Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel

For drivers and kernel modules.
tempestuous

#61 Post by tempestuous »

venger wrote:In my quest for full functionality on my 901, i am still trying to get these working:
(1) backlight defaults to max brightness
Apparently the "xbacklight" utility from http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/app/
provides backlight control. Do this -

Code: Select all

xbacklight  -set x
where x is the percentage value that you want the backlight set to.
Attachments
xbacklight-1.1.pet
(9.39 KiB) Downloaded 3051 times

jakfish

#62 Post by jakfish »

>> BTW, have you been able to setup laptop scripts? eg, shutdown on closing lid or lower power or idle for more than 30 mins... <<

Venger, I have not played with shutdown upon lid-closing, or defaulting to lower CPU speed after a given time (the latter sounds especially intriguing) and as you say, I haven't found any threads in murga-linux that explore such things.

Tempestuous: many thanks for the backlight pet. I just downloaded it, will install and report back.

Jake

jakfish

#63 Post by jakfish »

I've just installed and played with the backlight pet. It works like a charm (no need to reboot, so you can experiment w/o changing your puppy_save file).

It installs w/o problem, and it simply sets a maximum brightness of your choosing, thus stopping the return of the usual 100% brightness after screen blank.

You can continue to manually adjust DOWN the brightness but can not go past the maximum brightness set by "xbacklight -set x" So if you set it at 50% brightness (eg "xbacklight -set 50"), that's your max until reboot or a change of command (reboot returns screen to 100% brightness).

I have not yet put the command "xbacklight -set x" in boot, since I'm not yet certain what level of default brightness is optimum. I'm guessing at 50%

Tempestuous/Dougal: you two have outdone yourselves. The eee pets available here, coupled with the magnificient 4.1.1, have perfected the eee/puppy relationship. With sound, true fn keys, fan control, and now brightness commands, I can not think of any eee area still wanting.

If only there were a pet to stop the battery-drain-while-off :)

Very grateful, I am,
Jake

tempestuous

#64 Post by tempestuous »

jakfish wrote:You can continue to manually adjust DOWN the brightness but can not go past the maximum brightness set by "xbacklight -set x"
Maybe backlight is best adjusted using "dec" (decrease) and "inc" (increase). For example to increase the backlight by 10% try this

xbacklight -inc 10

venger

#65 Post by venger »

@jake,tempestuos..
awesome! thanks for the tip on backlight.. ehehe.. yes, this threaad is starting to collect all the goodies for a netbook/puppy match :D

BTW, i found an old "wake and resume" thread. In there, there's a suspend script that works on the 901!.. tho, like in ubuntu, the suspend feature only works 50% of the time.. so a bit dicey..
And on resume, the fn keys stop working.. anyway, if i figure out how to fix the script, will post it here.

ciao..

magerlab

#66 Post by magerlab »

i used simple acpitool -s option to suspend eee but Fn keys do not work

acpitool also can be used to show cpu temp and freq

see this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =304042631

venger

#67 Post by venger »

@magerlab, thanks for the tip!.. i tried it.. works well.. not sure yet which is better, the script or this little utility.. i am going to stick with acpitool for the moment...

oh, found another way to manually set screen brightness :D
so all up, there's 3 ways to do it on the eeepc 901:
(1) xbacklight utility packaged up by tempestuos on this thread
(2) acpitool utility link by magerlab above
(3) echo x > /proc/acpi/asus/brn x can be value from 0 to 15.. for 901, i find that value is 2 for low (1 is too dim for me), 3 for medium and 5 for really bright screen :)

so hope at least 1 of above will work on each of these eeepc models...

tempestuous

#68 Post by tempestuous »

venger wrote:echo x > /proc/acpi/asus/brn x
Yes, that's a good idea ... but be aware that it would require the "asus_acpi" module to be loaded.
Puppy already contains a standard version of the asus_acpi module.
A version of asus_acpi modified for the ASUS Eee is available earlier in this thread.

tempestuous

#69 Post by tempestuous »

For Acer notebooks:
ACPI control of various functions such as wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off, 3G on/off, Mail LED, and LCD backlight brightness is enabled by the "acer-wmi" module, which Puppy 4.1.x already contains.
acer-wmi is a modern update of the earlier "acer_acpi" and "acerhk" modules.

On compatible Acer notebooks the acer-wmi module should automatically load at bootup. Run "lsmod" to check.
If it's not listed, load the module manually -

modprobe acer-wmi
Now check the documentation to see what controls are possible
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... er-wmi.txt
For example, to enable the wifi device -

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/acer-wmi/wireless
Now (of course) the wifi driver must be loaded and configured.

dinky

#70 Post by dinky »

Venger, can you please post that other thread you found with the suspend script? Would love to look at it and see if there's anything I can do to help get it working on the eeepc. Also, have you tried Ripple? It's a pupplet I'm working on that utilizes graphics hardware acceleration by default on the eeepc's... compiz-fusion is configured by default, uses emerald for windows decoration, and cairo-dock for an interactive dockbar. I'd be really interested in your feedback on the Ripple thread. Cheers!

Ripple: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35554

~dinky

venger

#71 Post by venger »

@dinky, here's the link to the thread with the suspend script

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 31&t=14467

i had a go at ripple beta 5.. but it couldn't load up xwin :(
all the modules were loaded.. but seemed to crash when start x... no error messages tho..

i'll give the next release a go.. :D

tempestuous

#72 Post by tempestuous »

Logitech Quickcam cameras:
Puppy 4.1.x contains the standard "quickcam_messenger" driver, but this supports only a limited range of webcams.
Barry added the "qcmessenger" driver, plus the generic "gspca" driver.
But unfortunately there are still 3 older models of Quickcam not supported by any of these drivers; device id's
046d 0840
046d 0850
046d 0870
These models are supported by the qc-usb driver from http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
The name of the module is "quickcam". With a certain amount of patching, this driver will compile under the 2.6.25.16 kernel, now attached.
After installing this dotpet, reboot.
There's a good chance that Puppy will automatically detect the webcam and load this module. Check with lsmod.
If not, load the module manually

modprobe quickcam
Puppy should also automatically create the necessary V4L device nodes, but if your application gives an error message something like "/dev/video does not exist" then run the script contained in this dotpet which will create the nodes -

MAKEDEV-V4L.sh
Attachments
qc-usb-0.6.6-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(44.97 KiB) Downloaded 2740 times

dinky

#73 Post by dinky »

venger wrote:@dinky, here's the link to the thread with the suspend script

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 31&t=14467

i had a go at ripple beta 5.. but it couldn't load up xwin :(
all the modules were loaded.. but seemed to crash when start x... no error messages tho..

i'll give the next release a go.. :D
Thanks venger, I'll check that out. SImple fix for Ripple, choose x24 for the xorgwizard, not x16.... ie, (for eeepc701) 800x480x24, NOT 800x480x16. We're up to Ripple 06-2 now for the stable releases. Have a go, you'll like it. Cheers.
~dinky

tempestuous

#74 Post by tempestuous »

Broadcom wifi devices.
Puppy 4.1.x contains the new b43 and b43legacy opensource wifi drivers, plus the older bcm43xx driver.
But some Broadcom wifi devices, especially those found in Dell and HP notebooks, are notorious for failing to work with these drivers.
For these troublesome devices the proprietary Broadcom hybrid driver will likely work better. Now attached.
This dotpet package contains a suitably modified PREFLIST so that the new driver will be used in preference to the other versions.
Also the networkmodules and wag-profiles.sh config files have been modified to accommodate the new driver.
After installing this dotpet, reboot. Puppy should automatically load the new driver, which is called "wl". Check with lsmod. If necessary you can load the wl module from the Network Wizard.

Feb 11 2009:
Driver updated to version 5.10.27.14

The source code is from here
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
Last edited by tempestuous on Wed 11 Feb 2009, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#75 Post by tempestuous »

Realtek RTL8187B USB wifi devices.
The "B" version of the RTL8187 wifi chipset is not supported by Puppy's "rtl8187" driver.
Here is the proprietary version of the wifi driver, modified by Johnny Cuervo at
http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/rtl8187b/FAQ.html

UPDATE Feb 8 2009:
This driver originally supported 5 models of wifi device. Source code modified as per this list
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RTL8180.html
to support an additional 8 models. Dotpet updated.

After installing this dotpet, reboot.
The new driver is called "r8187" (not rtl8187). Puppy should automatically load this module at bootup, but if not, you can load it from the Network Wizard.

UPDATE Dec 10 2009:
Why did it take 1 year and 600 downloads before someone mentioned unsuccessful WPA connection with this driver?
Groan.
The fix is now attached as a dotpet. The r8187 driver reports itself to the Network Wizard as "rtl8187" even though that's not its actual name. I have modified the Network Wizard so that the correct "ipw" driver parameter is used with wpa_supplicant (instead of the "wext parameter) when associating with this driver. Obviously this will mess up WPA configuration for the standard rtl8187 driver, so don't install this fix unless the new driver is definitely compatible with your wifi device.
Attachments
r8187-WPA-NetWiz-fix.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(19.47 KiB) Downloaded 1426 times
r8187-B-FEB09-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(73.25 KiB) Downloaded 2100 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 07:11, edited 3 times in total.

venger

#76 Post by venger »

@tempestuos, do you know if the eeepc pets enable the 4 silver hotkeys of the 901 and 1000 models? just wondering if there's a way to map those keys.
also to other 901/1000 owners, appreciate if you share your methods if you've managed to get those 4 silver hotkeys working.

