Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 13:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Simple ogg tag editor using vorbiscomment and Xdialog
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
ravensrest

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec 2008, 19:03    Post subject:  Simple ogg tag editor using vorbiscomment and Xdialog  

I screwed up the date variable in the first version, so I corrected that in version 1.1 now attached hereto.

Jason Pline has supplied Puppy with Pmetatagger, but I wanted a compact tag editor just for ogg-encoded files. Here is a simple Xdialog-based gui I developed for vorbiscomment that will let you view/create/edit tags, but only for *.ogg files.

It is not wrapped into a pet or set up as a menu entry because it is just a single script file that gets used sporadically. Double click poggtag.tar.gz to unpack and then place poggtag in any directory in your path. I use /usr/sbin/. Run it by typing 'poggtag' in a terminal (chmod +x /usr/sbin/poggtag if necessary first). Or drag it to your desktop and simply click on it -- that's what I do.

I have also attached pogg48.xpm, a pixmap that you can place in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/ and assign to poggtag to use as your desktop icon if you wish.

When you go to open your second *.ogg file, you will be asked if you wish to use the tags from the first file exclusive of Title and Track. Select yes if you are planning to tag a number of previously untagged files by the same artist. Select no to view or edit individual previously tagged files. You can also alter this setting from the main menu after you have viewed at least one file.

This script does not automatically increment the track number because, depending on how you manage your files, the sequential index of the file being edited may or may not equal the album track number. If you want it to automatically increment the sequential track number, change line 123 to TRACKNUMBER=$NUM and it will.

You can also view the proposed/current tags by opening /tmp/pogg_proposed_tags before clicking the Next button to commit to writing them, or view the tags to be written by opening /tmp/pogg_taggs_to_write before editing another file.

The script is pretty straight forward and mostly self-documenting. Use it and abuse it at your own risk.
poggtag.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  poggtag.tar.gz 
Filesize  5.28 KB 
Downloaded  168 Time(s) 

Last edited by ravensrest on Wed 07 Jan 2009, 21:25; edited 1 time in total
trapster

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec 2008, 10:44    Post subject:  

This is interesting. I just found vorbiscomment a few days ago as I was looking for how to stream my artist / title names with shoutcast. All I was ever getting was "stream.ogg".

I presume your script requires manual entry of the info or are you ripping them with the data?

Most of my .ogg files do not have the metadata due to collecting them from....ahem....various places.
They are saved as artist - title.ogg.
I figured out how to add both entries to the metadata using the filename and now I get the artist and title in my streams.
I use this script inside the directory of the .ogg files:

Code:
for i in *.ogg ; do
echo $i > info
artist=`sed -e 's/ -/-/g' info | cut -d '-' -f1`
title=`cut -d '-' -f 2 info | sed -e 's/ //' | sed -e 's/.ogg//'`
echo Artist is "$artist", Title is "$title"
vorbiscomment -a "$i" -t ARTIST="$artist" -t TITLE="$title"
done
rm info

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Puppeee4.31 + 1.0, Puppy4.10 + Lupu52
Currently using Slacko AND lupu52 w/ fluxbox
ravensrest

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec 2008, 12:14    Post subject:  

Nice, Trapster! Yes, the program requires manual entry of the metadata.

Many of my files were acquired from the same places as yours, and are named similarly to yours 'Title-Artist.ogg'. I just never thought to strip the info out of the filenames, at least partly because I also wanted to be able to add album names, tracks, and dates.

As a long time Windows user, I also have a profound preference for guis rather than command line operations.

Quote:
I presume your script requires manual entry of the info or are you ripping them with the data?

Most of my .ogg files do not have the metadata due to collecting them from....ahem....various places.
They are saved as artist - title.ogg.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: