Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 02:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Boxpup 4.1.2 released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 6 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
gray

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2009, 16:45    Post_subject: conky  

Try /etc/conky. Depending on your choice of panel you want to edit rc_right (lxpanel) or tin_rc_right (tint).
37fleetwood

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2009, 22:00    Post_subject: Re: How do I add icons or menu items to the desktop?  

Terryphi wrote:
I am very impressed with Boxpup and have added some programs running on wine. Everything works fine from the command line but I would like to create desktop icons or menu entries for them. I have tried to send the executables to the desktop but it appears to be locked. Does it come that way by default? If so, how do I unlock it?

Later: I have now edited /root/.wbar so I have that sorted. Smile I have also replaced the Internet icon with Opera icon. A copy is attached below for anyone who wants it. Copy it into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps and amend the entry for "Internet" to point to it.

However, I would still like to know how to edit the right-click menu on the desktop for additional applications I don't want to include in wbar. How do manual additions affect the "refresh menu" option?

I noticed that you were asking about putting Icons on the desktop and I thought it was mentioned earlier in the thread but it was actually in the original Boxpup thread, Open box doesn't support desktop icons or have a taskbar on it's own. I suppose for someone with limited resources a Puplet with openbox without the docks would be a little bit smaller and quicker but Boxpup is so beautiful it would need to be a separate project. you might like to read the original thread for the original boxpup so I found it and coppied the link for you Smile
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=99456670&t=32792
as far as editing anything to add icons to the start menu or wbar I can't help
Scott Cool

I'm a PC... Without Windows
plankenstein

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 02:24    Post_subject: may have found the one  

just loaded boxpup and i'm loving it so far. Very Happy really like the openbox desktop and opera. one quick question. i'm still a big time newb and this is my first post so forgive any ignorance i might show, but will the open office sfs that pudgypup uses work on boxpup? if that will go and i can get my printer to work then i might get the wife and kids to let me trash the doze and nuke the cd YEAH!
Bad_Linhat

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 16:14    Post_subject:  

Hi to all,
I find the new Boxpup superb, but I have a problem.
Anyone can suggest me a good audio cd player ?
With Xine, when I play an audio cd, I got several "jump" on the sound reproduction.
It happens at regular intervals making impossible to listen a song...
Another question: is possible install Thunar-volman ?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.
BR
plankenstein

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan 2009, 23:30    Post_subject: open office 3  

WOOHOO!!! Got OpenOffice3.sfs loaded and working. Very Happy Now just got to get my canon pixma ip2600 working and I'll really be a happy camper. Anybody know anything about using turboprint in puppy? Seems like I saw something about it in another post somewhere. But, looking at their sight I'm not sure if I would need the rpm, deb, or tar gz package. Managed to get this printer to work in ubuntu, before I discovered this wonder distro. Maybe I could just drag the ppd file out of the hdd that was on and try to stuff it into the cups if someone could tell me where to stick it. Shocked Be nice now!

Anyway, enough rambling! Puppy is one Amazing distro, and boxpup is an absolute thing of beauty. Thanks so much for all the fine work you all do! And with a little time and patience, maybe I can give back and contribute a little to this wonderful community in the future.
johnmd

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan 2009, 16:16    Post_subject: canon pixma printing  

Hi Plankenstein
not sure you need anything extra - i got my new canon pixma mp 190 to work straight off with the cups version already in Box Pup 410 (but i have BP as full install on hard drive) - make sure your printer is switched on when you click on the <do you want to add a new printer -YES> option and then cups recognises there is a usb-printer-canon on the system (shows up in the drop down list) and then i just had to choose the canon pixma mp 150 driver from the next drop down list and it worked fine - only needed to reset from default <letter> to <A4> in the <configure printer> section and it's fine - oh and set printer as default. Hope it works for you too. best wishes, John
wosifat

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2009, 11:32    Post_subject:  

Me again. Sorry.
I went throught the network wizard to get wifi working. It saw the connection and said it was working, but my web browser can't get on the internet and the internet activity in the bars in Conky are flatlines. Anyone?
If it helps, Dell Inspiron 1300. Celeron 1.5G, 512MB RAM, intergrated wifi.
Oh yeah, I added lines to Conky for battery percentage, time, and a meter of the battery, but all the meter shows is a line, not a gauge like, say, the membars.
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2009, 18:56    Post_subject: Re: canon pixma printing  

johnmd wrote:
Hi Plankenstein
not sure you need anything extra - i got my new canon pixma mp 190 to work straight off with the cups version already in Box Pup 410 (but i have BP as full install on hard drive) - make sure your printer is switched on when you click on the <do you want to add a new printer -YES> option and then cups recognises there is a usb-printer-canon on the system (shows up in the drop down list) and then i just had to choose the canon pixma mp 150 driver from the next drop down list and it worked fine - only needed to reset from default <letter> to <A4> in the <configure printer> section and it's fine - oh and set printer as default. Hope it works for you too. best wishes, John

Hi johnmd.

My friend has a canon pixma mp190 but is having problems getting it to work. This is using Puppy 4.1.2 Retro not boxpup 4.1.2. Is boxpup based on Retro or normal Puppy?

I think the cups in puppy and boxpup would be the same.

cups sees the printer and the drivers appear to be loaded it just doesn't print.

Another thing, does the scanning and copy function work?

Thanks

Grant

smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2009, 19:23    Post_subject:  

Grey,

Is BoxPup based on the 2.5.25.16 kernel rather than the older 2.6.21.7 version?

Unfortunately for some reason my computer hangs with the later kernel. I have discussed this a number of times on the forums but to date no one has been able to offer a solution.

If you have any ideas to fix my problem I would be very grateful as I really like the look of BoxPup.

When I boot from a CD it gets to the stage where you choose your mouse type and the keyboard does not work. Prior to this the keyboard works fine

Thanks

Smokey

Uden

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan 2009, 16:15    Post_subject:  

wosifat wrote:
I went throught the network wizard to get wifi working. It saw the connection and said it was working, but my web browser can't get on the internet and the internet activity in the bars in Conky are flatlines. Anyone?

Hi wosifat,
i have the same problem with my desktop. Have you found a solution?

The network wizard finds my wifi (wpa protected), connects and gets an ip address assigned. But the browser cannot connect to the internet.
With the same version of Boxpup and network wizard on my laptop, everything is working fine.

thanks,
Uden

(a newbie who tries to replace Windows on all home computers with this Linux distribution)
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2009, 13:30    Post_subject:  

I have the some problem.
Sometimes I need to repeat the process 2-3 times to "surf"...

Uden

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb 2009, 05:10    Post_subject:  

Uden wrote:
The network wizard finds my wifi (wpa protected), connects and gets an ip address assigned. But the browser cannot connect to the internet.
With the same version of Boxpup and network wizard on my laptop, everything is working fine.

Solved, by setting the security check box from 'open' to 'restricted'. Somehow this setting is not needed on the laptop.
Uden

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb 2009, 05:14    Post_subject:  

I have a new question:
i have used Puppy package manager to install some additionale programs, like Bluefish and Firefox.

But Firefox does not start. And Bluefish complaints abot "Unable to open files: /root/%F". I also noticed that an installation sometimes does not show up in the menu (even after a reboot).

Do i need to make some manual adaptions of a configuration file to be able to use these?
37fleetwood

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb 2009, 17:54    Post_subject:  

hi, I wanted to ask a couple questions, please bear with me.
first, I have been playing with Puppy for a few years now and on my computer I'm not noticing that Open Box or Jwm is any faster than something like Xfce. is it only on a slower machine that I'll notice a speed difference?
this brings me to my next question, I am really enjoying Compiz Fusion and love the look of Boxpup. Compiz won't work with Open Box so is Tint available as a pet so I can install it in LXDE or Xfce?
thanks
Scott Cool

I'm a PC... Without Windows

Edited_time_total
wosifat

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb 2009, 06:58    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Compiz won't work with Open Box

Oh, well. Was wanting to get rid of a few of Boxpup's standard programs that I don't use as much (Opera, Leafpad) and was maybe thinking of trying Compilz, but never mind now. Is it worth it to try Pet-B-Gone?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum