Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes

panzerpuppy

#101 Post by panzerpuppy »

Is Dougal's remaster script included in this alpha?
(unlike Barry's default script,this one allows for making a *TRUE* remastered CD,complete with all settings and user modifications)

WhoDo

#102 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:if you want tcl/tk you have to go to series 2&3 for the libs.
Which are out of date. You guys are more than welcome to include my up-to-date Tcl and Tk 8.5.5 PETs, derived from the Slackware 12.2 packages, in 4.2 Unleashed if you wish
Ok, that does it for me! I've got a shipload of tcl/tk games that I can't use in 4.2 as well, so that's a bonus! At 4Mb combined I'll find a way to shoehorn these libraries in somehow. Dropping hiawatha, PPLOG and a few other oddballs seems the obvious solution. We'll see.

@Hairywill - just saw your post and I agree; 150kb is worth keeping. I'll find somewhere else to pare things down.

Those who have been asking about a development environment for Deepthought, try tcl/tk and gnocl.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

veronicathecow

Frugal boot issue solved

#103 Post by veronicathecow »

For some bizarre reason when I extracted the puppy iso using ISOMaster in PClinuxOS it extracted them all with names in CAPITALS.
Returned to lower case and it boots fine. Strange!

veronicathecow

Gxine Full screen mode not working

#104 Post by veronicathecow »

Trying to play any video file and pressing "F" or using menus system results in a flash of the screen and then the window is back to the same size.

Otherwise very impressed so far.
FLAC Yes
DVD Yes
Avi Yes
BBCi video player Yes

That covers ninty percent of my needs...

Thanks to all.
Tony

veronicathecow

Boot Manager Blacklist problems.

#105 Post by veronicathecow »

After blacklisting
parport_pc
lp
parport
snd_seq_midi_event

I rebooted and checked the blacklist again.
All these Items were shown in the black list but they are also shown in the left side currently loaded panel.

I have a feeling I have never seen this working from when it was introduced.
Cheers
Tony

veronicathecow

Mouse cursor size

#106 Post by veronicathecow »

Having bad eyesight a larger brighter mouse would be very helpful. I cannot find any easy way of doing this?
Cheers
Tony

smokey01

#107 Post by smokey01 »

My first impression of Puppy 4.2 is very nice.

Unfortunately I had to run it on my Eee PC 4G as it will not run on my desktop PC. I have no idea why but it must be something to do with the normal kernel as the retro 4.1.2 runs fine.

It seems to run fine until you get to the point where you have to select the mouse and the keyboard does not work. Prior to this the keyboard does work.

I would like to run the normal version of Puppy, in particular 4.2.

Does any one have any ideas what the problem might be?

Smokey

01micko

#108 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo!

Where are the JQ8 icons???? Only 27kb.

Ttuuxxx has persuaded jebaJQ8 to fix the weather font, ttuuxxx found that 'fontforge' editor, I extracted all the icons from the shareware font that we use, converted to SVG, packed 'em up and posted on Pwidgets thread. He said he is going to try to make his own design. I'm sure it will be a cracker! (Won't sigmund be surprised when he gets back. :wink: ).

I have said before that I am 'graphically challenged'! :lol: .So the task is in the correct hands! And there will be a minimum of recoding. And it will be even smaller!!!!

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Pizzasgood

#109 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, here. These are both the actual init script and a diff between it and the "original" from 420 alpha 1. What I did was have it detect whether the version in the pup_save.2fs file is old, and if so it says this:
This pup_save file is from Puppy $OLDPVERSION, but you are attempting to boot Puppy $NEWPVERSION.
Puppy can update the pup_save file to $NEWPVERSION, or it can unmount the pup_save file
and boot similarly to when you use pfix=ram, leaving the file unmodified.

Update Puppy from $OLDPVERSION to $NEWPVERSION? Yes/No:
If you type in 'y', 'Y', or 'yes' with any case you want, it will update normally. If you put in anything else, it will unmount the pup_save.2fs file, change the PUPMODE to 5, change several other variables, and then continue booting. The result isn't quite the same as using pfix=ram, in that you may have more partitions mounted in the end, but the pup_save.2fs file won't be modified.

(Technically it will be slightly changed, enough that the md5sum will change, but no actual data changes. That's a consequence of mounting a filesystem image I guess. You can verify that by making a checksum of a filesystem image, mounting it, immediately unmounting it, and grabbing another checksum. Probably due to stuff like access times within the filesystem image.)
Attachments
init.gz
add option to not update Puppy
(17 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
init.diff.gz
add option to not update Puppy
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#110 Post by Pizzasgood »

I also agree that the console should white-on-black as the default colorscheme. It would make it more obvious to new people that that is a commandline and not a text editor. Besides that, it just looks better. Black-on-white terminals are an abomination, IMHO.

You just add these lines to /root/.Xdefaults:

Code: Select all

Rxvt*background: black
Rxvt*foreground: white
While you're in there, if you could change the line 'Rxvt*saveLines: 1000' to use something more like 32000, that would be another nice usability enhancement.

Also, I didn't see that xorgwizard patch in it.

Not sure if you already did this, but if you change the timeout on the bootsplash, you should also use Geany to edit the 0rootfs_skeleton-420/usr/lib/syslinux/files/boot.msg file and update the part where it says it will boot normally in 5 seconds to say 8.

