Icon Themes Exchange

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
afecelis

#21 Post by afecelis »

whoa! Whodo, you must be one of Puppy's devs, aren't you? ;)

Thanks for the valuable info. I'll try it and let you guys know how things go.

One more thing, I use a 1280x1024 screen resolution, and while I use the same res in windows and ubuntu and have no problems with fonts, in puppy they're hard to read and very small. Is there a way to get fonts with a higher definition or a tip to improve their aspect in puppy? Thanks a ton!

meanwhile, here's my desktop so far, using both icon and icewm themes developed "in-house" ;)

regards,
Alvaro

afecelis

#22 Post by afecelis »

Whodo, I gound the file to modify, but I got these options:

Code: Select all

killall freememapplet-tray
#sleep 3 && /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &
So I remove the # to uncomment it. But when Iook in: /root/my-applications , in effect it isn't there. From checking the hidden jwmrc-tray file, I can see it uses the application "freememapplet" but there's no path to it, and I already looked in the possible folders wehere the system may find it and had no luck. Yet, if I open a console and tye in "freememapplet" it stars, in a weird location on the screen, but starts, ;) so it's recognized system-wise.
Don't worry, it's not that bad if I don't have it by the clock :)

regards,
Alvaro

WhoDo

#23 Post by WhoDo »

afecelis wrote:Whodo, I gound the file to modify, but I got these options:

#sleep 3 && /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &
Change the startup file to read as follows:

sleep 3 && freememapplet &
It should run on startup.

You can change the font size at Menu>Desktop>Set Global Font Size and for fonts in the IceWM window manager such as the taskbar you need to edit /root/.icewm/preferences or prefoverride files.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

afecelis

#24 Post by afecelis »

thanks a lot Whodo. Puppy has got so much to explore! You begin with the basic stuff, then you want window managers, then you find th epuplets, then you see how it easy it is to update your puppy by replacing files, etc etc etc!!! It's a never ending story!
So I found out Flexxxpup Nibiru and tried it out (also tried out other several puplets on my smaller usb drive), now I got the best of both worlds, the looks and many nice proggies pre-installed. Then digging the forums I found out there were pets to install nvidia drivers, python ,etc etc. Now I got the latest Blender running smooth as silk!!!!
Now glxgears runs at 13000-17000 fps!!! :D And I got my frespace indicator by te clock!

I'm loving it!
many thanks for all the support. I'll keep checking the forums.

regards,
Alvaro

Eyes-Only

#25 Post by Eyes-Only »

Beautiful screenie Alvaro! :shock: WOW! And that's awesome frame rate on the gears---Holy Moley!

What's even better than all that though?

Is seeing someone having the FUN they were originally MEANT to have had with their computer. Now that's precious, and not even all the gold in the world can compare to the feeling that gives me mate! Seriously.

I know that many others here feel similarly. Well... maybe they'd leave off "all the gold in the world" part. hehe! But I've already got all I want: I've got grandchildren. :)

In all seriousness though, I think this is what computers were meant to be for the home environment, see? Something you you used to keep track of the finances, did letters upon, fiddled with for enjoyment purposes (and not to get the latest virus off from!), did artwork, let your imagination roam upon fertile ground, you know?

Instead---look at what they became! Something we put more effort into keeping running than actually DOING. A great waste of time.

For me? Linux has made my time both productive and enjoyable again. :) I think it'll do likewise for you, especially the Pup, eh?

Glad you're happy Alvaro. Explore! Create! And share!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

afecelis

#26 Post by afecelis »

:D :D :D
Eyes-Only, your words truly are both inspirational and motivating! :D
Indeed they describe how I feel right now seeing and feeling so much power in something so small.
I also agree Linux was thought to offer its users a true computing experience without limitations of any type, but with the Puppy I'm feeling something new. Having the chance of taking the whole experience with you, your files, your work, your games, your dreams.... really takes the whole concept beyond anything seen before ;)

I was a 100% windows user, but then I played around with Mandrake, Gentoo, SUSE, and lately Ubuntu, which I'm very fond of, but the Puppy (and its community) is something new and refreshing in the Linux scene!

Thanks a lot for the kind words about the screenie, I hope to post some more soon but in the proper forum, as I'm totally deviating the direction of this one. I already got the developers sfs package running on startup so now I hope to be able to compile some stuff of my own, and I hope to be able to play a couple of 3d accelerated games to see how the puppy behaves. ;)

warmest regards,

Alvaro

EDITED: now I'm the one who has to say "Holy Moley! " ;)
With the developer sfs, I was able to compile yafray's source, and now I got blender+yafray running! amazing! nice! cool! no words! ;)

JavaNut13

Theme

#27 Post by JavaNut13 »

which theme are you using???
is it on IceWM??

jebaJQ8

#28 Post by jebaJQ8 »

JQ8flat icon theme: JQ8flat.pet

zigbert

#29 Post by zigbert »

jebaJQ8
This is a great theme, and would fit perfect as a icon-theme in Puppy 4.2.
Mainly because it
- looks good
- it is flat - the opposite as the DeepThought icon-theme.
- it could be repacked in grayscaled mode. This will half the size of the theme.

