Wonder if this'll run Puppy?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mechmike

Wonder if this'll run Puppy?

#1 Post by mechmike »

It's cheap enough at $149 + shipping...

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... 00&cat=NBB
The Alpha 400 netbook provides multimedia entertainment, Broadband Internet Access and Work on the Go! The Alpha 400 features the reliable Linux Operating System, BroadMIPS XBurst 400 MHz 32-bit CPU, 128 MB RAM, 1 GB NAND Flash storage, a 10/100 MB Ethernet interface and 802.11b wireless access.
Interesting... Anybody played with or seen one?

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

The Alpha 400 is the same as the ElonexOne/Trentac and all the other badges. We did this before. If you read the header on your ad you'll see that it's a MIPS - RISC machine not compatible with x86 architecture (but infinitely superior). At that price it's a snip. Don't expect miracles, though; at 400MHz you don't need to be in too much of a hurry. I use mine for ping testing my networks, for after-hours checking email, instant web access when my desktops have all been shut down and troubleshooting at remote sites, eg setting up NICS, static IPs at client's sites, etc. At 650g it fits in all my anorak pockets and can be held in one hand whilst checking stuff just like a meter. This one is absolutely rock solid stable. It is also excellent for myopes like me - remove spectacles, hold at 10" and the bright clear screen gives a super enlarged image (read your school physics or physiology book if you don't understand this.)
Before mine was delivered I had envisaged stripping it down for examination and modification, but it has proved so useful as-is that I've left it in tact.
There are regular updates and a small complement of third party add-ons:
http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/index.htm
It comes with an alternative kiddies desktop theme that should help teach rising three year olds.
Buy one, indeed buy two.
Clever coders could compile from the Debian MIPS repository. Smart manufacturers will eventually get the measure of Intel Corp and switch to MIPS-RISC. Mobile phones and other embedded technologies already make extensive use of this wonderful technology. [British, of course, like all good things!]. Newer faster RISC machines are on the drawingboard.

Oh! Nearly forgot: unlike all the other netbooks, due to RISC, it doesn't get hot so won't compromise your crown jewels.

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

I'm working on a port to mipsel arch that should make a good base on which to build an ARM/mipsel Puppy. My work concentrates on a mostly regular installation and not a LiveCD. But clever enthusiasts should be able to puppy-fy my work into a live CD.
The machine I'm working with (gdium) uses the loongsonF processor which is used on several other machines as well.
The Xburst architecture is not the same as the loongson which is 64 bit.
So far, the Xburst-based machines don't seem to get good reviews so I'm not sure they will gain general acceptance.

Jay

#4 Post by Jay »

Hi,

I started the forum at linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk for users of the Elonex One and similar laptops.

If anyone is working on getting puppy available for the One T/ T+ or CnM Minibook versions of the laptop, please drop us a line.

Keep up the good work.

J