1

#35 Post by differential »

I am not sure if this string is too old to continue but here goes.

I have tried to install VirtualKeyboard on Puppy 4.1. Also installed TclTk8.4 . They both seem to install ok and i get a menu entry but it won't work.

Just wanted to check that there are not incompatibilities between the programme and the os and I am not attempting the impossible.

All i need is a simple frequency generator to make sure i am singing the right note and i am on rather slow dial up so cannot download anything over a few MB.

Thanks.

John Doe

#36 Post by John Doe »

you might need tk also.

if that doesn't work type:

vkeybd

in a shell and report back any errors.

differential

Virtual Keyboard

#37 Post by differential »

Thanks John doe for replying. Here is the situation:

Virtual keyboard and TclTk8.4 have installed into /usr/local. Also according to instructions earlier in this thread (james bond April 22 2007), I copied /usr/local/TclTk8.4/lib to /usr/lib.

/usr/local/TclTk8.4 contains a file called "Choose TclTk-Version". The options include 8.4 and 8.4-Tls. Clicking on 8.4-Tls produces a message that it has been activated ok. It installs a file called tls. Clicking on 8.4 produces a message to say this version is not installed.

When I type "Vkeybd" into the terminal, I get
Vkeybd: Command not found.
when I type in "VirtualKeyboard", I get
vkeybd: error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I didn't install tk, mainly because I couldn't find a download that looked right.
However /usr/local/TclTk8.4/lib contains files called tcl8.4 and tk8.4. It also contains the above libtk8.4.so and when I attempt to open it with Geany, I get a message to the effect that it cannot be opened.

I tried replacing libtk8.4.so with one from at puppylinux.ca but this was marked "there is an error in file" and did not improve things. Other libtk8.4.so downloads seemed to be os specific.

Thanks, Russell.

ttuuxxx

Re: Virtual Keyboard

#38 Post by ttuuxxx »

differential wrote:Thanks John doe for replying. Here is the situation:

Virtual keyboard and TclTk8.4 have installed into /usr/local. Also according to instructions earlier in this thread (james bond April 22 2007), I copied /usr/local/TclTk8.4/lib to /usr/lib.

/usr/local/TclTk8.4 contains a file called "Choose TclTk-Version". The options include 8.4 and 8.4-Tls. Clicking on 8.4-Tls produces a message that it has been activated ok. It installs a file called tls. Clicking on 8.4 produces a message to say this version is not installed.

When I type "Vkeybd" into the terminal, I get
Vkeybd: Command not found.
when I type in "VirtualKeyboard", I get
vkeybd: error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I didn't install tk, mainly because I couldn't find a download that looked right.
However /usr/local/TclTk8.4/lib contains files called tcl8.4 and tk8.4. It also contains the above libtk8.4.so and when I attempt to open it with Geany, I get a message to the effect that it cannot be opened.

I tried replacing libtk8.4.so with one from at puppylinux.ca but this was marked "there is an error in file" and did not improve things. Other libtk8.4.so downloads seemed to be os specific.

Thanks, Russell.
Hi maybe try these tcl/tk pet packages
ttuuxxx

eztuxer

#39 Post by eztuxer »

zigbert wrote:I've now got Ardour working. Downloaded Slackware package with dependencies. Then used Barrys 'tgz2pet' tool. So quick, so easy.
Hi !
Is that .pet somewhere for dwnld ?

ttuuxxx

#40 Post by ttuuxxx »

eztuxer wrote:
zigbert wrote:I've now got Ardour working. Downloaded Slackware package with dependencies. Then used Barrys 'tgz2pet' tool. So quick, so easy.
Hi !
Is that .pet somewhere for dwnld ?
look here you'll find a couple
http://www.google.com/search?q=ardour&s ... ylinux.ca/
(love my puppylinux.ca search engine :) )