Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Nov 2019, 17:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Samsung NC10 Wifi Fix (AR5007EG)
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
djp

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan 2009, 12:32    Post subject:  Samsung NC10 Wifi Fix (AR5007EG)  

I've been playing with Puppy (4.1.2 official) for the first time in earnest over the last few days trying to get it going on my Samsung NC10 netbook. The first major snag has been getting the internal wifi card to work - you guessed it - Atheros AR5007EG!

The first try was using the updated madwifi driver posted by tempestuous. This worked provided I turned off encryption, but no go with my usual WPA_PSK setup or WEP. Sad

I couldn't find any other clue in the forums, so, not being faint hearted, it was time to build new drivers from source. I decided to give the compat-wireless source a go (wireless.kernel.org). Managed to set up and build okay after a few false steps, and low and behold I can now connect wireless without problem with encryption using the ath5k driver instead of ath-pci. Smile

Even better, it fixed the oddity of having both wifi0 and ath5 "blinkies" in the system area - now just a single wlan0. Very Happy

I have now also figured out how to package the new driver as a .pet which is attached in the hopes it may helps others struggling with AR5007EG problems on Samsung or similar kit.

For me it works fine with install followed by reboot.

Hope this helps David
ath5k-k2.6.25.15.pet
Description  Updated ath5k driver for AR5xxxx from compat-wireless-2.6-old Jan 09
pet

Download 
Filename  ath5k-k2.6.25.15.pet 
Filesize  172.79 KB 
Downloaded  1765 Time(s) 
omnidecay

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2009, 20:15    Post subject: help installing?  

I have been having problems getting puppy linux installed on my NC10 and was hoping you could give me some assistance. Right now I am just using the live cd retro 4.2.1 because the other live cd (with the new kernel) was kid of glitchy...I downloaded your ar500 wifi fix but when I clicked on it inside puppy. It still doesnt recognize ethernet or wifi. However, the same version live cd minus the retro picks up ethernet right away. Since you seem to have this nailed down. Could you maybe help a newbie out getting this to work Smile??
gtbrusil

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2009, 22:11    Post subject: Muchas gracias djp  

As a linux newbie, I have been trying to use some linux distributions in order to get better acquainted with them. Little did I realize when I bought my Toshiba A205-S5825 (with the dreaded AR5007EG wireless card) that I would have so much trouble connecting. Finally, I saw your pet, loaded it, and now everything is working great. Many, many thanks djp.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 07:17    Post subject:  

djp wrote:
The first try was using the updated madwifi driver posted by tempestuous. This worked provided I turned off encryption, but no go with my usual WPA_PSK setup or WEP.

Did you try pre-loading the wifi encryption modules, as suggested here?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37315

Well done about compiling the ath5k module under 2.6.25.16. There's just a small naming error with your dotpet - you called it "k2.6.25.15".

The ath5k has already been reported working well with Atheros AR5007EG wifi devices under the 2.6.27 kernel in wow's UltraPup.
jockjunior

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug 2009, 05:06    Post subject:  

HI all,
have just installed djp's dot.pet on a Fujitsu laptop using Puppy 4.2.1. This is the first time I have been able to get the wireless card to work. A big thank you. Now I can avoid using Vista on this laptop. No problems installing and after reboot connected first time to my VM connection thru our dlink router.

Fujitsu Semens Esprimo V5515

thanks again

jock
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug 2009, 12:46    Post subject:  

(bookmark)

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Langly

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep 2009, 10:36    Post subject:  

Yay.

Another satisfied customer. Great pet.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 01:26    Post subject:  

Some clarification about this ath5k driver is necessary.
Puppy versions with the 2.6.25.16 kernel: v4.1 / v4.2 / v4.3-retro
already contain the ath5k kernel module, but it's unreliable.

djp has provided an updated/improved version of this driver in this thread, which clearly works better.
But strictly speaking, the ath5k driver is not really necessary, because Puppy already supports Atheros G-mode wifi devices with the ath_pci driver from the MADWiFi project.
And in the cases where this standard version of the ath_pci driver fails to support Atheros variants such as the AR5007EG chipset, there's a modified ath_pci driver version here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=237740#237740
Newer kernels such as 2.6.30 in the upcoming Puppy 4.3 are a whole different story. Read about it here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46339
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: