Fixed: Widescreen laptop: need xorg but can't install it

Booting, installing, newbie
boohickey11

Fixed: Widescreen laptop: need xorg but can't install it

#1 Post by boohickey11 »

I'm just learning linux and I got Puppy to boot off my USB. It's the coolest thing i've ever done with my PC. My problem is that my laptop is widescreen. I've tried to install xorg.conf but when I tried to reboot the program asks for my keyboard and mouse type and then asks for a password. At this point i have to restart the computer which doesn't allow my installation of xorg to save to my Thumb Drive.

Is there a way to sync my Thumb Drive before rebooting or another solution.

Thanks for any feedback
Last edited by boohickey11 on Fri 09 Dec 2005, 05:55, edited 3 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Hi,
What are the vertical and horizontal pixels of the LCD panel?

I'm getting Pup 1.0.7alpha ready -- a few more days probably -- it has a Xorg Video Wizard that makes setting up Xorg hopefully easy -- yes, 1.0.7 has Xorg!
The Wizard offers a choice of screen resolutions, but no manual entry, so I will have to make sure that your requirement is in the list.

#3 Post by Guest »

I think what your asking me is 1280x800. And the Bit rate is 32.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Anonymous wrote:I think what your asking me is 1280x800. And the Bit rate is 32.
What do you mean by "Bit rate" -- do you mean the number of bits to represent a pixel (the color depth)?

boohickey11

#5 Post by boohickey11 »

Um, maybe. Basically, on the settings in the display properties tab in XP the Resolution is 1280x800 and color quality is [Highest (32bit)]