Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 07:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
[INSERT] kills Seamonkey when posting to forum <KLUDGED>
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 7 [92 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 19:40    Post subject:  

Cool. Turns out I only had to recompile gtk with the --enable-debug option. Works fine without touching glib.

I also compiled it with --enable-xinput=yes, because otherwise people with drawing tablets can't use pressure sensitivity, and I'm sure there are other peripherals that use xinput.

Just install this over your existing gtk. Note: you probably can't use this as a standalone gtk package in Unleashed. Most likely you need to copy this into the current package, overwriting the files, because I believe the original package has some other configuration files and such that aren't in this one.
gtk+-2.12.1-xinput-debug.pet
EDIT: file removed - it's slightly broken - does not work with SCIM. See several posts down, I posted a corrected version.

Tested on 4.11 and 4.12 only.

You'll have to restart at least the browser before it will take effect.

Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sat 25 Apr 2009, 15:29; edited 2 times in total
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 20:27    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
Well, I though I had it working fine, but I think it broke Geany now, so I just took down my package before anybody borks themselves (hopefully they haven't already...).

I will test further.
Ooops, downloaded but didn't install yet. Oef.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 21:48    Post subject:  

Oh, that reminds me: the working one I posted above will also correct the broken one, in case anybody did install it. At least, it seems to have. Everything that was goofed up before (geany, gnumeric, abiword, firefox's icons) is working now.

disciple

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2008, 06:07    Post subject:  HOORAY!  

Sorry I didn't test earlier PG, I didn't see it Sad

Rather than installing it:
1. I took it apart, stripped the libs, and found they were still substantially bigger than the ones that came in Puppy, so I thought I'd try replacing files one by one.
2. I checked that INSERT still killed seamonkey.
3. I replaced libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1 but INSERT still killed seamonkey
4. I replaced libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1, and INSERT doesn't kill seamonkey anymore. HOORAY!!!! SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

So it is fixed by either:
1. just replacing libgdk, or
2. (less likely IMNSHO) replacing libgtk and libgdk

Now we need to:
1. compile the latest GTK to see if it has the same problem
2. if so, upgrade so we can solve the bug without bloat, and if not report it properly.

Now I see this in a terminal when I press INSERT in seamonkey:

Code:
(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_get_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_BUFFER (buffer)' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_get_iter_at_mark: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_MARK (mark)' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_text_layout_get_block_cursor: assertion `layout != NULL' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_layout_get_cursor_locations: assertion `layout != NULL' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_invalidate_rect: assertion `window != NULL' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_invalidate_rect: assertion `window != NULL' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_get_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_BUFFER (buffer)' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_get_iter_at_mark: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_MARK (mark)' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_text_layout_get_block_cursor: assertion `layout != NULL' failed

(seamonkey-bin:8528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_layout_get_cursor_locations: assertion `layout != NULL' failed

Good night Smile

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 00:08    Post subject:  

Pizza, I didn't notice your .pet until this morning. I installed it immediately but haven't had time to restart (saving the session) and test it until now. While writing this I've hit the insert key several times without any effect at all. It looks like you not only found the cause of the problem but fixed it. Good job! You get two Attaboys. Very Happy
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 01:21    Post subject:  

A: I didn't find this, thekevinday did. 13 posts above. I just put together a package.

B: It isn't really "fixed", just worked-around. What I did was enable debug-mode. But we shouldn't need to have that enabled.

disciple

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 01:25    Post subject:  

And C: it seems to be much bigger with debug enabled.
- - -
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 01:44    Post subject:  

Part of that is that I also enabled xinput, so that people with tablets can take advantage of them without having to recompile GTK (it always used to be enabled in older versions of Puppy, pre 4.0). But I did test it without that first, so I know it's only the enable-debug option that was needed.

Though I don't think that makes a big size difference. I imagine the debug option makes up the bulk of that increase.

EDIT: Actually, by my measurements, xinput adds only about 8k, after stripping. Cool. I thought it would be a bit more than that. Well, that's how much it adds without debug. It probably adds more with debug, because then the debug info for xinput has to be included too. But I'm not about to recompile it again to compare that too. Takes too long. Would rather see if I can find those ZZZzzzzzs I misplaced.

EDIT 2: Something seemed off. You said a substantial size increase, but I'm only seeing a 50k difference between the debug and non-debug versions I compiled. So I dug up the original, and there's a much bigger difference - 120k. So there is something else different. Possibly that I didn't specify an architecture, or maybe he explicitly disabled something. But those ZZZzzzzzzs are getting lonely without me, so I'll work on it another day. (Not tomorrow - must study for exams).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 10:03    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
A: I didn't find this, thekevinday did. 13 posts above. I just put together a package.

Oops, my mistake. Sorry, thekevinday. I should have read the whole thread more carefully before posting. You'll have to share Pizza's Attaboys. Smile

Quote:
B: It isn't really "fixed", just worked-around. What I did was enable debug-mode. But we shouldn't need to have that enabled.

All I had to do was click a few times and the problem went away. That's a fix as far as I'm concerned. Smile
vanchutr

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2008, 20:47    Post subject:
Subject description: insert key in seamonkey

Quote:

Does 4.1.2 incorporate the fix Pizzasgood found for the bug where hitting the Insert key while composing a message in this forum causes Seamonkey to close?

In 4.1.2, I'd used the fix pet (Pizzasgood's gtk+-2.12.1-xinput-debug.pet) but INSERT key still killed seamonkey when I'm posting in forum.

Sorry! Sorry!
I'd made mistake: Isert key won't killed seamonkey after "restart x server"
TK
disciple

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2009, 07:49    Post subject:  

FWIW I can confirm it is only necessary to replace libgdk, not libgtk Smile
Does anybody know if this fix is making it into 4.2?

- - -
droope

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2009, 11:52    Post subject:  

Ha! i always remove INS key, because firepup also shuts down when i am posting and I press INS:

Annoying as hell, once i had a 1340 words text written... of course i didn't had it anywhere else, so i simply cryed "WHY GOD??!??! WHY????" before i shut down PC and went to bed (at 7 pm).
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb 2009, 20:35    Post subject:  

No problems in 4.2 hitting the insert key.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
canbyte

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2009, 19:50    Post subject:  

Note that this problem also occurs with numlock off using the 0 key on the numbers pad. Must also be typing something in seamonkey such as filling in this form or profile form etc.
2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr 2009, 15:40    Post subject:  

The package I posted above doesn't cooperate with SCIM for some reason. I actually encountered the problem months ago, but didn't realize that it was GTK causing the problem.

I'm not sure what is wrong with it to cause the problem. Everything else seems to work.

Anyway, I recompiled it, and it turns out the debug option isn't actually needed - simply recompiling it is enough to stop the insert error from killing things. And this time, it worked with SCIM. I still used the --with-xinput option to support pressure sensitivity on my Wacom tablet.

gtk+-2.12.1-xinput.pet
gtk+_DEV-2.12.1-xinput.pet
gtk+_DOC-2.12.1-xinput.pet
gtk+_NLS-2.12.1-xinput.pet

These have been tested in both 4.1.2 and 4.2.

Page 6 of 7 [92 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: