Samba Install

Booting, installing, newbie
als123

Samba Install

#1 Post by als123 »

Hello All,

I'm really new to Puppy, but an IT friend of mine told me I need Samba in order to print through my MSHome network. I've downloaded the tar.gz file and have extracted it to a file folder I created. I do not know how to proceed from here.

I've noticed many instructions refer to command line entries, I would appreciate explicit instructions regarding how to do this as I am completely at a loss.

Thanks for your help,
Al

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

You should be able to just run the CUPS printer setup wizard and choose to install a shared windows printer. But maybe puppy still has the problem where you need to create a link to smbspool or something like that.
See if you have the file /opt/samba/bin/smbspool, and if there is a link to it at /usr/lib/cups/backend/smbspool. If there is no link, make one and see if it then works.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29208

FYI:
1. Puppy already includes the samba client components, to access files on a windows share.
2. Puppy already includes smbspool, which is needed to print to a printer on a Windows server.
3. So, you only need to "install Samba" (from petget) if you want to share Puppy files or a Puppy printer with Windows clients.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

You don't even need Samba to make a Puppy printer available to a Windows client. Read here.

als123

Thanks

#4 Post by als123 »

I really appreciate all this advice, I'll be working on it today, but just wanted to say thanks.