jfsutils-1.1.13

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Chewi

jfsutils-1.1.13

#1 Post by Chewi »

I generally find that JFS is not a very popular filesystem but I really don't know why because I think it's great. I've found its performance on older machines to actually be very good. I even tried it on an Amiga 1200 running Linux once and was very impressed. I once read a benchmark that said it performs well under load and that would explain it. I find it also excels at small files, especially when compared to something like XFS. I was previously doing some development on GCC and I consisently found that it took XFS at least twice, maybe even three times, as long as JFS to unpack the sources.

I know that Puppy doesn't support JFS by default but I wanted to try it on my Toshiba Libretto 70CT so I built myself a custom kernel with JFS support and also built these utilities, which I have packaged into a DotPet for you.

The only problem I have with JFS is it is quite prone to mount failures if you don't fsck it first. Distros are supposed to do this anyway, according to the rules in /etc/fstab, but Puppy doesn't. Hence after every reboot, Puppy fails to remount it and dies horribly. I have worked around this by sticking "fsck.jfs -a /dev/hda6" just before the remount command. This should really be fixed properly though. Other than that, it works great.

hayagix

#2 Post by hayagix »

Its funny that Jfs has not caught on more. Any tests I've seen, shows it as having good overall performance. I've used it and found it very resilient to hard shutdowns where ext3 would fail. Thanks for this .pet.

gyro

#3 Post by gyro »

Chewi,

What's the latest version of Puppy on which you have jfs working?

I would like to run Puppy 4.1.2 on a machine, currently running Fedora 9, which contains a 250GB drive formatted with jfs with heaps of data on it.

I currently have a frugal install of Puppy 4.1.0 on it. After I installed your jfsutils, I was able to successfully fsck my jfs partition. But a following manual mount, resulted in an 'unknown filesystem type jfs' message. When I looked in '/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/fs/' there is not even a 'jfs' directory, let alone a 'jfs.ko'. (The same is true of a frugal install of standard Puppy 4.1.2)

How may I obtain a jfs kernel module for Puppy?

gyro

Chewi

#4 Post by Chewi »

The utilities do not require the filesystem driver so that's why they worked but the mount didn't. I was using Puppy 4.0. I plan to upgrade in a month or so when I have time but I would not be using a module anyway since I have a full install with JFS as my root filesystem. So go build you own kernel. ;) It's not that hard and there are Puppy-specific instructions around on how to do it.
Running Puppy 4.00 on a [i]Toshiba Libretto 70CT[/i]. That's a [b]Pentium 120MMX[/b], [b]32MB RAM[/b] machine the size of a [b]VHS cassette[/b]! It works like a charm. I even have [b]wireless[/b] (WPA) and [b]Bluetooth[/b]. :D

gyro

#5 Post by gyro »

Chewi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Chewi wrote:So go build you own kernel. ;) It's not that hard and there are Puppy-specific instructions around on how to do it.
I was afraid you would suggest that. I'll have a look at it.

My system is on ordinary old ext3. I mount my jfs partition as '/home'. So I think a kernel module should work for me.

gyro

gyro

#6 Post by gyro »

I finally had a look at the source code for Puppy 4.1.2. I didn't have to rebuild the whole kernel, just the jfs module.
After installing it, I can now mount and read my jfs partition.
(Haven't done more extensive testing yet.)

So any Puppy users who would like to use a jfs partition. I have a jfs.ko file for Puppy 4.1.2, that seems to work.

Note: I do not boot off the jfs partition.

gyro

Chewi

#7 Post by Chewi »

Well done. Meanwhile, I still haven't upgraded Puppy yet. Haha.
Running Puppy 4.00 on a [i]Toshiba Libretto 70CT[/i]. That's a [b]Pentium 120MMX[/b], [b]32MB RAM[/b] machine the size of a [b]VHS cassette[/b]! It works like a charm. I even have [b]wireless[/b] (WPA) and [b]Bluetooth[/b]. :D

DMcCunney

#8 Post by DMcCunney »

Chewi wrote:Running Puppy 4.00 on a Toshiba Libretto 70CT. That's a Pentium 120MMX, 32MB RAM machine the size of a VHS cassette! It works like a charm. I even have wireless (WPA) and Bluetooth. Very Happy
Wow. I think that's the lowest end hardware I've seen confirmed working with Puppy.

How big is your swap file? What sort of applications do you run?
______
Dennis

Chewi

#9 Post by Chewi »

I haven't booted it up in a while. I only use it when I go away, though I am going away again soon so I'm thinking of doing that upgrade. I can't remember how big the swap is but I run apps like Skipstone, Geany, Pidgin, and Claws Mail. I also use it for a lot of command-line stuff. Sure, it's a bit clunky but still quite usable.

Just for fun, I tried a few games too. DOSEMU works pretty well. Duke Nukem 3D runs well. OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon) is perfect. They both have FM MIDI music too! I really wanted to get The Settlers 2 to work but it has trouble setting the video mode. It only works in DOSEMU under X but that's a bit slow. I can't even make it work in real DOS.

jakfish

#10 Post by jakfish »

A little off-topic, but I have a 70CT as well. What wireless card and bluetooth dongle are you using? I use a Lucent-Orinico 16-bit Gold card, which works great in Win95, but I'm amazed that you have BT working.

Jake

Chewi

#11 Post by Chewi »

I have the Cisco Aironet 350. I'm not sure if WPA support has been officially added to Linux yet but it does exist and works for me. Remember that it's only WPA1 though. I think the only other 16-bit card that supports WPA is some Netgear model.

I think there may actually be a few Bluetooth cards that work because a lot of them just behave like serial ports. The one I have is the 3Com 3CRWB6096B. I think there are different versions of this card but they should all work.

jakfish

#12 Post by jakfish »

So this is the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3CRWB6096B-3COM-WIR ... 7C294%3A50

So you must have to hot swap your wifi card for the BT and vice versa. Again, that's amazing that it works so well.

Thanks,
Jake

Chewi

#13 Post by Chewi »

That's the one. Version 3.0 is the same as mine.

I take it you don't have the port replicator? That gives you an extra slot, amongst other things. I don't know if it came as standard because I got the stuff second hand.

What I really want to do is connect to the net via Bluetooth rather than wireless and that way I wouldn't need the bulky port replicator. I could connect through my desktop when at home and through my 3G phone when away. I am at a total loss as to how to do this with Bluez 3 or 4 though. The command line utilities from Bluez 2 have gone. I've only managed to connect to a GPRS phone using pppd before but that's quite different. On my desktop, I use a GUI applet called Blueman and I see that has some networking stuff in it but I can't run Blueman on Puppy. I may have to dig into the source to see what it does.

jakfish

#14 Post by jakfish »

I have the smaller port replicator (with the serial/mouse ports). I agree: the bigger one (the little one too for that matter) ruin the form factor of the Libretto.

I only have GPRS BT, so would have to go back and forth b/w wireless and BT.

But congrats on making your machine so cutting edge.

Jake

P.S. It still impresses me that the Libby can work so hard without a fan.

Aitch

#15 Post by Aitch »

chewi/jakfish

Hi guys, doesn't the Libretto have a type11 pcmcia port?

You could get a pcmcia to 2xusb2+2x4/6pin-firewire adapter to expand usability without need for the replicator, I believe

this may enable you to get irda going, too

http://www.ottaky.com/lib70ct.php

congrats again chewi, as I said before; beats my IBM 560 -P2/225mhz/64mb/4Gb-hdd,.... however, pcmcia only; no floppy or CD
this also can use the above recommended adapter, & I'm in Germany at the moment & have borrowed an Icon225 HSDPA modem, which works, even though the service here is abysmal......not much faster than dialup
btw, still using & enjoying Puppy 2.14R!!

Aitch :)

Chewi

#16 Post by Chewi »

Can't use a PCMCIA card like that, I'm afraid. It only takes 16-bit cards and there aren't any 16-bit USB (most likely the same for FireWire) cards in existence. Believe me, I searched for hours! I was desperately searching for a way to hook up an external mouse without the replicator and even tried to find an IrDA mouse to no avail. I didn't even consider Bluetooth at first because I thought there was no way there could be 16-bit cards for that. How wrong was I? :lol:

It's funny what I've managed to do with DOS. I've had the Bluetooth mouse working in that via DOSEMU but without X. I've even connected to the net through my wired Netgear card in real DOS with no emulation! Web browser, IRC and even SSH. FreeDOS is pretty funky. :D That Cisco wireless card I have even has a DOS driver (supports WEP) but I haven't bothered trying that. There are limits to my madness.

jakfish

#17 Post by jakfish »

This is fun. When I need a change of pace, a different screen-look, I boot my $50 Thinkpad 570 into DOS 6.22, set up a RAM disk holding Arachne browser and NewDeal Office Suite (the best Office software for DOS, IMHO), and Pine 3.96 (for AOL mail) and surf with my Orinoco card.

Yeah, 640K will really slow down the rendering, but I'm a news junkie, and going to text-only sites (m.cnn.com) is pretty much instant-on in a RAM disk.

Couldn't get the same DOS set-up working in the Libby for reasons unknown.

Aitch, when not in Puppy, how retro have you set up your 560?

Jake

Chewi

#18 Post by Chewi »

Yeah, Arachne was the browser. :D FreeDOS works okay on the Libby though I did a fair bit of tweaking to the startup files. Can't remember if any of that tweaking was actually required to make it work.

All this is making me sound like a DOS junkie but my heart really lies in AmigaOS. *pats his Amiga 1200 with 128MB RAM* That's another story though. ;)

Aitch

#19 Post by Aitch »

jakfish

It's been awhile, but I too, used to dosbrowse bbses etc, possibly arachne, or lynx or some variant, can't honestly remember - I had a russian one that was quite good at graphics....
[hah, chewi, I had a cp/m trs80]

Had usb working OK, with an external harddrive & an external CD writer [only 2x, but worked OK] played with microdrives for extra ram effect, but once had hyperdisk working, a dos based ram utility which was quite fast

I used to trawl shell extension city for dos apps/tips though I eventually got a fairly solid W98SE+ME bits working quite well, and easy to repair; before discovering puppy, I'd tried allsorts of 'nixes from floppy up

Nowadays, I've gotten lazy, & too many failed ideas, I guess
Computers still aren't assembled right IMHO
All that processor power, & harddrive space not being used.....gggrr! :lol:

Never did get my clustered scsi boxes working, but I may get back to it....

Was there a reason you asked?

Aitch :)

jakfish

#20 Post by jakfish »

No, I just wanted to know, since we all seemed to be on the same page. I have only seen pictures of the Trash 80, never one in the flesh. I'll still telnet/lynx even in Puppy 4.1.2 when I get too impatient w/ the bloat of graphics on the Internet.

Never heard of hyperdisk--I'm inspired to search it out :) And I never could find a true screen blanker for DOS, just screen savers that were dark. It drove me crazy since I was using DOS to save battery to begin with.

The Thinkpad 570 has that built-in F3 screen blanker that truly does shut down the screen in DOS.

Jake