Unable to set wireless or usb broadband.(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
plumtreed

Unable to set wireless or usb broadband.(Solved)

#1 Post by plumtreed »

It looks like it should be easy but I can't connect to the internet. I am new to Puppy so I am still 'feeling' my way. I like the compactness of the concept and see many appealing and desireable aspects. It looks good!

I'm Running 4.1.1 from a DVD on a Laptop, Acer Aspire 5315, Celeron 560 and 1GB Ram. I normally use Ubuntu 8.04 and all runs OK.

It looks like I need to get Eth1 up but I don't seem to be able to do it. I have a Broadcom interface...bcm4312 but it is ignored when i try to configure the connection.

I don't know my way around the 'terminal' so detailed help would be appreciated.
Last edited by plumtreed on Sat 03 Jan 2009, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Welcome to the club of bcm43xx affected people.
The last weeks there are cries for help.
There have been replies, but I didn't follow closely.

I only can say search for bcm43 withe yhe puppysearch link in my sig and plow through the multitude of posts.

Also read the last pages of this thread.
You'll see that Dougal is the expert.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

plumtreed

#3 Post by plumtreed »

Thanks for the guidance, Beem. Trying to access drivers and things is almost impossible when you don't have the internet. I'm operating from a DVD and have to shut down and reboot everytime just to get to the internet for more info.

I am going to try to GnomePPP onto the Puppy disc to see if I can get my usb 'dongle' to connect via mobile broadband.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

Careful Béèm, plumtreed is talking about the Broadcom ethernet interface, not wifi. It should be supported by Puppy's "tg3" module.
plumtreed wrote:I don't know my way around the 'terminal' so detailed help would be appreciated.
Don't assume that the terminal is necessary. Puppy's Network Wizard should suffice.

Your wifi device, incidentally, is the infamous Atheros AR5007EG chipset which requires the special driver from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 740#237740
This has been discussed several times on the forum before.
plumtreed wrote:I'm operating from a DVD and have to shut down and reboot everytime just to get to the internet for more info.
Save the wifi driver to your Windows NTFS partition or USB drive, then reboot into Puppy and mount this drive to access the new driver.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

plumtreed wrote:I am going to try to GnomePPP onto the Puppy disc to see if I can get my usb 'dongle' to connect via mobile broadband.
Wireless modems require special dial-up configurations, which Puppy accommodates via the "Internet by wireless GPRS modem ..." option in the Connection wizard.

There is an overview of the different classes of wireless modems (and their requisite drivers) here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 448#254448

plumtreed

#6 Post by plumtreed »

Thanks Temp, you have given a lot of leads for me to follow. I'll get back as soon as I have had a chance to work through those ideas. Back soon.

plumtreed

#7 Post by plumtreed »

tempestuous wrote:Careful Béèm, plumtreed is talking about the Broadcom ethernet interface, not wifi. It should be supported by Puppy's "tg3" module.
plumtreed wrote:I don't know my way around the 'terminal' so detailed help would be appreciated.
Don't assume that the terminal is necessary. Puppy's Network Wizard should suffice.

Your wifi device, incidentally, is the infamous Atheros AR5007EG chipset which requires the special driver from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 740#237740
This has been discussed several times on the forum before.
plumtreed wrote:I'm operating from a DVD and have to shut down and reboot everytime just to get to the internet for more info.
Save the wifi driver to your Windows NTFS partition or USB drive, then reboot into Puppy and mount this drive to access the new driver.
I have got to the point where I have the 'driver', as a tar.giz, on a usb drive but I don't know, nor can I figure out, the 'next step'?

Please, can I get some advice on how to get the driver to a place where I can use it??

plumtreed

#8 Post by plumtreed »

Doubled up!!!! :?

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

plumtreed wrote:I have got to the point where I have the 'driver', as a tar.giz
What driver? From where? Surely you didn't download the source code?
The special MADWiFi driver for Atheros AR5007EG devices is a dotpet attached to the post I referenced:
madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-k2.6.25.16.pet

plumtreed

#10 Post by plumtreed »

No, I have the 'pet' file but I still don't know what to do with it!

