.ca is moving to Florida

News, happenings
Caneri

.ca is moving to Florida

#1 Post by Caneri »

This message is for all ftp account holders on puppylinux.ca.

Please pass it on to other ftp users on .ca that may not see this post.

Please use your ftp account to backup ALL your files on .ca to be sure they are available to rebuild the repo in case my host boots me off Netfirms.

So far my host is not being helpful and I fear that my account may be shut down permanently. Thus to rebuild .ca with all current files a backup MUST be done ASAP.

The Florida servers were broken into and ALL files have been deleted for security reasons by admins.

puppylinux.ca files are still intact but a backup via each ftp user is needed to rebuild when I move or if I am shut down permanently.

Thanks all...and I'll keep at it to get a home for .ca....cripes

Eric

PS. When I said ALL files have been deleted on Florida I mean Apache,cpanel and all directories...thus there is nothing there but a finger print...grrr
Last edited by Caneri on Tue 02 Dec 2008, 13:07, edited 3 times in total.

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Eric,
I dont seem to be able to FTP my folder anymore, as it says my password is wrong???

Caneri

#3 Post by Caneri »

Puppylinux.ca is now officially shutdown by my host.

This applies to http so ftp will work until December 21 2008...I hope anyway.

It's a very sad day for me and I'm very sorry that I lost control.

I'll continue to work to provide files when I can get a host that will take me on...this is not easy with my history of abusers.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

I am forced to password protect puppylinux.ca.

user puppy
password linux

This still won't get files to open up for downloading but may get me some time to move.

Eric

EDIT: Please start to remove links to .ca when you find them. I would think that by the time I find a host all links ill also be dead...sorry all.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Dingo

#5 Post by Dingo »

horrible news, but, because I have some files I don't have uploaded on dokupuppy:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/doku.php

forum users (and all other puppians) can e-mail me at address:

dingodog@fastmail.fm

so, I I have files requested, I can put online for downloading. I don't have all files of .ca repository unfortunately
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

droope

#6 Post by droope »

There is no way puppy can live without .ca, almost every .pet is there.

¿Exactly how many files do you have hosted? We may find some host that'll allow us to transfer files from ftp to ftp...

Even if it is free, it'll do, at least not to lose all files.

Darn... I thought I had some hosting but my droopdesign.net is on a free host and has a 1mb upload limit..

@dingo: Can't .ca's files be moved to doku??

Perhaps http://www.esnips.com/ could be a temporary solution, i'm checking it out.

Esnips isn't a good call, at all.

But please, do check www.electronicfiles.net .

http://www.electronicfiles.net/help.php ... tch_upload

Doesn't seem that bad ;(

Droope the spammer lol :P

Caneri

#7 Post by Caneri »

Big Thanks Dingo.

@droope,

I don't seem to have a choice...it seems some people from a country wants me gone and they seem to have succeeded..rats!!..for now.

There are thousands of files and the ftp users will be able to get them...then upload to a new server.

I have informed the Florida admin and he has offered space for us Puppy people at a discount (hey he has to run a REAL business you see).

We don't have the resources there to handle ALL the bandwidth as John is donating his server already..grrr....cripes he has done tons of work and for nothing so BIG THANKS to John at http://www.igsobe.com for all his work.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tronkel

puppylinux.ca

#8 Post by tronkel »

Hi Eric,

Just tried to get to the TPP files on puppylinux.ca via ftp.
My ftp username and password don't function. Can you access the files as administrator or is the whole thing now inaccessible even via FTP?

Hope some sort of rescue operation is possible here.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Dingo

#9 Post by Dingo »

droope wrote: @dingo: Can't .ca's files be moved to doku??
I think I don't have enough space, but anyway, what total space is needed for total backup of .ca files?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Caneri

#10 Post by Caneri »

Hi Dingo,

You will need at least 2.5gb for a drive(give or take a few gb's)..then 3tb for bandwidth..at least!!

Cripes.

Eric

EDIT: The abuse cost me way over 6545.92 GB and my host let it go for awhile..but not anymore
Chinese Proverb[/color]

ttuuxxx

#11 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi Eric I started to backup my files the other day, Well not the libs since I have them in one large file as you know, But it might take a day or two, Its a couple of gigs worth, but i'll get on it straight away and finish, thanks for the heads-ups and the great excellent service that you provided, Your a top notch Canadian If I ever seen one :wink:
I hope all works out for you somehow.
ttuuxxx
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Mon 01 Dec 2008, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Caneri

#12 Post by Caneri »

Thanks Jeff,

We REALLY need your files.go man go!!