To get it work perfectly in my Puppy 4.2 approach, it will need a few more icons:

burn48.png
calc48.png (calculator)
clock48.png
edit48.png (notepad)
games48.png
imageviewer48.png
network48.png
printer48.png
scanner48.png
search48.png
show-desktop24.png
star48.png (favorites)
system48.png
View48.png (view document)

GREAT WORK !!!
Sigmund

jebaJQ8

#30 Post by jebaJQ8 »

jebaJQ8
This is a great theme, and would fit perfect as a icon-theme in Puppy 4.2.
Mainly because it
- looks good
- it is flat - the opposite as the DeepThought icon-theme.
- it could be repacked in grayscaled mode. This will half the size of the theme.

To get it work perfectly in my Puppy 4.2 approach, it will need a few more icons:

burn48.png
calc48.png (calculator)
clock48.png
edit48.png (notepad)
games48.png
imageviewer48.png
network48.png
printer48.png
scanner48.png
search48.png
show-desktop24.png
star48.png (favorites)
system48.png
View48.png (view document)

GREAT WORK !!!
Sigmund
Thank you, Sigmund.
I am going to make the lost icons.

I know about your great works for the DeepThought, and I like them.

Thank you. :D

jebaJQ8

zigbert

#31 Post by zigbert »

jebaJQ8

More icons - that is good news!
Here is my 'secret' plan to convince WhoDo adding this icon-theme into Puppy 4.2. - Simply make it soooo small that WhoDo can't resist it. I converted the chat-icon (3088 bytes) to a indexed image with 4 bits colordepth (16 colors). This gave a new size at 671 bytes. I had to slightly retouch the icon because I lost transparency, - but then just as good as the original. The complete theme will be around 30 kb. The Stardust theme is 156 kb (not complete) and too similar to DeepThought.

Sigmund

jebaJQ8

#32 Post by jebaJQ8 »

JQ8flat-lite.tar.gz

Sigmund,

I wrestled with lowering file size of JQ8flat icon theme. :(

56kb..., not enough?

Reaching 30kb seems to have been too hard for me.
I think that I cut down file size to the limit.
I do not want to worsen the look of these icons.
How do you think of this result?

Regards,

jebaJQ8

magerlab

#33 Post by magerlab »

i think you also need to change also icons( xpm mostly?) for application entries in menu to match this nice icon theme

zigbert

#34 Post by zigbert »

jebaJQ8
excellent!!!!
I think 56kb is great.
But I'm not the one to decide what's in Puppy 4.2, and what's not. I will make a package to fit the extended DeepThought icon-themes (and give a note on my post 'Puppy 4.2 - Desktop and Artwork'). I personally think your icons together with the DeepThought icons (or similar) would be a perfect couple. They are different in many ways, and give a true choice to the user.

Merry Christmas
Sigmund

zigbert

#35 Post by zigbert »

jebaJQ8
I have repacked it, and the *.pet size shows only 27 kb. Please take a look here.

It is now fully integrated in my desktop project.
Great work!

jebaJQ8

#36 Post by jebaJQ8 »

jebaJQ8
I have repacked it, and the *.pet size shows only 27 kb. Please take a look here.

It is now fully integrated in my desktop project.
Great work!
Thank you, Sigmund. :D

jebaJQ8

JQ8flat-lite for 4.1

#37 Post by jebaJQ8 »

I repacked JQ8flat-lite for puppy4.1.
Download JQ8flat-lite for Puppy4.1:
JQ8flat-lite_for4.1.pet

Contents:
Desktop icons (48×48, indexed color png image,63 icons, 66kb)
Rox file icons (128×128, indexed color png image,70 icons, 60 links, 76kb)

How to use:
Desktop icons: Start menu> Desktop> Desktop icon switcher> select JQ8flat-lite_for4.1.
File icons: Right click on the window> options> Types> Themes/Icon theme> choose JQ8flat-lite and click OK.
Don't forget to restart x-server.

Have fun!

jebaJQ8

horseman

#38 Post by horseman »

I'm having the same problem as afecelis was having before with the freememapplet not showing in the tray. When I add the freememapplet command in my startup file, it just opens in the top-right corner of my screen. I've checked the jwmrc-tray file and the command it uses (and works in jwm) is the same as what I'm using in the startup file.

Any ideas?

rjbrewer

#39 Post by rjbrewer »

Horseman;

I was having the disappearing freememapplet problem with 4.0
Dingo. Sometimes restarting jwm or xwindow would bring it back.

Eventually I just installed the freememapplet 1.0 pet from the
puppy package manager.

Useing 4.1.2 now; no problem.

rjb

horseman

#40 Post by horseman »

My problem isn't that it disappears, but that it opens as a windowed app. I can move it around and everything. I'm wanting to open in the tray as it does in jwm. Thanks!