Project Ripple [in development]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rhadon

#101 Post by rhadon »

LaneLester wrote:The quote at the top begins with (bracket)quote="rhadon"(bracket). Then I got fancy with the next one.
For this kind of qustions I can digging for hours in the forum without success. Great help. Thank you.
Rolf

dinky

#102 Post by dinky »

Great work people! Glad you got it sorted Lane, and thanks for everyone who's been adding to the wiki. I've been folllowing these threads, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to actually find time to sit down and post. Currently my 2 month old daughter is tied to my chest sleeping, so I can finally sit down and write...

@aarf
No troubles with Firefox 3.0.4, updated awhile ago. Usually the Firefox updates work flawlessly, wheras I found that Opera needed installation. (not hard, mind you, but installation all the same) I haven't tried the most recent Opera however.

@Rhadon
Did you sort your ATI graphics card? I noticed your post in the Ripple Release thread was before Lane Lester above sorted out difficulties. A couple things to try. Firstly, your Radeon card might work without any extra drivers needed, as it's Radeon, and that tends to be supported by the open source drivers built into Ripple. It's possible that 06-3 recognized your card and loaded the wrong drivers... or didn't load drivers at all. So first step, try Ripple 06-2 as a test bed. What happens when you start it? Is it the same as Ripple-06-3, or different? If it's the same, Ripple is configuring your card with the open source drivers, which isn't working, and if it's different, it's loading drivers that aren't working.

After that, try loading different drivers in ripple_06-2 to get compiz running. cfwizard (run by either running xorgwizard, or simply typing cfwizard when logged out of X) should configure xorg and your other files appropriately, it just lacks the needed drivers in 06_2. Follow the link I gave Lane Lester above, but this time try the more recent drivers (with higher numbers) first. A pain, but I'd recommend making backups of your pup_save file, and doing it 'cleanly' each time.. i.e., try one driver, if it doesn't work, restore your pup_save file, then try another driver. Not sure, but they might have issues if you install them all together.

Good luck Rhadon, and let me know how you go. Glad you got it working, and are liking it, for the eeepc. Next step, ATI card support!

@LaneLester
Thanks so much for that mate! I see why Tom said the cfwizard script never really worked for manual setup.... will have to get some clever person to hack into that and fix it. What we've just found out though is which driver is needed to support your card.. simple to fix really. That driver is already in ripple_06-3, but didn't configure properly for your card. I can fix that for the next test release with the drivers... simple matter of editing a few lines in the cfwizard. I'll let you know when I've done that, so you can test again. It should work next time. Cheers!

~dinky

dinky

#103 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, getting too difficult running 2 threads on Ripple, they are crossing over too much. Lets move all further Ripple discussions to the release thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 779#248779

I've just made a Development Page on the wiki, it's here:
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... evelopment

Lets use that for any in-depth talk of development in Ripple, so others can follow it easily and it doesn't clog up the Release thread. Cheers.
~dinky

aarf

#104 Post by aarf »

apologies.
moved to the releases thread