Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 12:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to convert .flv to .amv in Puppy, updated
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
peppyy

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov 2008, 13:20    Post subject:  How to convert .flv to .amv in Puppy, updated
Subject description: For those inexpensive players.

How to convert .flv to .amv with Puppy 3.01 and possibly others.

Hopefully this will prove to be helpful.

Edit: I created a dotpup called amverter which is in the beta stage, I would enjoy some feedback since this is a first for me. It can be found here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38147

I recently bought one of those very inexpensive Multi-Media players on eBay from Hong Kong as a present for my son. It came with software for Win to convert video to the .amv format. This is the format that many of these little players use I was determined to do it with Linux.

I followed the directions found here
and downloaded the tool here.

After some trial and error here is what worked for me.

Download the tool and copy it to usr/bin
Rename it ffmpeg-amv
Make it executable, I did this from the right click menu in 3.01

I download whatever video to a directory /video to keep things simple.
My player uses 16-fps (frames per second) and a resoloution of 160x120 so I use the following code for conversion.

Code:
ffmpeg-amv -i input-file.flv -s 160x120 -r 16 -ac 1 -ar 22050 -qmin 3 -qmax 3 output-file.amv

This works well for the player I have, in fact the quality often looks better than the original video.
I have not converted other video formats with this process so I do not know if they work or not.
I am hoping to find the time to create a little gui to add the filenames but don't count on it Wink

Last edited by peppyy on Thu 29 Jan 2009, 23:58; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
paulski

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec 2008, 13:24    Post subject:  

I did it similarly for Puppy 4.0 and it works on more formats
I downloaded :
http://amv-codec-tools.googlecode.com/files/amv-ffmpeg-linux-i386-20071030

renamed it to amv-ffmpeg

Got some hints from here
http://code.google.com/p/amv-codec-tools/wiki/HowToConvertToAMV

And ran the following in the command line to suit my Zicplay player that needs 128 x 96 amv files

Code:
./amv-ffmpeg -i  INPUTFILE -f amv -s 128x96 -r 16 -ac 1 -ar 22050 -qmin 3 -qmax 3 OUTPUTFILE.amv

It worked for flv, avi, mpg, wmv so far
To do it from vob files I have had to convert to avi first. It just gets too complex otherwise

I even used Xdialog to make a neat little script tool to make the job easier (attached). Peppy - you could improve this if you want an easy gui.
avi2amv.sh.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  avi2amv.sh.gz 
Filesize  407 Bytes 
Downloaded  485 Time(s) 
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan 2009, 20:16    Post subject:  

here is (supposedly) some code for a 2 pass ipod h264 ... I can't test it due to lack of said ipod but if anyone can confirm it I will try to make a right click option for ROX aka hot rox

Code:
ffmpeg -y -i input_file -an -v 1 -threads auto -vcodec h264 -b 500k -bt 175k -refs 1 -loop 1 -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -parti4x4 1 -partp8x8 1 -me full -subq 1 -me_range 21 -chroma 1 -slice 2 -bf 0 -level 30 -g 300 -keyint_min 30 -sc_threshold 40 -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -qcomp 0.7 -qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -i_qfactor 0.71428572 -maxrate 768k -bufsize 2M -cmp 1 -s 640x480 -f mp4 -pass 1 /dev/null

ffmpeg -y -i input_file -v 1 -threads auto -vcodec h264 -b 500k -bt 175k -refs 1 -loop 1 -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -parti4x4 1 -partp8x8 1 -me full -subq 6 -me_range 21 -chroma 1 -slice 2 -bf 0 -level 30 -g 300 -keyint_min 30 -sc_threshold 40 -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -qcomp 0.7 -qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -i_qfactor 0.71428572 -maxrate 768k -bufsize 2M -cmp 1 -s 640x480 -acodec aac -ab 96 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -f mp4 -pass 2 output_file.mp4

(change 640x480 to 320x240 and -b 500k to 175k if you will only use it on an mp4 player and not tv or computer)

peppyy

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2009, 23:23    Post subject:  

paulski wrote:

I even used Xdialog to make a neat little script tool to make the job easier (attached). Peppy - you could improve this if you want an easy gui.

Thank you, I have been pulling my hair out trying to create my first gui with glade to do this.

I found a problem with spaces in filenames and fixed that. I am using it with my settings for my player and I am sure a quick how-to would suffice for explaining that.

I have noticed the output directory is wherever the shell script is run from, I am looking into that now. Might just be worth wrapping up for folks once it is all done. I have built dotpups but no pets yet.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Wink

technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 23:05    Post subject:  

old thread - I made woo-ff since this was started
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: