Recommended/supported PCMCIA wireless cards?

shoggoth80

Recommended/supported PCMCIA wireless cards?

#1 Post by shoggoth80 »

Hey everyone,
Brand new to the forums, and sorta new to Linux in general, and new to Puppy.

I am having a hard time getting my machine to recognize my wireless card. It's sort of a generic PCMCIA card, runs on IEEE 802.11b/g specs.
I thought it auto-detected it last night (which was more or less useless, I live out in the sticks), but on campus today, I couldn't get it to recognize. I tried autoprobing through one of the features, but no luck. None of the modules seemed to kick it into gear either.

So, 2 questions. Is there a hardware autodetect function (pretty sure there is some utility to at least aid this), and what is the path/name of it?

#2. Are there any inexpensive PCMCIA cards that are known to work with Puppy? I wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks to just grab something off the shelf that is essentially plug-n-play.

This appears to be in the advanced topics area, though this seems like more a newbie question... this was the wireless section, so I figured it was the best place to ask.

datagrubber

#2 Post by datagrubber »

Just installed puppy 4.1.1 on a Gateway Solo 1250 for someone and would like to know what card to recommend to them also.

ieee488

#3 Post by ieee488 »

From personal experience, D-link DWL-G630 firmware C2 and Linksys WPC100 are recognized in Puppy 4.1.1retro.

The Linksys WPC100 requires use of ndiswrapper.

I buy my PCMCIA cards on eBay. Usually get an excellent values with the used ones where the owner has upgraded to a new laptop with built-in wireless.

datagrubber

wifi card

#4 Post by datagrubber »

thanks

ezeze5000

re-PCMCIA wireless cards

#5 Post by ezeze5000 »

I got my Belkin F5D7010 Ver.7032

Note: I had to use NDIS Wrapper.

This card does work good though.

It is working with Puppy 4.1.1

I bought this card at Wal-Mart.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!