NOP 4.1 Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

deja vu

#101 Post by gray »

Olive08,

I already answered the drop down menu Question. see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 86&t=36874

As for the Opera problem - no idea. I have not seen this myself. Try the update, it may work :?

To update an existing installation, use a puppy CD and boot with the pfix=ram option. Then copy the initrd.gz and pup_412.sfs files from the new CD to your existing install (& remove the pup_410.sfs) . Then reboot your installed puppy as before (remove the CD first).

DaveS

#102 Post by DaveS »

Hi Gray. I apologise for asking this question, but could you please tell me where I might download the default cursor theme used in NOP? I find my tired old eyes can see it more clearly than the standard one used in Puppy 4.1, and as I use both distros, I would like to try to install it. Thanks..... DaveS

EDIT: OK, I found it. For others it is called Aero-Drop, and is in a directory /root/.icons/aero-drop
.icons is a hidden directory.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Max Headroom

G'day Merry Xmas Ev'ryOne

#103 Post by Max Headroom »

All I Want 4 Xmas is 2 kNow How 2 increase the Size o' the Text Font in the Title Bar Only ( th' Rest o' th' Screen / Page is Fine & Clear ). I've Already Searched th' Forum & Google, besides Poking around the Menu... Thanx in Advance! 8)

Max Headroom

#104 Post by Max Headroom »

PS Also I installed Several Pet Packages, But 1 of them ( Dunno which 1 ) Morphed the Desktop Partition Drive icons into USB icons, How can I Fix this Easily Please without removing these Packages 1 @ a Time Painfuly, then Re - installing ? :oops:

magerlab

#105 Post by magerlab »

Text Font in the Title Bar Only - what do you mean?

if it's for a font on the window manager - so there's an option in the settings manager to set it

seeker

#106 Post by seeker »

Gray,

Just when I thought Puppy 412 retro with icewm was for sure my everyday version of Puppy, I had to go and try NOP 4.12. I had never tried Xfce until now. This is really nice! I'm posting this from a frugal install of it.

FYI, I found a small bug that makes Thunar hang when clicking a sfs or iso to mount, and Thunar has to be killed with the task manager or reboot to get it to work properly again. It's easy to fix, just comment or remove the code "rox -D $MntPt" at lines 74 and 79 in /usr/sbin/filemnt.

Many thanks for creating this Puppy!

Max Headroom

#107 Post by Max Headroom »

Beg Y'r Pardon People, I Forgot 2 Mention I've Successfully Got Compiz-Fusion Working, ReMastered on2 CD in Fact :) & that is not available 2 Me w/ XFCE, I didn't realise that was a Function o' the Windo' Manager, So I've Scouted around Compiz-Fusion, But Still Can't find the Place!?! :(

HaMMeR

#108 Post by HaMMeR »

Grey,
Thanks for a great Puplet. I am a newb and had tried about a dozen puplets when I found your NOP and BoxPup. I like the conky, clock etc on BoxPup but love the feel of NOP. I think I will learn the ropes a bit & try to get those items over into NOP and have one fantastic puplet. I have one problem which is actually not a puplet issue but a puppy issue in general. The details are in my post here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=30
Don't know if there is any ideas you or anyone else reading this may have but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for a very user friendly for newb puplet.

DaveS

#109 Post by DaveS »

HaMMer........ if you follow the instructions I posted here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 437#260437 you can get Conky running just fine on NOP. Changing the permission of the start up script is a little different using the Thunar file manager in NOP. Right click on the file and select 'properties'. On the permissions tab, select 'allow to run as program'
Also, NOP does not seem to need the mod to the .xinitrc file. Good Luck. It works just fine on my system.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HaMMeR

#110 Post by HaMMeR »

DaveS,
Thanks for the help. Worked like a charm.

DaveS

#111 Post by DaveS »

Hi Gray. I have a most odd problem with NOP 4.1. Basically, I cannot re-use a pup_save file with a fresh installation. I have NOP installed as a hard drive Frugal, and a USB Frugal. If I run from the live CD, I would expect NOP to find the hard drive save file, which it does, and use it, which it also does, thus allowing me to effectively run 'my' set up from the live CD, BUT, when the desktop loads, even though it looks the same, there is a big difference. The menu button either appears and is disabled, or does not appear at all. Desktop icons such as drives etc, usually appear briefly, then are gone.
The launchbars are present, correctly configured, and work just fine. This effectively makes it impossible to transfer my set-up from one pc/boot device to another. Any ideas please?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

Xfprint

#112 Post by Henry »

When I select print from Mousepad, Xfprint appears as in the screenshot. It never saves settings, although I choose that. So I always have to reselect my laserjet default printer. An unnecesary annoyance I guess.

I use Nop 4.1.2. but this problem was around before that.
Attachments
xfprint.png
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 1606 times

Max Headroom

#113 Post by Max Headroom »

Gray Please How Do I Update w/ the Delta File from 4.1 R1 > 4.1.2 Thanx :)

humbug

Love it

#114 Post by humbug »

grey,
Just a big Thanks for NOP!

I am a newb to Linux and Puppy but NOP is what will make me stick with Puppy. I've used Opera since its shareware days and XFCE looks and works great so far.

Again, thanks!

Steve

magerlab

#115 Post by magerlab »

Max Headroom

#116 Post by Max Headroom »

Beg Y'r Pardon magerlab, But I Forget 2 Mention this is a Full install already, Not .iso File, How does this work in my case? Anybody Please! :?

Henry

Xfburn - show hidden files doesn't?

#117 Post by Henry »

I've been using Xfburn but even though I have the box ticked for "show hidden files," it does neither show nor burn them.

Comments, please?

gizmo

#118 Post by gizmo »

I am only a few days into trying puppy linux. I would prefer Opera and would probably prefer Open Office, so it sounds like I should change to NOP.
A couple of questions:

1. as I am already using Puppy Linux 4.1.2 booting from CD and saving to hard drive, will what is already saved on the hard drive (pupsave file??) have any conflict with starting over with NOP 4.1.2?

2. I have noticed that NOP is designed to run from USB or from HD install, does that mean I can't configure it to boot from CD? I have a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop which has Windows ME, I am too new to Linux to feel comfortable doing anything to upset the Windows already on the hard drive, and I'm not sure if this computer can boot from a USB stick. (Does anyone know or how can I find out?)

What are the hardware requirements for NOP? (I have 192 Mb ram which is the max this computer can take.)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Max Headroom

HELP PLEASE Any1

#119 Post by Max Headroom »

Our Naughty 7 Yea' Old Boy has Just Bought a PC Game using M' Wifes Online Auction Account, Unauthorized o' Course! I have Created an eNcrypted Pup_Save File, But it Never asks 4 th' Password when We Boot from th' Hard D' Drive :? ( But Does if I Boot from Any Live Puppy Disk :? ) ( This is a Full install )

Max Headroom

Just Trying 2 Help M'self...!

#120 Post by Max Headroom »

Seems Searching This Forum & Googling Returns Results Relative 2 Original Puppy, But I Prefer Opera & XFCE, besides I've got Compiz-Fusion Working so I'm Reluctant 2 Go back!...
8)