ta,

Dougal

#77 Post by Dougal »

venger wrote:@tempestuos, do you know if the eeepc pets enable the 4 silver hotkeys of the 901 and 1000 models? just wondering if there's a way to map those keys.
also to other 901/1000 owners, appreciate if you share your methods if you've managed to get those 4 silver hotkeys working.

ta,
I think this patchset might be for those, in case tempestuous wants to try and patch the sources he's using...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

tempestuous

#78 Post by tempestuous »

venger wrote:@tempestuos, do you know if the eeepc pets enable the 4 silver hotkeys of the 901 and 1000 models? just wondering if there's a way to map those keys.
It's quite easy to map those keys (or any keys). Go here -
http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux ... pi-eee901/
and look at eee-handler.sh. This is the Arch Linux equivalent of /etc/acpi/hotkey.sh which is provided in my dotpets.
You can paste parts of the ArchLinux file into mine, and set it up any way you like.
The four silver keys are defined as:
0000001a)
0000001b)
0000001c)
0000001d)

ArchLinux uses the first silver key to toggle the LCD screen off/on, and the second silver key to toggle the resolution of the LCD screen and external VGA port.

From the ArchLinux files you would need to copy over -
buttonblank.sh (and make executable)
buttonres.sh (and make executable)
eee.conf
user

into /etc/acpi

tempestuous

#79 Post by tempestuous »

Wireless modems (GPRS/EDGE and UMTS/HSDPA) - USB
Early USB HSDPA modems are supported by the standard "usbserial" module in Puppy. General information here -
http://www.pharscape.org/usbserial.html
There's a good connection HOWTO by forum member wescht here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12603

The next generation USB devices are supported by the "option" module.
UPDATE April 1 2009
"option" module patched with device ID's from those defined in kernel 2.6.29. Broad support includes models by Huawei, Novatel, Amoi, Anydata, Bandrich, BenQ, Dell, Kyocera, Maxon, Onda, Qualcomm, Telit, ZTE.

More recent USB wireless modems often require the "hso" module, now attached.
Information here -
http://www.pharscape.org/hso.html
This is a somewhat complex module, which requires a special utility called "ozerocdoff" to enumerate the modem, and this process is triggered by a udev event.
All of the necessary components are contained in the dotpet package; module, utlitity, and udev rule.
Hopefully this will work in Puppy 4.1.x

Connection is a little complex. The "Internet by wireless GPRS modem ..." option in the Connection wizard might work, but if not, there is a sample connection script at /usr/local/bin/hso_connect.sh
There is also a comprehensive README at /root/my-applications/hso-README.txt

UPDATE: Several USB wireless modems (such as the Globetrotter GT Max) have their MS Windows drivers onboard; when plugged in for the first time they act like a flash storage and start installing the driver from there. After that (and on every consecutive plugging) this driver switches the mode internally, the storage device vanishes (in most cases), and a new device (USB modem) shows up.
In Linux the solution is to use the "usb_modeswitch" utility to switch the device to its wireless modem mode, then the "option" module can be loaded. The whole process is automated by the configuration file; /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
Open this file in Geany, and remove the ";" characters from the configuration values for your particular model of Globetrotter device.

UPDATE April 8 2009:
"usb-storage" driver patched so that the ZTE/Onda modem devices will be automatically detected, and when used in combination with the updated "option" driver and also rerwin's "3G_pupdial-wireless" dotpet -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37828
the modeswitching should happen automatically, and all drivers should load automatically.
Attachments
usb-storage-ZTE-patch-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(43.08 KiB) Downloaded 2106 times
option-patched-01April09-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(7.21 KiB) Downloaded 2010 times
usb_modeswitch-0.9.5.pet
(10.83 KiB) Downloaded 2019 times
hso-1.6-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(31.81 KiB) Downloaded 1809 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Wed 08 Apr 2009, 05:45, edited 4 times in total.

tempestuous

#80 Post by tempestuous »

Wireless modems - PCMCIA/Cardbus
The very first Cardbus devices such as the original Globetrotter appear as a serial interface, and are supported by the standard "serial_cs" module in Puppy.

The next generation Cardbus devices such as the Vodafone 3G appear as a USB interface, and are supported by the "usbserial" module, but will work better with the more modern "option" module.
http://www.pharscape.org/datacards-option.ko.html

The next generation of Cardbus devices requires the "nozomi" module, which is a standard kernel module but it was not enabled in Puppy's kernel configuration. So it's now available as a separate dotpet, attached.
Supported devices are listed here
http://www.pharscape.org/nozomi-datacards.html

And the latest Cardbus devices are supported by the "hso" module, dotpet available in the previous post.
Attachments
nozomi-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 1283 times