Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel

For drivers and kernel modules.
rhadon

#81 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
I have a problem with the microphone in EeePc 900 running Puppy 4.1.1 or Ripple.
If I use Skype and try to send a test call, I hear the automatic voice, but my own message they send back to me, I can't hear.
Microphone is on and loud, I can hear it if I blow to it or scratch.
What I don't have is mic boost in alsa mixer. So I tried to install eee-snd-hda-intel-patched-k2.6.25.16.pet from tempestuous but it fails: I can choose to install or abort, then comes the message 'packet manager processing... please wait' . A few seconds later this message disappears and that was all. I downloaded this pet two times and tried it several times so I don't think I made a mistake..

I have no more idea what's wrong or even where i should search for a solution.

Has anybody a idea, solution or at least a hint?
Thanks
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

tempestuous

#82 Post by tempestuous »

rhadon wrote:... but it fails: I can choose to install or abort, then comes the message 'packet manager processing... please wait' . A few seconds later this message disappears and that was all.
Dotpets will fail to install if they are located in a directory (or directory path) which contains a space in its name.
There is a fix discussed here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 919#256919

But a quick fix is obviously to locate the dotpet in a suitably named directory, or even the root path of a drive.

rhadon

#83 Post by rhadon »

Hi tempestuous,
thank you for trying to help.

There was no space in the pathnames. I used /mnt/home/Downloads/.
To be shure, I copied the pet to root but the same problem.
So I opened a terminal and tried to start it there. First I got the message 'permission denied. I changed permissions and now I get the message 'cannot execute binary file'.

Rolf

Edit: I know that your Dotpets work fine. I use the madwifi.pet from you and it works very fine. I also installed a lot of other pets without any problem. So I'm perplex now and have no idea.

tempestuous

#84 Post by tempestuous »

I just booted to the Puppy 4.1 CD, downloaded eee-snd-hda-intel-patched-k2.6.25.16.pet, and the installation worked fine.
Attachments
snd-eee-patched-dotpet-install.jpg
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 10154 times

rhadon

#85 Post by rhadon »

@ tempestuous
OK, your pet works fine with Puppy 4.1.1. also on my Eee. The last attempts I did only with Ripple, a derivative of 4.1.1. With original Puppy it works fine and with mic boost the microphone is more sensitiv.
Therefore I'm really sorry for wasting your time in this part.

I still have the actually problem , no matter the pet is installed or not ( for now I use only Puppy):

If I use Skype and try to send a test call, I hear the automatic voice, but my own message they send back to me, I can't hear. Only the automatic voice like "...if you hear this voice, Skype is configured well, if you don't hear your own message, please check your settings for the microphone."

For 'sound in' I have 3 choices:
1. Default device (default)
2. HDA Intel (hw: Intel,0)
3. HDA Intel (plughw: Intel,0)

With #1 and #2 I have the problem above, with #3 I get only the message 'problem with audio capture' and no call.

In Alsa mixer every control is to max without mute.

Do you have any idea what is wrong or what I can check more?

Rolf

Edit: I just tried the same with a headset: if everything is on max it works basically. In the moment I speak, I hear my voice clear and very loud but the voice I get back is low and close.

rhadon

#86 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
it works :D .

After installing acpid-Eee-7x-900.pet and eee-asus_acpi-pciehp-k2.6.25.16.pet also the internal microphone works with Skype.
So thank you again tempestuous and have a nice xmas time.
Rolf

PaulBx1

#87 Post by PaulBx1 »

Venger, I have not played with... defaulting to lower CPU speed after a given time (the latter sounds especially intriguing)
I have this in my /etc/rc.local which accomplishes what you want:

Code: Select all

# Use "ondemand" cpu frequency scaling to reduce power consumption as described in:
# http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28443
modprobe acpi-cpufreq
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
I use Puppy 4.1.2.

divisionmd

#88 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

Just a comment to tempestuous about the logitech quickcam module.

Trying to get my quickcam working in Puppy 2.6.25.16.

Downloaded and ran that .pet file but when i type "modprobe quickcam" i get this error:

# modprobe quickcam
FATAL: Error inserting quickcam (/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/misc/quickcam.ko): Invalid module format

Any clue on that?

Thanks for help,

Best regards,
Johan

tempestuous

#89 Post by tempestuous »

Well the quickcam module loads successfully for forum member kuapao.
Maybe your webcam device is not compatible? Please plug in your webcam and run this command -

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and report the "Vendor" and "ProdID" values for your webcam.

Dougal

#90 Post by Dougal »

divisionmd wrote:# modprobe quickcam
FATAL: Error inserting quickcam (/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/misc/quickcam.ko): Invalid module format
That looks to me like you're trying to load a module that doesn't match the kernel you're using.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

smokey01

#91 Post by smokey01 »

Help!

I have been searching the forums for days trying to find a solution to my problem which is:

WLAN card not detected on a Eee pc 701SD.

I have tried both, Puppy 4.1.2 Normal and Retro.

I have tried both MADwifi modified drivers

I have tried module preference loading in boot manager.

Nothing seems to work.

I have another Eee pc which is the 4G model and the madwifi patch works fine in Puppy 4.1.2 Retro.

On the 701SD there seems to be quite a few different components. The processor and SSD are both different and obviously the wlan card too. BTW how do you find out the type of LAN card installed.

I am tempted to try Pupeee or Eeetiger but they are based on Puppy 3.01 and I didn't really want to return to the past. I really like Dingo.

Thanks

Smokey

tempestuous

#92 Post by tempestuous »

Well a quick Google search reveals that the 701SD has a Realtek RTL8187SE wifi chipset (same as the MSI Wind).
So the "rtl8187se-coffelius0.4-k2.6.25.16.pet" I provided earlier in this thread should do the job -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 747#237747

If not, please run this command

lspci -n
and report the output.

smokey01

#93 Post by smokey01 »

tempestuous,

Thanks for the quick reply but unfortunately no luck. I had actually tried this driver previously but forgot to mention it. I tried it again just to be sure.

Attached is the output from the lspci -n command.

Thanks

Grant
Attachments
wlan.tar.gz
Output data
(319 Bytes) Downloaded 1009 times

tempestuous

#94 Post by tempestuous »

EDIT:
smokey's wifi vendor/device 10ec:8199 is definitely compatible with the r8180 driver in the rtl8187se-coffelius dotpet.
Last edited by tempestuous on Sun 18 Jan 2009, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

ecomoney

Intel 915/815

#95 Post by ecomoney »

There is a bug in 4.12 (in fact all "dingo" based puppies I believe) for intel graphics chipsets 8xx and 9xx. It is caused by a missing video driver, i810_drv.so which is missing from the /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers folder. It manifests by not displaying puppy in the correct screen resolution as specified by the user. This could be a problem as many laptops (and desktops) use onboard intel graphics and the screen resolution needs to be set correctly for LCD screens.

Instructions for how to fix the problem are here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37393

It consists of copying the i810_drv.so file from puppy 3 series to the correct location, and restarting the xorgserver. Thanks to ICPUG for finding the fix.

It would be great if someone with more skill than I would make a .pet to fix the problem, and post it here.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

smokey01

#96 Post by smokey01 »

tempestuous,

Wifi is now working thanks to your advice.

It appears I may have mixed up the versions of Puppy 4.1.2.

I tried to patch the Retro version of Puppy with the normal patch.

The Eee PC 701SD would not recognise the wlan card with Puppy 4.1.2 Retro, whether it was patched or not with the correct driver.

I had to install Puppy normal which unfortunately does not run on my desktop PC. For some reason it does not recognise my keyboard. Luckily Puppy Universal Installer doesn't know the difference between the two versions of Puppy so I was able to install to a USB flash drive from a CD then to the Eee PC.

Thanks again.

Smokey

tempestuous

#97 Post by tempestuous »

smokey01 wrote:The Eee PC 701SD would not recognise the wlan card with Puppy 4.1.2 Retro, whether it was patched or not with the correct driver.
That's somewhat misleading. Firstly, the drivers in this thread are in binary form, ready to install in Puppy. They are not patches.
All drivers in this thread are compatible only with the 2.6.25.16 kernel in Puppy 2.1.x, not with the 2.6.21.7 kernel in the "retro" versions. That was explained in the first post.
A driver for the RTL8187SE device has never been contributed on this forum for the 2.6.21.7 kernel.

tempestuous

#98 Post by tempestuous »

Jan 18 2009
Since we now know that there is one version of ASUS Eee with a Realtek wifi device, I have updated the Eee acpid dotpets in earlier post to include a version compatible with the r8180 wifi driver -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 744#237744

hlawson

ar5007eg Toshiba u305-s7448 Puppy 4.12

#99 Post by hlawson »

[quote="tempestuous"]For the ASUS Eee 700-series (but not 701SD) and 900 / 904HD / 1000HD / 1000HA:
Ethernet is supported out-of-the-box by the new atl2 module, and the webcam is supported by the new gspca module.

But the wifi chipset (Atheros AR5007EG) requires a non-standard variant of the MADWiFi (ath_pci) driver.

hlawson:

madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-k2.6.25.16.pet

This pet also installs and works as expected in Puppy 4.12 on a Toshiba Satellite u305-37448. Thanks for this package.

That solves the Puppy wireless problem on my Toshiba.

tempestuous

#100 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the "gspca_t613" webcam driver, which supports the TASCORP JPEG Webcam, NGS Cyclops, USB ID 17a1:0128.
This driver is from development source code from
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~eandren/gspca-m5602/

And also attached is the (standard) gspca webcam driver, patched to add support for the Logitech QuickCam E2500, using a patch from
http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showthre ... 49#pid1949
Attachments
gspca-E2500-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(113.72 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 24 Feb 2009, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.