Open Office 3

Using applications, configuring, problems
can8v

Open Office 3

#1 Post by can8v »

Today I did a Microsuck Windoze install of Open Office 3 final. I was actually impressed that I can select just the components I want to install. I installed only Swriter and Scalc. This is what I thought I would be able to do in Linux, but have yet to figure out how to do this in Puppy. Can anyone point in the right direction for this? I am using the latest NOP, but would be happy to adapt instruction written for 4.1.1.
Thanks,
Can8v
Edit: It was not my windoze machine. I am still hating on MS

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

You didn't say what type of puppy installation that you have. Assuming a frugal installation, the best solution is to download the latest Openoffice 3.0 sfs file and place it in your /mnt/home location. No installation is necessary, you just select the sfs file with your boot manager. NOTE: You must rename the Openoffice3.0.sfs to something like Openoffice30_411.sfs for the bootmanager to recognize it. 411 represents the version puppy you are using. Change that to match your version. The latest is 412.

After selecting it in bootmanager, reboot and you should have it.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

Please continue to hate MS. :wink:
I am not aware of a direct installation of OOo in puppy besides the classical pet or sfs approach.
The OOo site only reference a RPM approach.

As far as I can see the OOo install, there is no uninstall function of components.

If you have a frugal install the best approach is to use the OOo sfs file.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

can8v

#4 Post by can8v »

I am and have been using OO3, the problem is that I don't want to install the whole thing. I have some rather old and low resource laptops I would like to run writer and calc, but installing the whole suit is asking a bit much of these machines. Yet I am simply left unsatisfied with Abi and Gnumeric. I need more MicroSuck compatibility that these apps offer. The only realistic Linux alternative right now is OO2 or OO3. It just burns my butt that the folks over at OpenOffice.org would give Windoze users a big advantage over Linux users. I really disappointed that they only offer RPM, which is exactly what I found as well. I was really hoping so super sharp Puppy guy or gal would have figured out a way and all I needed to do was ask and they would say well duh all you have to do is this or that. I would think to myself how did I miss that? It just seems unfathomable that the OpenOffice folks would screw Linux users and cater to Winsuck users.
can8v

Edit:
I think it is high time that an organization similar to The Friends of Apache is formed for OpenOffice. The Friends of OpenOffice perhaps. This organization could make it simpler to install the suite on various distros. Perhaps I could install the whole stupid package and then grab a winsuck machine and install only writer and calc, then simply delete the directories that don't exist in the winsuck install. That might get me close?

bezeen

#5 Post by bezeen »

deleted

gymnart

#6 Post by gymnart »

Well I tried all that (placed OpenOffice in the same location as my pup save file [mnt/home], renamed Open Office to Openoffice30_412.sfs, selected it in the boot manager-- tried it twice--once with the "ignore and load all 412 files"checked off) but still nothing.

Where else can we get it? Maybe another one would work better?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

Maybe you check it on.
Time savers:

gymnart

#8 Post by gymnart »

@Béèm:
I don't understand.

Béèm

#9 Post by Béèm »

gymnart wrote:once with the "ignore and load all 412 files"checked off
Check it on.
Time savers:

Sit Heel Speak

#10 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

gymnart wrote:Well I tried all that (placed OpenOffice in the same location as my pup save file [mnt/home], renamed Open Office to Openoffice30_412.sfs, selected it in the boot manager-- tried it twice--once with the "ignore and load all 412 files"checked off) but still nothing...
1. Open Office is a very large application, probably not feasible in under 196 MB of RAM. If you have less, you're better off using Abiword and Gnumeric.

2. Let us see the paragraph in grub menu.lst that starts this Puppy.

gymnart

#11 Post by gymnart »

Where do I find that? I tried looking for it in the grub bootloader config wizard but it said that I don't have a grub configuration file that can be viewed. What's up with that?

I found this in the /etc/rc.d/bootconfig:
PREVUNIONRECORD='pup_save-Bobbie.2fs pup_412.sfs OpenOffice30_412.sfs'
LASTUNIONRECORD='pup_save-Bobbie.2fs pup_412.sfs OpenOffice30_412.sfs'
EXTRASFSLIST='OpenOffice30_412.sfs'

Sit Heel Speak

#12 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@gymnart: did you install Puppy via the Universal Installer? A frugal install? To a hard disk, or to a USB stick? If to a hard disk, you'll have /boot/grub/menu.lst. If to a USB stick it's syslinux.cfg or isolinux.cfg. Open it in geany, and paste-in here whatever part starts your Puppy.
can8v wrote:...I was really hoping so(me) super sharp Puppy guy or gal would have figured out a way...
Open an rxvt terminal. Now issue

Code: Select all

cd /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/program
ls pagein*
pagein-common, pagein-calc and pagein-writer are the three you want.

Open these as text (in geany) and you will see that they are essentially nothing but calls to libraries, e.g. pagein-writer consists of just two lines, thus

libswli.so
libsvxli.so

Now do

ldd libswli.so
...and the long list of dependencies you will see, gives you an idea of what you are asking. What you would like someone to do, is create an Open Office Writer-and-Calc-only .sfs which keeps all the ldd-listed dependencies of all the libs of the three components you want, and doesn't carry the unused dependencies of all the libs of the two components you don't want.

Perhaps the creation of it could be automated via a program, if someone has the time. I agree that both AbiWord and Gnumeric fall short of Writer and Calc. But none of my computers is sufficiently low in RAM for it to be a pressing need for me, and besides I use Impress and Draw.

Aside: it should also be noted that there is no need to include more than a single TrueType font in /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/share/fonts/truetype, since by using spadmin you can point Open Office to your distro's existing fonts in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF or wherever. On MU's Open Office .sfs for wow's unnamed new puplet, getting rid of the duplicated DejaVu fonts would save about 4 MB. But of course the end-user would need to know how to use spadmin.

MU

#13 Post by MU »

gymnart wrote: I found this in the /etc/rc.d/bootconfig:
PREVUNIONRECORD='pup_save-Bobbie.2fs pup_412.sfs OpenOffice30_412.sfs'
LASTUNIONRECORD='pup_save-Bobbie.2fs pup_412.sfs OpenOffice30_412.sfs'
EXTRASFSLIST='OpenOffice30_412.sfs'
looks good, so it should be loaded.
You can type in a consolewindow:
losetup
That should list it, too, you should see something like:
/dev/loop3: 0 /mnt/dev_save/Openoffice30_412.sfs

If it is not in the menu, type:
fixmenus
Then restart JWM. This should rebuild Puppys menu.

If still no joy, type:
openoffice.org3 -writer

Do you get an error message?
If yes, how does it look like?
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Sit Heel Speak

#14 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@Mark and gymnart:

I agree that fixmenus then restarting JWM should place Open Office Writer in gymnart's Documents menu, but
MU wrote:If still no joy, type:
openoffice.org3 -writer
I don't think /opt is in the PATH, and anyway it's swriter not writer. So, gymnart would need to issue

/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter
and see what errors that gives.

My question above, concerning menu.lst, was intended to see if gymnart is using a psubdir and, if so, perhaps did he place the .sfs inside it, or in the topmost dir of the partition? --the .sfs should be in /initrd/mnt/dev_save, which is to say /mnt/home. Not /mnt/home/puppy412.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 19 Dec 2008, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#15 Post by MU »

I don't know how this sfs was built.
The one I made, has openoffice.org3 in /usr/bin.

So good, that you mention /opt/.

My sfs can be downloaded here (5 language version, 230 MB):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 396#258396

From /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org3-writer.desktop:
Exec=openoffice.org3 -writer
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Sit Heel Speak

#16 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

MU wrote:From /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org3-writer.desktop:
Exec=openoffice.org3 -writer
Mark
Ah, I see, a new syntax. In the other (not yours) .sfs, it can also be started using

/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -writer
I forget where I obtained, i.e. who produced, the /opt Open Office 3 .sfs. I think it's JB4x4's, from
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34325.

@gymnart:

...so, use whichever commandline goes with whichever Open Office .sfs you are using. Mark's if openoffice.org3 is a file in /usr/bin, or mine if openofficeorg.3 is a folder in /opt.

HTH, SHS

MU

#17 Post by MU »

The debs or rpms contain OO in /opt.
But there is are additional ones, for desktop integration.
I use: openoffice.org3.0-freedesktop-menus-3.0-9354.noarch.rpm
It generates the required files/symlinks in /usr.
Mark

gymnart

#18 Post by gymnart »

Thanks so much for your replies!

Puppy is done on my computer this way:
I boot from the CD and it reads my saved settings from my usb stick (/mnt/home/ - a 2 Gig stick) and the OpenOffice sfs is saved in /mnt/home/ also, right where my pupsave.sfs is. I don't know what kind of installation you would call that.

@Mu, do you have one that is just one language? (English) I don't have a lot of room now. BTW, are there dependencies? I might be missing some, I don't know.

I am going to try those other things and report my findings back to you guys!

P.S. I'm a woman :D I know, it's hard to tell on these boards. I've come across that on Mozillazine forums too. :D

So, I tried those commands and all I got was "directory not found" and "file not found" and "bad command or filename"

I have added an attachment of a screenshot of where the files are and the message I get when I double click on the OpenOffice file.

I have just tried getting the other OpenOffice version from that page
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34325. But I did not rename it. Should I do that?
I added the recent OOo file to the bootmanager's start up and that made no difference.
Attachments
NoOOo-Screenshot.jpg
No OpenOffice 4 me :(
(57.07 KiB) Downloaded 540 times

gymnart

#19 Post by gymnart »

Here is an updated snapshot. I went to the .sfs file and clicked on that and then It said, "Success...", etc and a message that it was mounted and something about unmounting. But when I clicked on the resulting group of files and tried to start writer or the base, it would not start. Anyway, the snapshot shows you the message.
Attachments
NowWhat.jpg
Now what?
(53.25 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

Sit Heel Speak

#20 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Inability of Puppy 4.1n's BootManager to automount its .sfs add-ons if the partition they are resident on is formatted ext3, is a known bug, which to my knowledge has not yet been fixed. When you issue the command

mount
it should tell you whether the USB stick is ext3, fat16, fat32 (=vfat), or something else.

Another thing I notice is: that is a strange size for an Open Office 3 .sfs.

Mark's 5-language OO3 .sfs is 229,044,224 bytes.
JB4x4's (to which my advice applies) is about 158 MB.

Yours is...2,247,787 bytes??? Even if one digit is chopped and it's really 224 million and change...where did you get this .sfs file?

Aside from the strange size...

The reason why clicking the .desktop icon doesn't start swriter, is because even though you've mounted the .sfs you still have not merged its contents into your main Linux filesystem. What the writer .desktop entry does is, it attempts to call /usr/local/bin/swriter, which is a symlink to the "real" swriter.

You could create the symlinks (if it's JB4x4's OO3) by doing this:

cd /usr/local/bin
rm -a sbase
ln -s /mnt/+initrd+mnt+dev_save+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/sbase sbase
rm -a scalc
ln -s /mnt/+initrd+mnt+dev_save+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/scalc scalc
rm -a sdraw
ln -s /mnt/+initrd+mnt+dev_save+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/sdraw sdraw
rm -a simpress
ln -s /mnt/+initrd+mnt+dev_save+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/simpress simpress
rm -a smath
ln -s /mnt/+initrd+mnt+dev_save+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/smath smath
rm -a soffice
ln -s /mnt/+initrd+mnt+dev_save+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice soffice
rm -a swriter
ln -s /mnt/+initrd+mnt+dev_save+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter swriter
Then, by clicking on the OO3 .sfs to mount it, clicking on the .desktop icons would work. At least, I think it would...

If the USB stick to which you have saved pup_save.2fs and the OpenOffice 3 .sfs is formatted ext3, try reformatting it to fat16 or vfat (fat32) and see if the OO3 .sfs can now be made to automount in Boot Manager.