Speed up Puppy on a Dongle.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
plumtreed

Speed up Puppy on a Dongle.

#1 Post by plumtreed »

I'm running Puppy 4.1.2 and everything is working on my laptop. At the moment, I am in the UK and occasionally I have to use the '3' network and a mobile broadband usb dongle.

It can be excellent and reasonably fast. Never as good as wifi or wired but when your on the move it is very handy. The speed seems to fluctuate and varies throughout the day. The way mobile phones can vary!

However, I feel that when I use Puppy it slows to a crawl even when it should perform. If I switch to Ubuntu it seems to perform better. In other words, I think it is slower in Puppy than in Ubuntu!

Does anybody know how to check the settings in Puppy and, possibly, how to change them?

steve_s

#2 Post by steve_s »

Hey, plumtreed, post specifics about the usb dongle, what type it is, etc.

Then you can check and see what driver is being used and make certain that is the one that SHOULD be used.

For example, when I was using Puppy 4.0 and a Belkin usb dongle, it would use the driver rt2753 or something and it should have been using rt73. Everything would slow to a crawl; for some reason puppy was picking that as a default.

That problem was fixed with 4.1.1 and in 4.1.2 so no further adjustments were needed on my part.

My point is, once specifics are given there are many on the forum that can tell you more accurately what is going and perhaps how to fix it. 8)

plumtreed

#3 Post by plumtreed »

Thanks Steve, I have a dongle and service purchased from the '3' network in the UK. It is a Huawei E160g USB modem. It is usually recognized by PCs as a Huawei E220.

I don't think it is ever going to 'perform miracles' but I sense, more than know, that it works slower in Puppy than it does in Ubuntu.

I was thinking that there might be a way of gaining access to the settings in Puppy to change things or at least be able to be sure it is set up correctly???