Boxpup 4.1.2 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
magerlab

#61 Post by magerlab »

very nice to have an update to my favorite pupplet
also i want to thank gray for xfce4 pet and updates of opera

is there a way to increase font of hdbar?
it always resets to 6 inspite of my settings....

gray

hotbar font size

#62 Post by gray »

Magerlab, if you look in /etc/hotbar folder there is a script called restart_bar.
The font size is set in that.

magerlab

#63 Post by magerlab »

Ok, i 'll look at that script

gray

oops

#64 Post by gray »

Sorry Magerlab, wrong script :oops:

The font is set in pup_event_frontend_d which is in the /sbin folder

In function add_desktopfile_func at line 73

:oops:

T_Hobbit

#65 Post by T_Hobbit »

How can we prevent Opera (or any other program) to cover wbar/lxpanel/tint/drive icons on Maximize?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

gray

Openbox config

#66 Post by gray »

@T_Hobbit :

Use the Margins setting in the Openbox Configuration Manager in the Desktop Menu.

miaso

why some files can't be found on my removeable disks?

#67 Post by miaso »

Why some files can't be found on my removeable disks?
Don' t surrpot NTFS?

T_Hobbit

#68 Post by T_Hobbit »

You did it again!

Thanks Gray,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for all of you!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

dalderton

Cups HPIJS

#69 Post by dalderton »

Is there a reason why the current Puppy and derivatives use only the Gutenprint drivers in Cups.I find them to be painfully slow with my HP5550 Deskjet printer.With Puppy 4.1.1 I can load the old cups version 0.3 Pet and as it has the HPIJS drivers in it ,it appears to combine with the included one and my printer works well with the recommended foomatic driver. With Box(which is otherwise really good)this does not happen for some reason.Also after doing the above gutenprint doesnt work either.
I have also downloaded the HPIJS package with the package manager but it will not operate with the existing Box Cups Package.
I would love to use Box but without the printer working it is less than ideal.
Any thoughts anyone.
Regards Dennis

T_Hobbit

#70 Post by T_Hobbit »

Printer problems...
I still need help on how to config an USB printer connected to USB port of my WiFi router (Asus WL-500G Premium).
T_Hobbit

doggiebowwow

#71 Post by doggiebowwow »

I just registered to give kudos to gray for creating such an elegant pupplet. I like the choice of software that was bundled in compared with the main puppy linux. I support the idea of using Opera as the built in browser - it already has built in irc,mail rss,note taking and bittorent functionality (and so much more) built in. I wish that the big red O icon for opera was used though instead of the 'globe' icon.

wosifat

#72 Post by wosifat »

Did anyone figure out that problem with looking for the old pup_410.sfs file? I have stock Puppy41 installed on the HD frugal, and the last time I tried to run Boxpup after saving the session, it loaded the info for Puppy41 instead of Boxpup.

eliza_a

pidgin

#73 Post by eliza_a »

I prefer pidgin to ayttm and now there's a pet that works with boxpup :)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=262752

thank you for writing it ttuuxxx

e.

Terryphi

How do I add icons or menu items to the desktop?

#74 Post by Terryphi »

I am very impressed with Boxpup and have added some programs running on wine. Everything works fine from the command line but I would like to create desktop icons or menu entries for them. I have tried to send the executables to the desktop but it appears to be locked. Does it come that way by default? If so, how do I unlock it?

Later: I have now edited /root/.wbar so I have that sorted. :) I have also replaced the Internet icon with Opera icon. A copy is attached below for anyone who wants it. Copy it into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps and amend the entry for "Internet" to point to it.

However, I would still like to know how to edit the right-click menu on the desktop for additional applications I don't want to include in wbar. How do manual additions affect the "refresh menu" option?
Attachments
opera.png
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 1173 times

wosifat

#75 Post by wosifat »

The latest...
Someone finally told me how to get Pysol working, and I'm loving boxpup. Just got a laptop, and want to get a battery monitor in conky, but can't find the conkyrc file. It's not in /root. Where is it?

gray

conky

#76 Post by gray »

Try /etc/conky. Depending on your choice of panel you want to edit rc_right (lxpanel) or tin_rc_right (tint).

37fleetwood

Re: How do I add icons or menu items to the desktop?

#77 Post by 37fleetwood »

Terryphi wrote:I am very impressed with Boxpup and have added some programs running on wine. Everything works fine from the command line but I would like to create desktop icons or menu entries for them. I have tried to send the executables to the desktop but it appears to be locked. Does it come that way by default? If so, how do I unlock it?

Later: I have now edited /root/.wbar so I have that sorted. :) I have also replaced the Internet icon with Opera icon. A copy is attached below for anyone who wants it. Copy it into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps and amend the entry for "Internet" to point to it.

However, I would still like to know how to edit the right-click menu on the desktop for additional applications I don't want to include in wbar. How do manual additions affect the "refresh menu" option?
I noticed that you were asking about putting Icons on the desktop and I thought it was mentioned earlier in the thread but it was actually in the original Boxpup thread, Open box doesn't support desktop icons or have a taskbar on it's own. I suppose for someone with limited resources a Puplet with openbox without the docks would be a little bit smaller and quicker but Boxpup is so beautiful it would need to be a separate project. you might like to read the original thread for the original boxpup so I found it and coppied the link for you :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 70&t=32792
as far as editing anything to add icons to the start menu or wbar I can't help
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

plankenstein

may have found the one

#78 Post by plankenstein »

just loaded boxpup and i'm loving it so far. :D really like the openbox desktop and opera. one quick question. i'm still a big time newb and this is my first post so forgive any ignorance i might show, but will the open office sfs that pudgypup uses work on boxpup? if that will go and i can get my printer to work then i might get the wife and kids to let me trash the doze and nuke the cd YEAH!
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

Bad_Linhat

#79 Post by Bad_Linhat »

Hi to all,
I find the new Boxpup superb, but I have a problem.
Anyone can suggest me a good audio cd player ?
With Xine, when I play an audio cd, I got several "jump" on the sound reproduction.
It happens at regular intervals making impossible to listen a song...
Another question: is possible install Thunar-volman ?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.
BR

plankenstein

open office 3

#80 Post by plankenstein »

WOOHOO!!! Got OpenOffice3.sfs loaded and working. :D Now just got to get my canon pixma ip2600 working and I'll really be a happy camper. Anybody know anything about using turboprint in puppy? Seems like I saw something about it in another post somewhere. But, looking at their sight I'm not sure if I would need the rpm, deb, or tar gz package. Managed to get this printer to work in ubuntu, before I discovered this wonder distro. Maybe I could just drag the ppd file out of the hdd that was on and try to stuff it into the cups if someone could tell me where to stick it. :shock: Be nice now!

Anyway, enough rambling! Puppy is one Amazing distro, and boxpup is an absolute thing of beauty. Thanks so much for all the fine work you all do! And with a little time and patience, maybe I can give back and contribute a little to this wonderful community in the future.