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

Dotpets will fail to install if they are located in a directory (or directory path) which contains a space in its name.
There is a fix being discussed here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 919#256919

But a quick fix is obviously to locate the dotpet in a suitably named directory, or even the root path of a drive.

plumtreed

#12 Post by plumtreed »

I have got mobile broadband up & running, courtesy of the wisdom gathered from this forum, so I can now download applications and pets.

I have also got 4.1.2 on a USB 2GB dongle and, most importantly, I'm really starting to enjoy Puppy.

I am still unable to set up wireless on puppy. I have bcm4312, which appears to have the Atheros AR5007EG chip set. At Tempetuous' suggestion I've downloaded 'madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-k2.6.25.16.pet' but have not been able to make anything respond favourably.

What should I do to activate 'madwifi etc' to cause my wireless to repond? :?

aarf

#13 Post by aarf »

Click on the madWifi pet and it should auto install a new interface which will them be visible in the connect wizard. To be sure turn off wlan in the bios before installing into a pup_save endowed puppy.

plumtreed

#14 Post by plumtreed »

Great stuff Aarf, your first sentence is clear and the sort of thing a dumb bloke like me understands. I haven't looked yet because I think I need some clarification on sentance #2?

I don't understand what it means :oops:

tempestuous

#15 Post by tempestuous »

plumtreed wrote:I have bcm4312, which appears to have the Atheros AR5007EG chip set.
No. The BCM4312 is Broadcom, the AR5007EG is Atheros. I see now that the Acer Aspire 5315 can be supplied with either wifi device - possibly a difference between European and U.S. specification.

OK, I think those recent Broadcom wifi chips require the proprietary Broadcom driver. Get it here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 942#251942

plumtreed

#16 Post by plumtreed »

Thanks Tempetuous, I had stumbled across that pet and I gave it a try to no success. When I install I get confirmation that it has happened but nothing new appears in the connection wizard. So, I have nothing new to test.

I have tried to load anything with a Broadcom sounding name but should point out that three on the list return a 'not found' answer; b43 legacy, b43, & wi.

My Acer Aspire was acquired in Australia, I am in the UK for 6 months.

Is there a list of 'drivers' I could consider?

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

The proprietary driver is called "wl" (not "wi").

Is your wifi device disabled in bios, perhaps?
Apparently you need to press the F2 key during boot up to get into bios.

hdmyg85

Water pipes

#18 Post by hdmyg85 »

I am thinking about buying some full retail plus shipping water pipes from this company in China http://www.liangdianup.com/tobacciana_z.htm
but I am not sure if they are legal to bring in to the states? What are the laws on water pipes, bongs, and pipes?

plumtreed

#19 Post by plumtreed »

I went into the BIOS but don't see a reference that allows me to activate or deactivate the wireless interface. I use Ubuntu and it finds what it needs. So does Knoppix and Vista. I guess that means my Wireless is actvated and generally available.

I have installed & 'activated' both the Atheros AR5007EG & the bcm4312 'pets' and they show on the Wizard. My understanding is that my wireless interface is bcm4312 because that is what my PC thinks it is.

However, when I try to load it, wl on the list , It replies.... [module wl not foundi]

You mentioned that there may be difficulty if the path has spaces in it but my download was to My_Documents and there doesn't appear to any spaces in the path to that point.

Close but not there yet??? :cry: :cry:

aarf

#20 Post by aarf »

plumtreed wrote:I went into the BIOS but don't see a reference that allows me to activate or deactivate the wireless interface. I use Ubuntu and it finds what it needs. So does Knoppix and Vista. I guess that means my Wireless is actvated and generally available.

I have installed & 'activated' both the Atheros AR5007EG & the bcm4312 'pets' and they show on the Wizard. My understanding is that my wireless interface is bcm4312 because that is what my PC thinks it is.

However, when I try to load it, wl on the list , It replies.... [module wl not foundi]

You mentioned that there may be difficulty if the path has spaces in it but my download was to My_Documents and there doesn't appear to any spaces in the path to that point.

Close but not there yet??? :cry: :cry:
the installation of the required driver is more likely to be successful when the wifi is switched off. then the wifi has to be switched on again at the next boot. so it has to gointo a saved configuration i.e. a pup_save which is/ or was previously created at shutdown.
bios are different and so it is a matter of searching for something that conceivably be wifi to disable. wlan is the word used on my bios.