.ca is moving to Florida

News, happenings
dinky

#21 Post by dinky »

Great idea for a temporary solution. Can this page be created on the main puppy site?
~dinky

big_bass

#22 Post by big_bass »

Caneri

make this a sticky!!

now we need to act fast and save what we can

I was able to act quick and save my pets /iso-s

and I will help anyone on your site that cant download for what ever reasons

since you site is locked and only FTP is working

you could burn back up DVDS

if it is ok with you Caneri
anyone who cant down load and advises you place a copy of the folder in my section
I will back up to DVD what I can

maybe someone is MIA and you cant get contact with them ?

I can download using my password :wink:

P.S if you need one of my pets PM me I will upload to a temp site

big_bass
Last edited by big_bass on Tue 02 Dec 2008, 04:40, edited 4 times in total.

J-Bob

#23 Post by J-Bob »

dinky wrote:Great idea for a temporary solution. Can this page be created on the main puppy site?
~dinky
well, i don't know if the main puppy site could be used as a mirror. but i could set up a page in my bobpup site to help with this task.

or i could setup a biweekly blog containing new and popular mirror links, or possibly i could maintain a text file which would manage not only downloading packages, but also being able to work with a package manager.

the format for the distributed repository is basically this

{package name} {package description} (package category} {name of mirror} : package url

so it would look like this

{abiword} {word processing program from gnome office} {office} {j-bob} : http://jbob.surge.net/packages/office/abiword.pet

but this is just an example i came up with on the spot, as i don't actually host any packages yet, and i don't think they accept packages.

but i think that some other places do, you could even use those one click file hosts and use a link in the url component of the file

hope this will help people who might need it

- J-Bob

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

Many thanks to Eric for his efforts :)
Good will come of this

Backups and mirror servers for eg.
We have files scattered all over the place

Would the priorities be to know what we have?
Where it is and placing files in several accessible baskets?

Where can we store files once they are downloaded / recovered?
Who is willing to backup a Puppy server (maybe by dedicating a machine to this) etc

Pritish and HairyWill who are helping Eric may have some experience or knowledge of what to do?

Make sure you ask for what is needed.
Puppys are here to help.

What are the priorities?
Who has experience / knowledge of what to do?

From what i understand we have the files or can access them?
What places do Puppys have / suggest we use in future? :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#25 Post by Lobster »

Can this page be created on the main puppy site?

Yes indeed, anyone can create such a page and a link to it
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki

Click on add wiki entry
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

puppyluvr

#26 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Eric,

As many members are on Dial-up, I would like to offer storage as well....
I have 10gb free and 2 CD burners...
Name a Dir, pass the word, and Ill D/L it via FTP and store/burn backups...
...Jay...

technosaurus

#27 Post by technosaurus »

There is really no need to have all the .pets in one location. I have plans to add an install menu to the Web Desktop (thus I can provide a link to it at any location) ...since most pets are way less than 100MB they can be on free hosts and maintained individually by a (self-)designated package maintainer in sort of a distributed fashion. Its not quite apt-torrent, but it should lighten the load.

J-Bob

#28 Post by J-Bob »

Lobster wrote:Many thanks to Eric for his efforts :)
Good will come of this

Backups and mirror servers for eg.
We have files scattered all over the place

Would the priorities be to know what we have?
Where it is and placing files in several accessible baskets?

Where can we store files once they are downloaded / recovered?
Who is willing to backup a Puppy server (maybe by dedicating a machine to this) etc

Pritish and HairyWill who are helping Eric may have some experience or knowledge of what to do?

Make sure you ask for what is needed.
Puppys are here to help.

What are the priorities?
Who has experience / knowledge of what to do?

From what i understand we have the files or can access them?
What places do Puppys have / suggest we use in future? :)
i have a cd/dvd burner, and about 27GB of free space on my puppy partition. i could probably work to help do backups of some mirrors. and possibly zip them up and place them on a server for those needing it.

but my experience is limited. as i have been using linux for about a year. and i don't think currently being in non-post secondary school will help with the situation.

but if i need help with this i would be glad to ask, and i would be glad to offer help to those i can support.

- J-Bob

dinky

#29 Post by dinky »

Dito the above. I've got about 80 gig free on my home computer, and somewhere around 700 on my server. Happy to help be part of a backup solution for a temporary fix. Cheers.
~dinky

puppyluvr

#30 Post by puppyluvr »

Cursed be those. who attacked our repository
I`d like to give them. a cactus suppository
We thank Eric so much, for no one could replace
And regret all the hardship, it has caused him to face

We hear your frustration, but don`t take it to heart
Remember each ending, contains a new start
Your service to Puppy, does not go unadmired
Just because your "account has expired"

Your efforts, truely, have helped Puppy grow
Without them, progress would have surely been slow
If you uncover the culprits, who`ve attacked us this way
I`ve got plenty of cactus, just name the day.................

Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

Here here.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to create a package format that basically has torrenting built-in, so that if possible it automatically downloads via torrent, and then keeps the last several packages you install hanging around for seeding? It could be set up as opt-out so that people with slow connections can save bandwidth, but most people will automatically be helping. It would also need an opt-out for people who need to avoid most outgoing data from their computer, or who are on a network that doesn't allow p2p.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

that basically has torrenting built-in
Good idea

Agree with comments about not having one server
The more ways we have files
mirrors, sourceforge on DVD, dedicated home machine etc - the better
What is needed now is the files and access to them in several places

Also there are other depositories available
In order to not put a strain on individual resources we do need to think about torrents - allowing the community to share resources

Maybe we could work out what is available today and where
and build from there?

Has anyone time to start a wiki page?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

prit1

#33 Post by prit1 »

I don't have much of a clue about how torrenting works.

I have a high speed connection at my work place and will try to download as much critical packages as possible from .ca. This way, we will have a good backup.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

Pizzasgood wrote:Here here.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to create a package format that basically has torrenting built-in, so that if possible it automatically downloads via torrent, and then keeps the last several packages you install hanging around for seeding? It could be set up as opt-out so that people with slow connections can save bandwidth, but most people will automatically be helping. It would also need an opt-out for people who need to avoid most outgoing data from their computer, or who are on a network that doesn't allow p2p.
Let's call it Pupster! :twisted: (not joking !!!!!!!)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

J-Bob

#35 Post by J-Bob »

Pizzasgood wrote:Here here.

i like your thinking Pizzasgood. and i like the opt-out idea, since my network does not allow any use of p2p software.

that's partially why i came up with my idea, for those without the ability to torrent.

but if you did some work in a dotpup, you could build dotpups with such functionality. that's partially why i like the format, quite versatile, if you know what you are doing. but a pre-install script in a dotpet, with another program managing the torrenting, if the user opts to do so.

- J-Bob

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

Ok, now that I've read the whole thread I'm more enlightened.

Eric, I'm a concreter by trade, work for myself. Just worked a 12 hour day. This treatment by your provider is akin to my concrete suppliers and other suppliers completely cutting me off. It puts me out of business, therefore my clients/customers suffer. Quite rude, some notice should be legally required.

I know I can offer you little but my moral support. Hope that is something.

J-Bob

#37 Post by J-Bob »

dinky wrote:Dito the above. I've got about 80 gig free on my home computer, and somewhere around 700 on my server. Happy to help be part of a backup solution for a temporary fix. Cheers.
~dinky
that's good to know dinky. that 780GB of space should come in handy for backups.

@Pizzasgood

i also think i might know what could be done for a version of my format, but with torrenting added.

example below, such files likely do not exist

{abiword} {gnome office word processor} {office} {j-bob-server} : [direct:http://jbob.surge8.com/packages/office/abiword.pet] [torrent:http://jbob.surge8.com/torrents/office/ ... et.torrent]

that might not be bad to use, if we build a program to work with it.

@01micko

many of us are currently working to try and build a temporary fix, so you don't need to worry to much 01micko, and even if all you can offer is moral support, that's still support, and is still a good gesture

- J-Bob

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#38 Post by Billwho? »

ttuuxxx wrote:for a secure password on the top level maybe try something really lengthy with caps and lower case, plus numbers and symbols with a 30min time out after 5 attempts
lol hows this for one 2785sd382d5dsd38652386KHKHklhsodi767ydkhsdkys@#$%%##$kjhgkhdis8ud8666dkhdkwehkd676ikhwekw68686865GGJGFDHYYJKMKjutytt6752365653523
then what you do is just keep it locally on a encrypted hard drive and copy and paste it:) like who could remember a password like that ?
ttuuxxx
Good suggestion about the password ttuuxxx but why don't we tell the creeps what we think of them if they manage to break the password. How about this one. Note there are no letters I or O and I have broken the password in two to save some scrolling across the page.

MayTheP01S0nEDtH0rnS0f987654321M1llI0ngaZ1LL10nf1ReCActus1NTERnally1NFEstTheGEN1TAL
andrectalAreaoftHe*%^#@0LesWho<>*(^$)DuperICS0RiginAL.cASite4tHeReSt0fEteRn1ty!!!!!!
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

legendofthor

#39 Post by legendofthor »

Well puppy people I'm willing to put my money when my mouth is and I'll be happy to contribute a monthly subscription to a permanent puppy repository.

My budget's not great but if a few ppl could contribute - my limit's probably $50 per month....

I have a fairly up-to-date repository spread over many USB sticks - once I get this organised (this weekend) I could email requests....

I don't have the knowledge to set-up a webpage repository - but I want to help - and the puppy community has been a blessing.....
Cheers
Martin

01micko

#40 Post by 01micko »

I think we have enough of a userbase to experiment with peer to peer torrenting. I think it would be real inovation. Obviously, it would not replace repository files but could capably complement them.