Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 00:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
HP PSC 1209 usb need help (not solved after all)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
maryhalloran

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2008, 10:16    Post_subject:  HP PSC 1209 usb need help (not solved after all)  

EDIT: hplip did at least let me print a test page, but today I reinstalled the printer,a nd i can print a test page both from the HP tools and from CUPS, but I can't print out of abiword or gnumeric, nor do I see a way to print a pdf -- the 1209 isn't a choice in the program's print area

I'm pretty clear that it uses the hpijs driver, and i know it isn't totally supported, but I was hoping to be able to use it at least marginally..but I am having no luck getting this to print a test page.

I installed hpijs pet last night, this one

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/pet_packages-3/hpijs-1.7.pet

and when I came in today I tried to set up CUPS again. now that I know the super secret 'root' password, I was able to get thru the first part fairly easily, I selected "HP PSC 1200 foomatic hpijs (recommeded)"

on the printer management page it says this next to the printer name "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"

okay -- what am I doing wrong?

Complicating matters are that i can't directly connect the thinkpad to the net at work here, I have to "sneaker net" files over from my win2k work machine to the thinkpad, but the printer I am trying to set up is here.

Actually I have another question, I was tryingt o set up with the 1209 that I have access to here at work, but actually the printer I am hoping to use this weekend is another 1209, owned by a friend. Once I get this one running, will I just be able to plug his in and have it work under the settings I established for this one? or will I have to install it over again because it is actually a different machine?

Edited_times_total
HairyWill

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2008, 10:43    Post_subject:  

the full hplip package is available here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25482
It is big about 45 MB I think, you will probably need 150-200MB free in your pupsave to do the install

It comes with a load of utilities to help set the printer up I think they all start with hp... Try opening a prompt and typing hp then hit TAB

Edited_time_total
john biles

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2008, 10:47    Post_subject:  

Hello maryhalloran,
TEENpup 2008 comes with a selection of HP printer drivers including HP PSC 1210. I have successfully printing with this Printer so if you have no luck with your current setup maybe try TEENpup.

maryhalloran

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2008, 10:56    Post_subject:  

HairyWill wrote:
the full hplip package is available here
It comes with a load of utilities to help set the printer up I think they all start with hp... Try opening a prompt and typing hp then hit TAB

do absolutely I need the full hplip package? is there something simple I can try before I spend all that space to dl and install hplip?
maryhalloran

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2008, 11:58    Post_subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello maryhalloran,
TEENpup 2008 comes with a selection of HP printer drivers including HP PSC 1210..

I wanted to try TEENpup2008 anyways! Smile
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2008, 19:44    Post_subject:  

Quote:
do absolutely I need the full hplip package?

These threads might be of use:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=623748784&t=23820
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=623748784&t=22474
Billwho?

Location: still "In The Dog House" East Coast Oz Trialing 4.20

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2008, 04:21    Post_subject:  

maryhalloran wrote:
do absolutely I need the full hplip package?

If you only want to be able to print, probably not (I have never used HPIJS only so don't take this as gospel). But since this is a PSC (print, scan, copy) unit, at some time in the future you will most likely want to get scanning working and for that you will need the HPLIP package.
Note there is a problem with 301 missing a file that stopped printing from working, so do a forum search for HPLIP as one of the threads has a fix for the problem that may also be useful with HPIJS.

Good Luck

HairyWill

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2008, 06:13    Post_subject:  

maryhalloran wrote:
is there something simple I can try before I spend all that space to dl and install hplip?

maryhalloran wrote:
I wanted to try TEENpup2008 anyways!

hplip = 45MB
teenpup = 500MB

OK I admit that TEENpup is a lot more fun than just getting a printer working.

lluamco

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar 2008, 06:51    Post_subject:  

Quote:
EDIT: hplip did at least let me print a test page, but today I reinstalled the printer,a nd i can print a test page both from the HP tools and from CUPS, but I can't print out of abiword or gnumeric, nor do I see a way to print a pdf -- the 1209 isn't a choice in the program's print area

A possible workaround is to make your printer as default, using the hp-toolbox tool and/or the cups admin tool. Then print in abiword/gnumeric using lpr
A second possibility, use the custom option in abiword to use lpr -P nameofyourprinter
Hope it helps
dinky

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec 2008, 05:57    Post_subject:  

Was this ever solved? Looking at setting up a PSC 1210 in Puppy on another computer. What's the verdict? It would aso be possible to make an sfs file out of this pet, and also perhaps use it outside the save file as a program folder. For the record I'm not overly excited about abiword for printing. Try openoffice3.
~dinky
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum