Emacs.pup available for download

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Johnny Reb

Emacs.pup available for download

#1 Post by Johnny Reb »

I finally got my compiler working again, and recompiled emacs so that it would be eaiser to make a dotpup out of it. You can download emacs.pup here: http://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=1131773458/emacs.pup Please note, this will install to /usr/local/emacs. It is also a big download @ 21MB, and installed takes up 66MB, so if you are low on disk space you are warned.

"Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in this right hand." ~ General Robert E. Lee C.S.A.

"If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?" ~ Frederic Bastiat, The Law
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#2 Post by Johnny Reb »

Here's a screenshot of Emacs & the output of pwgen on Puppy.

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. ~Thomas Jefferson

It is the besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which the masses of men exhibit their tyranny.
~ James Fenimore Cooper

What luck for rulers that men do not think. ~ Adolf Hitler

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. ~ Voltaire
Attachments
screen-shot-emacs-pwgen.jpg
(90.93 KiB) Downloaded 3291 times

RMW

#3 Post by RMW »

Hmph, can't find the executable to run this once it's installed... granted it's early in the morning and I'm a bonehead :) Don't see it in the emacs directory. Point me in the right direction?

jcagle

#4 Post by jcagle »

I can't download form iHud apparently.

Can anyone repost it somewhere else? Same with Thunderbird.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

The Dotpup did not work.
It installed to /usr/local/emacs/bin....

But emacs needs the files in the standard-filehierarchy.

I repackaged it, and stripped some files and added a menue-entry.
I also replaced the binary "emacs" with a symlink to "emacs-21.4".

But it still needs 60 MB extracted, because LISP is really huge.

Download: (16 MB):
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Text_Editors/emacs-21.4.pup

If you installed the old Dotpup, uninstall it first with PupGet and reboot!

The installation takes some minutes, so be patient and wait until this message shows:

Mark

jcagle

#6 Post by jcagle »

Will do when I get home from school tonight.

RMW

#7 Post by RMW »

still doesn't work for me :( did eat all entries in IceWM start menu. Categories are still there, but they are seen as empty. JWM seems to be alright.

MU

#8 Post by MU »

RMW, more details please.

What for errors do you get, when you type "emacs" in a console-window?
Mark

RMW

#9 Post by RMW »

Code: Select all

# emacs
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/21.4/leim' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/21.4/lisp' does not exist.
Cannot open load file: term/x-win

MU

#10 Post by MU »

Are you shure, you downloaded "my" Emacs and not the old dotpup from JR?
Do you have sufficient space on the harddrive? (60 MB)

I just installed it on another Puppy, and it works fine, the folders are there, too.

If you are really shure, then you could try it the hard way:

Save the dotpup in a folder like /root/emacs-install

In a console type this:

cd /root/emacs-install
unzip emacs-21.4.pup
tar -xzvf FILESYSTEM.tgz

Now open this folder in ROX.
You will see a subfolder /usr

Copy the files in it to the real /usr on your Harddrive.

i just wonder what went wrong on your system :?:

Greets, Mark

RMW

#11 Post by RMW »

Dunno, should be enough space. Granted I've messed up my pup001 pretty bad with various experiments recently. Might have to start with a clean one and rebuild.

Johnny Reb

#12 Post by Johnny Reb »

MU wrote:The Dotpup did not work.
It installed to /usr/local/emacs/bin....
Mark
Humm, this is suprising because I tested this dotpup on an instance of Puppy that I had installed on another partition. I'll try it again on a Puppy on a completly different computer and see what happens. If it does not work I'll see if I can get a dotpup made that works. I can't imagine why the dotpup worked when I tested it though, and did not work for anyone else unless it got corrupted in the upload.

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.
~ H.L. Mencken

"Under Federal Legislation, the exports of the South have been the basis of the Federal Revenue. Virginia, the two Carolina's, and Georgia, may be said to defray three fourths of the annual expense of supporting the Federal Government; and of this great sum, annually furnished by them, nothing or next to nothing is returned to them, in the shape of Government expenditures. that expenditure flows in an opposite direction -- it flows north, in one uniform, uninterrupted and perennial stream. This is the reason why wealth disappears from the south and rises up in the north. Federal Legislation does this." ~ Senator Thomas Hart Benton
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#13 Post by Johnny Reb »

jcagle wrote:I can't download form iHud apparently.

Can anyone repost it somewhere else? Same with Thunderbird.
I just checked iHud, and the file is there, and downloadable (I started a download and then killed it after it had begun just to make sure). I was afraid that iHud might have deleted it. Both iHud and yourfilehost.com are freesites that will allow you to upload files for others to download. The only catch is that if you don't get a certain number of downloads for a certain period of time then they will delete the file. I'll check on the Thunderbird.pup later because I've not got time right now, but if it's not been downloaded enough to meet the sites quota then it may have been deleted. In the meantime, keep trying to download it, and if successful let me know.

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors; they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, it we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men." ~ Samuel Adams, article published in 1771

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." ~ Samuel Adams
~ Thomas Paine

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#14 Post by GuestToo »

I can't imagine why the dotpup worked when I tested it though, and did not work for anyone else unless it got corrupted in the upload.
this is one of the nice features of the dotpup system ... if the md5sums were setup properly, you know that the files in the downloaded dotpup package should be absolutely byte-for-byte identical with the files on the packager's computer

jcagle

#15 Post by jcagle »

MU's download worked for me.

They've added quite a bit of stuff to Emacs since I last used it. I don't remember having games in it before.

RMW

#16 Post by RMW »

I started with a fresh pup001 and Emacs works. Must have been something horrible I did to the system trying to uninstall some standard distro packages. Now to get a working Lisp installed (CLISP or GCL) so I can try to get Maxima compiled...

EarlSmith

#17 Post by EarlSmith »

JohnnyReb, where did you find that quote by Robert E. Lee? I've never seen it before!
Also, have you seen the Battle Flag that the SCV installed on the side of I-65 between Birmingham and Montgomery. A really huge flag and a totally awe inspiring site and sight!

Johnny Reb

#18 Post by Johnny Reb »

EarlSmith wrote:JohnnyReb, where did you find that quote by Robert E. Lee? I've never seen it before!
Also, have you seen the Battle Flag that the SCV installed on the side of I-65 between Birmingham and Montgomery. A really huge flag and a totally awe inspiring site and sight!
Hello Neighbor! Depending on where Chelsea Alabama is, we might be pretty close to being neighbors anyway.

The quote is not well known for obvious reasons since "those people" want to portray Mars Robert as being repentent & regretful for his part in defending The South, and the Constitutional principles upon which the Republic of Republics was founded upon, which he was not. There is actually more to the quote than what I have there, but the protion that's not posted is very telling. Gen. Lee made the statement to the Confederate govenor of Texas in 1869 if I remember correctly, and in the portion that I left out he states that for some reason "those people" looked upon him as a represenative of The Southern People, and he had to be careful about what he said in public because of that. The quote can be found online in several places http://southernmessenger.org/ is one place where it's online. Donnie Kennedy also has that quote, and the background to it in his book The South was Right.

I've not seen the Flag, but I know it's part of the SCV's project wave. They have flags like that in Florida, and I believe they have at least one like that in Georgia. I'd like to think that they would get one up in Mississippi, but the Mississippi SCV has got problems that will likely prevent that happening.

In closing, I'll post another quote of Mars. Robert's that you may not have heard before in addition to that one.

"I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity." ~ Robert E. Lee

"We must not for our own pleasure lose sight of the insterest of our children." ~ Robert E. Lee

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies".... ~ Robert E. Lee

"I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation." ~ Robert E. Lee

"What a glorious world God Almighty has given us. How thankless and ungrateful we are, and how we labor to mar His gifts." ~ Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA

"Duty is the sublimest word in our English language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." ~ Robert E.Lee

"We could have pursued no other course without dishonour. And as sad as the results have been, if it had all to be done over again, we should be
compelled to act in precisely the same manner." ~ General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

"Every one should do all in his power to collect and disseminate the truth, in the hope it may find a place in history and descend to posterity. History is not the relation of campaigns, and
battles, and generals or other individuals, but that which shows the principles for which the South contended and which justified her struggle for those principles."
~ Gen. Robert E. Lee

"All that the South has ever desired was the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth." ~ Gen. Robert E. Lee

"Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in this right hand." ~ CSA General Robert E. Lee
~ Thomas Paine