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

darrelljon

#13 Post by darrelljon »

Are there any mirrors of it?

Caneri

#14 Post by Caneri »

Hi darrelljon,

Well there was a mirror in progress until it was compromised via a password cracker...yikes it never ends.

This was cracked even though there was a professional security technician to install the controls...what the 'ell..

I'm on a hit list and there's not enough knowledge on my part to stop it...grrr..so far at least...I'll try to do better in teh future.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

ttuuxxx

#15 Post by ttuuxxx »

Caneri wrote:Hi darrelljon,

Well there was a mirror in progress until it was compromised via a password cracker...yikes it never ends.

This was cracked even though there was a professional security technician to install the controls...what the 'ell..

I'm on a hit list and there's not enough knowledge on my part to stop it...grrr..so far at least...I'll try to do better in teh future.

Eric
for a secure password on the top level maybe try something really lengthy with caps and lower case, plus numbers and symbols with a 30min time out after 5 attempts
lol hows this for one 2785sd382d5dsd38652386KHKHklhsodi767ydkhsdkys@#$%%##$kjhgkhdis8ud8666dkhdkwehkd676ikhwekw68686865GGJGFDHYYJKMKjutytt6752365653523
then what you do is just keep it locally on a encrypted hard drive and copy and paste it:) like who could remember a password like that ?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

dinky

#16 Post by dinky »

terrible news! i wonder if this highlights the need for a more organized Puppy? The time to start could be now. What about ibiblio? They host lots of projects, including puppy. We may need to find other servers who host linux projects... and possibly look at reorganising how Puppy uploads things to fit in.

I'm with Siteground, and with my shared server have 750 Gb of space... don't ask me how they do it, but they do. Only $80 Australian a year.... $60 US? No idea what the upload policy is.... I'll look into it. I would be hesitant to allow this for open use to upload things, as this hosts my website and business files I'm truly stuffed if they close my access... That said, If we're only talking about a few gigabytes, I'm more than happy to make backups of Puppy files... If there's an easy way for me too do this, let me know. Definitely not a permanent solution, but perhaps something useful if it's temporary. Oh yes... and Siteground seems to be quite slow... so not a permanent solution.. but still.

Eric, you said that your florida servers would be willing to host Puppy Linux. What's the fee? we may need to look at a business willing to do this... It sucks to have to raise donations each year... but there may be other ways. What's the cost we're looking at to host there? Cheers.

~dinky

Caneri

#17 Post by Caneri »

I finally have a response from Netfirms for the ftp users.

Hello Eric,

No worries, ftp traffic does not apply to your bandwidth so they should have no issues.

Regards,

Michelle
Netfirms Inc.
www.netfirms.com
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#18 Post by Caneri »

@dinky,

Costs that will be needed are FAR beyond a loose group.

My costs to date will never be recouped...but that was my choice so no matter.

Google ads are not the solution and donations are equally not the solution.

I have my ideas but they don't fit inside of the Puppy structure..and to be clear I don't want to change the Puppy structure in any way..I just got caught in a Jihad.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

droope

#19 Post by droope »

Caneri wrote:Hi darrelljon,

Eric
¿What's up with all the hacking? Whose wife did you sleep with???

J-Bob

#20 Post by J-Bob »

well, i began to worry about the state of your website when i tried to download a package, and the dreaded "concurrent download limit exceeded" message came up.

but i have hunted around for various hosting sites. but i have not had very good luck. but i did use filedropper for my bobpup isos and it accepted them (sadly, i don't know if it likes linux very much, as i uploaded the isos through my xp laptop, now using puppy as well)

if i had space i could offer for basic hosting, i would offer it, but alas, i cannot.

but if each person had a smaller host for their files and we had a site to link to all these mini-puppy repos, we might be able to temporarily keep the package backbone of puppy alive while the community looks for new permanent hosting. as that was my plan for a bobpup package system.

well, i'm hoping that this issue with your host gets solved. and i feel confident that i could say, most of us are supporting you in this issue.

- J-bob