aspire one remaster

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
dinky

#21 Post by dinky »

Hi matey, looks great. Can I ask what you did to create this, an how it's different from the Asus eeepc's? Is there much difference? Looks like you're using Cairo-dock from the screenshot... are you using false transparency or compositing? Cheers.

~dinky

tempestuous

#22 Post by tempestuous »

elling wrote:Could those 2 downlodable scripts be used for Puppy?
Yes. That's why I mentioned it.
elling wrote:Maybe because of I didnt had Perl installed
tempestuous wrote:You would need to install perl...

iscraigh

#23 Post by iscraigh »

I am using openbox and cairo-dock fake transparency. I tried ripple but X would not start. Based it on mu,s .27 kernel remaster, sound works wireless works wireless switch works, mic works, both sd slots work if inserted @ boot.

Help I need

a script that I can assign to the switch monitor function key to switch to an external monitor. I am having some succes with xrandr and once I work out the command I will ask for advice.

Just working on the rest of the function keys the kernel recognizes all of them so I just have to assign them commands.

If any one has hibernate working let me know how and I will include it.

Shutdown on power button any one got that working.

I have assigned a button on cairo dock to bring up the openbox menu
assigned a button on cairo dock to bring up Prit's plogout
I use the systray from cairo dock not sure how to get a battery monitor on to it......anyone. using pwidgets destop battery app for now.

I am @ the point where I may be in over my head on a few things. If someone has hibernate working on the acer using puppy make it easy for me to include and I will. I have to release before xmas as these are gifts and I only get a couple of hours a week to work on them, time is quickly running out.

JB4x4

#24 Post by JB4x4 »

This should work to power down Puppy using the power button:

acpid-1.0.8-i486.pet

Add these two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

modprobe button
acpid

The proper scripts are included in the pet file. Look in /etc/acpi after installing to get a better idea.

This may come in handy for controlling other features, ie. closing the cover, etc.

JB
Attachments
acpid-1.0.8-i486.pet
(14.29 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

JB4x4

#25 Post by JB4x4 »

This will suspend when closing the lid:

Download the follow pet:

acpitool-0.5.pet

place the following two files in the proper directories

/etc/acpi/suspend.sh
/etc/acpi/events/suspend

If acpid is already running and you want to test kill it (killall acpid) and restart (acpid).

Close the lid, in a few seconds, you should have a flashing power light. Tap it once to bring up your desktop. Things to be looked at.... Wifi / LAN connection (mine stayed connected after brief testing) and maybe sound.

Enjoy,
JB
Attachments
suspend-scripts.tar.gz
(254 Bytes) Downloaded 838 times
acpitool-0.5.pet
(25.97 KiB) Downloaded 761 times

iscraigh

#26 Post by iscraigh »

Thanks I will try as soon as I get a chance to work on it again.

Craig

dinky

#27 Post by dinky »

iscraigh wrote:I am using openbox and cairo-dock fake transparency. I tried ripple but X would not start. Based it on mu,s .27 kernel remaster, sound works wireless works wireless switch works, mic works, both sd slots work if inserted @ boot.

Help I need

a script that I can assign to the switch monitor function key to switch to an external monitor. I am having some succes with xrandr and once I work out the command I will ask for advice.

Just working on the rest of the function keys the kernel recognizes all of them so I just have to assign them commands.

If any one has hibernate working let me know how and I will include it.

Shutdown on power button any one got that working.

I have assigned a button on cairo dock to bring up the openbox menu
assigned a button on cairo dock to bring up Prit's plogout
I use the systray from cairo dock not sure how to get a battery monitor on to it......anyone. using pwidgets destop battery app for now.

I am @ the point where I may be in over my head on a few things. If someone has hibernate working on the acer using puppy make it easy for me to include and I will. I have to release before xmas as these are gifts and I only get a couple of hours a week to work on them, time is quickly running out.
Hi matey, sounds great. For Ripple, you need to choose the x24 resolution in xorgwizard to start X, otherwise it will crash. Would love you to be able to try it again on your laptop, would be great to add support in Ripple for that.

I'd be really happy to see how we could work together in our seperate projects, I too am very short for time. Fortunately Ripple is more of a long term goal. If the aspire one supports compiz-fusion (which is very likely), I'm happy to help you get that running with your remaster. You'd likely have to use another windows manager for it, or do what I'm doing in Ripple, use compiz-fusion itself as the windows manager. One of my goals for Ripple is to support as wide a range of hardware as possible, and I'd love all the baby laptops to be included. For Ripple to work properly though, they need to support compiz-fusion. For the battery monitor, I use the asapm_shell script, then hide it on the widget layer. Cairo-dock supports a hidden widget layer with fake transparency, though as I use compiz I haven't tried it. No luck on a stable suspend script, though there were some interesting posts in tempestuos's 'extras' thread. I've earmarked this for a future project, but not ready for it yet.

Have you looked at Pebble? It's a bootsplash program by pizzasgood that adds a beautiful touch to the start of Puppy. Not sure why it's not in the official release yet. Perhaps Puppy is too focused on being 'utilitarian'. Anyway, if you take a look at eeetiger, or TigerPup (eeetiger should work on the acer, just to try the bootsplash), you'll see what I mean. Cheers matey,

~dinky

boscobearbank

#28 Post by boscobearbank »

iscraigh wrote:Both sd card readers work if the card is in @ boot.
Had this problem with Fedora, but there's a way to get the sd card slots working even if there's no card in the slot at boot. Not on my AA1 right now, but I believe the solution was to make sure mmc_core, mmc_block, sdhci, pciehp, and (I think) sdhci_pci get loaded at boot and pciehp_force=1 is fed to the kernel.

Looking forward to adding a (reasonably fully) working Puppy to my AA1!
Bosco Bearbank

dinky

#29 Post by dinky »

Compiz-fusion works on the Aspire One, and apparently is included, or at least able to be enabled, on the default Linpus system. This means that Ripple should work, and that all the effects from the Ripple pupplet are possible. One possibility is you could look at having compiz-fusion as an option which could be turned on, and use compiz-fusion as the windows manager in place of open box, or choose to use open box without compiz-fusion. Happy to help if you'd like to get this going. Cheers.

~dinky

iscraigh

#30 Post by iscraigh »

It would be great to have compiz working, I will pm you for some help next week. Perhaps incorporating the aspire fixes and the no compiz option into ripple would be an idea.

Bob: I have seen the solutions with the pciehp but that module is not included in puppy and as I am basing it on the .27 kernel I would need to get it compiled for me.

Craig

dinky

#31 Post by dinky »

Hi Craig, sounds great. should just be a simple matter of adding the right packages for compiz, then editing /root/.xinitrc and the cfwizard script. We'll look at it next week Currently I'm using JWM as an alternative manager if compiz can't work, though it's far from perfect. Openbox might be a better solution. I'll have a look at your puplet, should work on the eeepc. Cheers.
~dinky

hagisbasheruk

Thanks for this Puppy Linux Remaster for Acer Aspire One

#32 Post by hagisbasheruk »

I would just like to thank you for this remix.
I look forward to version 3 with all the fixes and that nice desktop you posted and that nice OSX looking taskbar.
How about a Acer Aspire One Dev Remix, now that would rock !!
Anyway feel free to give me a shout on IRC , irc.freenode.net on the following channels #puppylinux #jlime #kukilinux 6pm GMT onwards

iscraigh

#33 Post by iscraigh »

Ok here is he latest remaster! Based on MU's .27 kernel remaster.
Openbox Cairo-Dock and other stuff.

Function keys work with osd

thanks to JB4x4 shutdown on powerbutton, suspend on lid close

menu buton on cairo dock and other tweaks.

I am still unable to use xrandr to switch monitor output and use a different resolution. If anyone gets this working please let me know how.

ftp://puppy:puppylinux@ftp.servage.net/ ... 410-27.iso

Craig

elling

#34 Post by elling »

Good work!!
I installed this om my AA1,and it looks really good :P

Still no wireless,but I think I do something wrong when i try to connect :?

Different from the original Puppy...but its always funny to test something new.

iscraigh

#35 Post by iscraigh »

wireless definitely works out of the box, wep as well. Do not install any of the atheros wireless pets.

Run the connect wizard icon on the desktop/choose the wireless connection/scan/select use this profile/add your wep settings/choose ok/choose use dhcp, when it gets an ip select done and yes to saving settings.

Craig

tofi

No WEP

#36 Post by tofi »

Thanks - it sure looks very good.
But I'm sorry WEP still doesnt work for me,
neither with the wizard nor manually in a terminal
wlan0 eth1 key open 1234
gives the output "invalid argument 1234"
If I do anything wrong, is it possible to provide a screen shot of how the wlan configuration is done?

nitrobanshee

#37 Post by nitrobanshee »

My wireless also does not work. I know how to set it up but it does not see any connection, there is one there because I am typing this on my other wireless computer running puppy. I dont have wep turned on so hat is not it, I wonder if there is a older and newer hardware acer aspire ones. I just got mine one week ago. The acer puppy be for this one connected to the internet fine. I noticed that the boot up screen says disableing IRQ 11 as it does with the stock puppy 4.1.1 and up, but it did not see this with the first acer puppy.

Thanks for the hard work you have put in to this it is comming along very quickly.

Jeremy

iscraigh

#38 Post by iscraigh »

Hmm

I will try the remaster on my other virgin aspire one and verify wireless.
Does anyone have wireless working or is it just me?
Have you tried moving the wireless on off switch (just once) leave it 30 seconds then try, if it still fails reboot and try to scan again.
Lets put the no wireless in 4 categories

1: scan sees no access points
2: sees access points will not connect
3: connects gets no ip address after using dhcp
4: won't connect using wep

WPA may or may not work have not tested at all.

Of note I have removed nothing so this will run on any pc puppy runs on, also if you prefer JWM it is still there.

Craig

iscraigh

#39 Post by iscraigh »

Sorry I temporarily pulled the link I messed up the remaster and I noticed too many of my customizations are missing, what can I say poor quality control.

I will fix it up shortly, if you have downloaded it please re download when I re announce I promise it will be a little better.

Craig

iscraigh

#40 Post by iscraigh »

I have figured out why wireless works for me and not some of you. When I test I just copy over the sfs file, the vmlinuz and the initrd files to my usb stick and test. I forgot about a small modification I made to my syslinux.conf/extlinux.conf/grub.conf file. In the boot line add "pci=noacpi"
(No quotes)
I will remaster again adding this as well as getting everything else I see working.

Craig