One last thing: I'm not sure why, but your iso had a syslinux.cfg file inside it. As in, right there in the .iso file, not inside the pup_xxx.sfs file. During the createpuppy script, it should have copied that file into it, but then it should have renamed it to isolinux.cfg. So I'm not sure what happened. Maybe your createpuppy script isn't quite right? The relevant parts look like this:

#v2.15 now create the isolinux.cfg file... v2.16rc modified...
echo "Creating isolinux-builds/isolinux.cfg..."
cp rootfs-complete/usr/lib/syslinux/files/* isolinux-builds/
mv isolinux-builds/syslinux.cfg isolinux-builds/isolinux.cfg
if [ "$INITTYPE" = "initrd" ];then
 INITRDSIZEK="`cat /tmp/initrdsize.txt`"
 if [ "$HUMONGOUS" = "" ];then
  #normal situation....
  echo "append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd" >> isolinux-builds/isolinux.cfg
 else
  echo "append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd ramdisk_size=$INITRDSIZEK" >> isolinux-builds/isolinux.cfg
 fi
else
 #cpio archive, initramfs.
 echo "append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd" >> isolinux-builds/isolinux.cfg
fi
sync
That file doesn't hurt anything, but it could be a symptom of a more serious bug.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

eightbitz

#111 Post by eightbitz »

Pizzasgood --

What do you think about putting the scrollbar on the right for the terminal?

rcrsn51

#112 Post by rcrsn51 »

@WhoDo: Here are three issues.

1. The smb symlink needed by CUPS to access a Windows printer has been missing since the Dingo betas.

2. Recent versions of the Universal Installer are making a frugal install difficult to complete because of GRUB issues. There have been numerous reports along the lines of "I couldn't get a frugal install to boot, so I did a full install and it worked." The PUI seems to be making the decision that anyone doing a frugal install already has a bootloader in place, so there is no need to install GRUB for them.

3. The perennial "pup_xxx.sfs file not found" error during bootup. It would be really helpful if there was a bit of dialogue suggesting what to do next, instead of just dropping the user out to a prompt.

Pizzasgood

#113 Post by Pizzasgood »

Pizzasgood --

What do you think about putting the scrollbar on the right for the terminal?
Hmmm, it feels weird and unnatural to me, like trying to type with my toes. But it's more consistent with everything else if it's on the right. My personal preference would be to keep it to the left, but I can see where maybe the right would be better.
Adding this line to /root/.Xdefaults makes it go to the right:

Rxvt*scrollBar_right: true

01micko

#114 Post by 01micko »

Neat tricks there Pizzasgood! I suppose if you put these lines instead in ~/.Xdefaults

Rxvt*background: "gray20"
Rxvt*foreground: "peru"
you can match sigmund's deepthought theme, what do know? It works!

(Love that signature btw, that would explain crop circles :lol: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

cb88

#115 Post by cb88 »

how about setting the hostname to "Deepthought-4.2" ? I think that would be a nice touch for future versions of puppy

makes it less hassle to figure out what version people are running either on the forum or IRC
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

ttuuxxx

#116 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:if you want tcl/tk you have to go to series 2&3 for the libs.
Which are out of date. You guys are more than welcome to include my up-to-date Tcl and Tk 8.5.5 PETs, derived from the Slackware 12.2 packages, in 4.2 Unleashed if you wish
Ok, that does it for me! I've got a shipload of tcl/tk games that I can't use in 4.2 as well, so that's a bonus! At 4Mb combined I'll find a way to shoehorn these libraries in somehow. Dropping hiawatha, PPLOG and a few other oddballs seems the obvious solution. We'll see.

@Hairywill - just saw your post and I agree; 150kb is worth keeping. I'll find somewhere else to pare things down.

Those who have been asking about a development environment for
Deepthought, try tcl/tk and gnocl.

Cheers
Hey whodo I had MUT working on 4.1 with the tcl/tk libs from 2 series that I download from Eric's site, sure they might be older, But they work anyways and they are tiny
tcl 578KB
http://puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/pet_pac ... -8.5a4.pet
TK 568KB
http://puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/pet_pac ... -8.5a4.pet
thats a lot less than 4MB :) 1.1MB
As long as it works I don't care which version.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Pizzasgood

Re: Mouse cursor size

#117 Post by Pizzasgood »

veronicathecow wrote:Having bad eyesight a larger brighter mouse would be very helpful. I cannot find any easy way of doing this?
Cheers
Tony
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 188#267188
The "whitelarge" theme sounds like what you're looking for.

WhoDo

#118 Post by WhoDo »

capoverde wrote:Cool splash screen, fast boot as (now) usual. My two cents here: wait 10 seconds or hit <Enter> for boot, any other key to stop countdown and show the Help screen.
Done. :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

Re: Tiny Blank Window

#119 Post by WhoDo »

Kal wrote:Has anyone run into the tiny blank window over the home icon on the desktop of icewm, when started with "icewm-session". When in this state it crashed on Exit to Prompt.
Investigating. :( This is an Icewm timing issue as previously discussed on the forum. Try adjusting the sleep xx parameters to avoid clashes.

WhoDo

#120 Post by WhoDo »

8-bit wrote:When you click on the help icon, and click on the release notes for Puppy 4.2, you get "The file /usr/share/doc/release-4.2.htm cannot be found".
Must have been left out.
Nope. Just didn't rename or symlink the file in /usr/share/docs. We're looking for the Puppy web desktop to replace this message before we go to 4.2RC status.
8-bit wrote:This was after I had tried booting and pressing the space bar as Puppy 4.2 started to boot. When I did that, I was taken directly to the select keyboard screen, bypassing the select mouse one. Needless to say, the mouse cursor did not respond and had to exit to the terminal to exit.
I picked DO NOT SAVE and rebooted. But it must have messed up something because even with loading my original pupsave the mouse still did not work.
Live and learn I guess.
:shock: An undocumented "feature" in Puppy? :roll: Can't happen! :P