Extras for Puppy 3.x and 4.0

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
HaMMeR

#41 Post by HaMMeR »

DaveS,
Thanks for the help. It worked great! I now have conky running.
If I could just get this issue with the WiFi security going I could go to bed and get the rest this old body needs. :)

tempestuous

#42 Post by tempestuous »

HaMMeR, sorry, a simply typo on my part. It should be "modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip". The ieee80211_crypt_tkip module is necessary for WPA1 encryption (ieee80211_crypt_ccmp is for WPA2 encryption).
Even if WPA encryption still fails for you, I suggest you change your wifi router's encryption setting to WEP just as an experiment. It would be good to know if the rt2860sta driver can at least handle the most basic form of encryption.

HaMMeR

#43 Post by HaMMeR »

tempestuous,
I should have seen the pattern and figured out what was meant in your code. Sorry, I am a newb at this.

Tried it after running the 1st group of commands (WPA Personal) with no success. Then ran the 2nd group of commands and still no success. Then changed my router to WEP 10 hex and still no success. Then disabled security totally on my router and had success. I might be inclined to suspect my router since I run a non-standard firmware on it. I use Tomato rather than the LinkSys factory firmware. Thing that makes me think it must be in the Puppy driver is that I experienced these same results at other locations (friends of whom have factory default firmware with basic security and also at free WiFi locations) as well as the fact that EeeUbuntu, Xandros, and Windows all work fine here. So I keep thinking there must be some tweak on the driver or Puppy system to fix.

vtpup

#44 Post by vtpup »

tempestuous,

thanks for all your work on wireless cards.

I recently had to drop back from a 4.1.1 frugal installation to a 4.1.1 retro frugal. I found that my cd/dvd drives weren't working well with the later kernel, and also Wine was less stable.

Unfortunately my wireless card stopped working once I switched to retro

It's an Edimax EW-7108PCG cardbus card which uses the Ralink RT2561 chips.

It used to work fine with the RT2561/RT61 module under the later kernel.

Under the retro kernel, only the RT61 module is available, and this one won't work with my card.

Is there a way I can run the RT2561/RT61 module under retro (now at 4.1.2) to enable this card?

Thanks, again for your help.

tempestuous

#45 Post by tempestuous »

vtpup wrote:It used to work fine with the RT2561/RT61 module under the later kernel.
Actually that would be the "rt61pci" module.
vtpup wrote:Is there a way I can run the RT2561/RT61 module under retro
No.

The older "rt61" module has been reported as working fine in the past.
Check to see if encryption is the issue - disable encryption at your wifi router and see if you can make a connection in this unencrypted state.

ttuuxxx

#46 Post by ttuuxxx »

HI tempestuous
Just wondering something, I'm trying to build a updated version of puppy 3.0.1 and I'm just wondering off hand do you know the best or most needed networking and video updates I could do for it, everything works fine for me, but others who download it might not be so lucky. Well thanks for your time
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

HaMMeR

#47 Post by HaMMeR »

Hello tempestuous ,

Did some further testing today on the WiFi and have somewhat convinced myself that the problem with WEP and WPA security on my Eee PC 1000 is not the network drivers (rt2860) but something in the Puppy v4.1.2 release itself, or at least in the WiFi portion unrelated to a specific driver. Here's why.

Tested today 2 Different Dell laptops and had the same exact symptoms as I was having with the Eee PC 1000. They used the B43 wireless module. Thought possibly that My NOP puppy could have an issue, so I downloaded the official Puppy v 4.1.2 Seamonkey Barry release, then burned the ISO and booted up via CD on each of the Dell PC's. Again the exact same symtoms. No secure connectivity, only unsecure connections. Have not had a chance to travel to friends to perform these tests on the other routers but I am somewhat confident the results will be the same. Any thoughts or ideas?

On a different and more positive note I found your pet packages here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159 for the Eee PC funtion keys.
For all ASUS Eee models:
Hotkeys on the Eee should be supported by the attached version of the "asus_acpi" module with associated "pciehp" (PCI Express Hot Plug Controller)module.
I hacked the standard asus_acpi source code by comparing it with the version from the Asus website.
The pciehp module is a standard kernel module, but it is not enabled in Puppy's standard kernel configuration.

And the attached "acpid" daemon package is also necessary.

Hotkeys supported:

Fn+F2: Toggle Wireless on/off
Fn+F5 external monitor on/off (NOT TESTED)
Fn+F7: Toggle Mute/Unmute (NOT WORKING)
Fn+F8: Decrease Volume Level
Fn+F9: Increase Volume Level
They worked beautifully on my Eee PC 1000, even the mute key! My Fn keys are different than above but all worked with the exception of the external monitor which seemed to have no effect. (no Biggy).

Thanks for all your hard work.[/quote]

tempestuous

#48 Post by tempestuous »

First, what we're currently discussing should have been a separate thread.
This current thread was meant to be relevant only to drivers for the 2.6.21.7 kernel in Puppy 3.x and 4.0, not Puppy 4.1.x.

I'm hearing a few different reports of encryption problems in Puppy 4.1.2.
Puppy 4.1 was known to be OK, so it would be useful if those same people could try an encrypted connection in Puppy 4.1
... and it would be especially useful if the hardware in question was known to be reliable under Linux - Dell laptops with Broadcom wifi chips do not qualify!

vtpup

#49 Post by vtpup »

I've opened a new topic for 4.1.x retro (2.6.21.7 kernel) WPA encryption problem here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 819#260819

HaMMeR

#50 Post by HaMMeR »

Not sure why the topic got sent where it did. Looks like if people were concerned about the proper placement, then this would have been more appropriate. > Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless.

Whatever. I ended up using ndiswrapper on the windows driver. At least it works with WEP now.

Sorry tempestuous.

tempestuous

#51 Post by tempestuous »

ttuuxxx wrote:I'm just wondering off hand do you know the best or most needed networking and video updates I could do for it
Well the most important driver updates in this thread are:

hostap-patched-k2.6.21.7.pet
rtl8180-0.22-Belkin-k2.6.21.7.pet
e1000-7.6.5-k2.6.21.7.pet
atl2-2.0.3-k2.6.21.7.pet
atl1-v1.2.40.2-k2.6.21.7.pet
sis190-update-k2.6.21.7.pet
atl1e-v1.0.0.4-k2.6.21.7.pet
RT2860-v1.6.1.0-k2.6.21.7.pet
r8101-1.009.00-k2.6.21.7.pet

Adding these drivers will mean that two files in /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/ will need updating:
modules.dep
modules.pcimap

And you should also update /etc/networkmodules to include these new drivers, too. Otherwise they won't appear in the Network Wizard.

Generally, though, Puppy 3.02's older 2.6.21.7 kernel is incompatible with quite a number of modern network devices.

ttuuxxx

#52 Post by ttuuxxx »

tempestuous wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Generally, though, Puppy 3.02's older 2.6.21.7 kernel is incompatible with quite a number of modern network devices.
Yes thats the issue I'm debating on, I'm repackaging slackware 12.2 main binary files and building a release, but the 3.0 series was based on 12, and 12.2 has a lot of updates, gcc, glib, etc the perl is even different, makes it difficult to consider which unleashed base to use, 3 series or 4 series, 12.2 still uses the same qt as 12, so thats a good thing, which would you consider using? I like the idea of using series 3 due to the fact older packages would work and I would have to alter less to get it binary compatible. But the biggest issue is the kernel and base plus modern driver usage. So if you were going to build a Slackware binary compatible release. Which series would you base it on? Which kernel.
I'm starting really to think about series 4.0 now, Thanks for your help :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

vtpup

#53 Post by vtpup »

For a solution to my own recent realtek wireless problem in 4.1.2 retro (same kernel as being discussed here) see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 021#261021

Please note that I DO use WPA encryption. Your included drivers, for my chips at least (RT2561) work fine without any patching.

I don't know why the driver modules were screwed up in the install itself. I'm wondering about the installation process as a contributor to user problem reports.

tempestuous

#54 Post by tempestuous »

I just found the hard drive which has my old Puppy 3.1 installation with 2.6.21.7 kernel.
So I was able to compile the driver for the Realtek RTL8187SE wifi device, as required by the Eee 701SD and MSI Wind U100.
It's attached to the earlier post in this thread with the madwifi driver -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 643#153643

tempestuous

#55 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the gspca webcam driver, patched to add support for the Logitech QuickCam E2500, using a patch from here
http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showthre ... 49#pid1949
Attachments
gspca-E2500-k2.6.21.7.pet
for Puppy 3.x and 4.0
(113.73 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

tempestuous

#56 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the "r6040" driver for the RDC Semiconductor R6040 fast ethernet controller, as found on Vortex86 System on Chip processors. Currently these are mainly used in the eBox and MicroClient mini computers.

After installing this dotpet, reboot. The r6040 driver should automatically load, but if not, you can load it from the Network Wizard.
Attachments
r6040-k2.6.21.7.pet
for Puppy 3.x and 4.0
(7.59 KiB) Downloaded 787 times

strafford

Work in 4.2?

#57 Post by strafford »

Does anyone know if this lan driver (r6040) will work in 4.2?

tempestuous

#58 Post by tempestuous »

Of course not. But Puppy 4.1/4.2's more recent kernel already contains the r6040 driver, anyway.

The situation is somewhat more complex in regards to Puppy 4.1-retro/4.2-retro, but since your query specifically mentioned "4.2" not "4.2-retro" then I won't confuse the issue further.