List your system

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
nighowl2000

#61 Post by nighowl2000 »

got dingo working a toshiba 4600 P3 700mhz with 256 megs of ram and 40 gig hard drive. Hard to get a asus wifi card to get wireless working.

Works great. Even got Rdesktop working so I can remote into my desktop and servers.

Zeppis

#62 Post by Zeppis »

PC #1:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2.6 GHz x2)
2GB 800 MHz DDR2
8800GTS 640MB
250G SATA2 HDD
LG BD-RW/HDDVD-ROM/DVD+-RW/CD-RW uber combo drive
BenQ G2400W 24" 1920x1200 LCD

boots puppy using live-CD and the actual files on HDD (frugal install). Usually runs XP Pro, tho

PC #2:

AMD Sempron 2200+ 1.5 GHz
1.5GB DDR400 RAM (@333MHz)
ATI Rage Fury Pro 32MB
160GB IDE HDD
AG Neovo 19" 1280x1024 LCD
DVD+-RW/CD-RW
frugal install just like the previous one, usually runs XP home.

PC#3:

AMD Duron 750 MHz
256MB 133MHz SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9000 64MB
160GB IDE HDD
Acer 19" 1440x900 LCD
DVD+-RW/CD-RW
rarely used... frugal install, usually runs XP Home

lying around: Pentium 133 MHz, 32MB RAM, 2G + 0.5G HDDs, Avance Logic graphics with 0.5MB video RAM, Mozart Sound System sound card and win95 installed. Hasn't been booted in at least 5 years (I tried once but it booted to BIOS). Someday I want to install puppy on this one.

Versions of puppy that I use change often. Sometimes I just delete the savefiles and SFS files and make new ones... 2.02 and TeenPup are my favorite. 2.02 for boot time and TeenPup for the apps (not TP 2008, tho, half the apps don't work for me...). Recently I've mostly been using 4.1.
Most common reason for using Puppy is when I just need to get online and boot fast...

I've only had one 256MB USB stick that booted puppy. Have failed with all other pendrives and even a LaCie mobile disk hard drive. The LaCie is a project I really wanna make work some day.

cthisbear

#63 Post by cthisbear »

" I've only had one 256MB USB stick that booted puppy.
Have failed with all other pendrives and even a
LaCie mobile disk hard drive.
The LaCie is a project I really wanna make work some day. "

Try using MBR Bin? on the universal installer.
Use Gparted to check the flags for pen drive usbs as
LBA and Boot.
Try a different USB port.

The Lacie probably only needs = Boot.
The latest GParted in Puppy 4.1.1 is great because it
allows you to select which drive...USB etc...
in a much easier manner.

Good luck & get back to us.
Edit this post as Solved if you get lucky.

Regards................Chris.

recycler

parallel processing

#64 Post by recycler »

cthisbear wrote:" I've only had one 256MB USB stick that booted puppy.
Have failed with all other pendrives and even a
LaCie mobile disk hard drive.
The LaCie is a project I really wanna make work some day. "

Regards................Chris.
Hey, funny to read this - I started this thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35689 because I couldn't get my pen drive to boot. Your advice was spot on Chris. Worked for my imation nano usb pen and so my system is now HP Pavillion T240a with 2gig ram booting from a USB pen installation of Puppy 4.1.1. With Open Office 3, Opera and Firepup from ttuuxxx for web browsing. Thunderbird 2.16 (from a PET package) for email.
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

skinnie

#65 Post by skinnie »

*Laptop
HP DV9575EP 17'
Intel T7300 2.0GHz undervolted@0.935v
2x2Gb DDR2 800@667 CL5-4-4-4...
2x160Gb Sata HDD
Nvidia 8600m GS
Ubuntu 8.10 X64
Vista Business X64

*Desktop

AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+@2500MHz
2x256 OCZ PC3500 BH5 (upgrading to 2x1Gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000)
DFI Lanparty Ultra B nforce2
HP Quadro 4 980XGL (waiting for my hardmodded 6800GT@ Quadro FX4000)
2x3Dfx Voodoo 2 12 SLI :twisted:
IBM C220P CRT
320Gb Seagate Sata
Terratec Aureon 7.1@Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 EEprom mod
Ubuntu 9.04
Windows XP SP3

*Fun Machine

Intel Pentium MMX200@233 (or more :twisted: )
Abit TX5 (430TX chipset)
Matrox Millenium I 2Mb
STB 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12m
2X128mb ram
Creative AWE32 with 4Mb edo ram
ISA FM Tuner
trying puppy :)

Zopiac

#66 Post by Zopiac »

Dinosaur!

COMPAQ Presario
385MB RAM (maxed)
334.11MHz CPU Intel Celeron
USB 2.0 WLAN
Sony CD+RW
Cheapo monitor, speakers, mouse, & keyboard.

(no ethernet port, 2 usb ports, no HD, and any linux that boots off RAM that will fit)

Evil20071

#67 Post by Evil20071 »

Sad for now

Dell Inspiron B130/1300
(Click sig for details)

Running a non-standard Tri-Boot XP/Ubuntu/Puppy (Puppy is booted from an external drive due to XP and Ubuntu taking up all my internal HDD space. My Puppy is, sadly, sick at the moment. (The HDD Bios for it went away and so it dun boot. Working on that problem)
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

J-Bob

#68 Post by J-Bob »

well. I could tell you, or use a picture describing it, or maybe both.

my puppy machine is a dell dimension e521
1 GB RAM
30GB Partition for Puppy
Wireless networking
1.8 GHz Sempron (i think it's 64-bit compatible)

i have an xp laptop
thinkpad e521
386 MB of RAm
1.13 Ghz pentium 3
20GB Hard disk
2GB partition saved for a future bobpup install.

and to sum it up with an image.

hope the site allows hotlinking. and no. I'm not female. I just chose that image because the two dogs remind me of my two computers. and because the girl in it is what i named the current bobpup after.

- J-Bob
(will unhotlink image at request)
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/MedliSage/MAL/thing-4.png[/img]
It's been a long time.

Tid

#69 Post by Tid »

DELL 600M INSPIRON
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1.60GHz
RAM: 256MB
Audio: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
RES: 1024x768 PI
ATA FUJITSU MGT2040A 40GB
PHILIPS CDRW/DVD SCB5265
SANDISK CRUZER 2GB

Wanting to bump my ram up but other than that runs real fast!

raven01

#70 Post by raven01 »

im running the newest puppy i guess you could call it

system is a dell inspiron 233 meghtz 144 meg ram systems runs great and its running off a 8 gig hdd

brymway

#71 Post by brymway »

Another change for me. I have Arch loaded on my hard drive. Arch proved to be a huge asset for me as I've learned more trying to figure out how to "make" a custom distro than the previous year and a half playing with live cds. So Arch resides on my hard drive but I still have a custom Puppy that I'm building and my other laptop that the cd drive doesn't work on is running Puppy. I also have a beautiful collection of Puppy live cd derivatives. It's quite large.
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

der_odenwaelder

IBM NetVista N2200 8363 Thinclient

#72 Post by der_odenwaelder »

Hello community,

for everyone who's interested in a small system with low power consumption: I've made a compilation of Barry Kauler's distro for the IBM NetVista N2200 8363 and I think it's a very fine os. It fits on a >=128MB CF card or MD. You can get it instantly from the site

http://www.deckelquelle.de/public/proje ... uppyLinux/

Your NetVista needs therefor 128 or 256MB of additional ram. Reboot and enjoy!

My hardware:

IBM NetVista N2200 8363 EXX

Geode GX1 Processor, 233Mcps
and CS5530 companion chip -
256MB additional ram -
Seagate ST1 Microdrive 5GB -

der_odenwaelder

PS: I get one N2200 @ebay for €1,- yesterday... :D

geodescent

#73 Post by geodescent »

Dingo 4.11 on Compaq Armada M700 650MHz laptop with something like 384MB RAM. Best OS ever for this kind of hardware.

Libretto100ct

#74 Post by Libretto100ct »

I run Puppy 4.1.2 Retro on a Libretto 100ct (micro laptop) over clocked to 200 Mhz, 32 RAM, 20 GB Seagate silent drive, and a Westell Wireless G card.

I also run on a Libretto (micro laptop) 70ct running 133Mz with 32 RAM , same HDD, with a Netgear MA401 (b) card.

Both the Librettos took some minor tweaking, swap drive, and resetting up xorg to get running smoothly , but they both are daily users. Puppy 4.1.2 more or less runs out of the box. I don't feel I have a hindered online experience using Opera on the Libretto's. Although I use Dillo 2 to read this forum at times. If I need to download a pet or the like from here I use Opera.

I have a Toshiba 430cdt (laptop) running at 133mhz and 32 RAM also. Like the Libretto's I get similar performance.

I have 4 Toshiba (laptop) 2250XCDS's running Puppy with 192 RAM , 600mhz processor. Once again because of the odd display it took some tweaking, but again works more or less out of the box.

I have too many other (desk top) computers to list off the top of my head. They range from Pentium 1 thru Duo-core. Only have one that runs Windows XP. The rest run some version of Linux or another. Puppy by far is my favorite distro and the one I am loyal to.

Though not a Linux guru, I know my way around Puppy and have fixed most issues on my own. I think the way it's set up is somewhat common sense when having to find what code is doing what. I play with almost all the puplets and have been since the puppy 3 series. I only signed on to the forums recently but have been a puppy fan for a few years now.

I run my Libretto100ct more than anything else in my personal and professional life hence my screen name. :)

Mr. Maxwell

#75 Post by Mr. Maxwell »

HP Pavilion N3410 (laptop)
Processor: AMD-K6-2+ @550Mhz
RAM: 64MB (I will upgrade to 256MB in the near future)
Hard Drive 5GB

jabu2

#76 Post by jabu2 »

Dingo live cd 4x, 412 now
- all OK out-of-box on

Compaq Armada E500 P3 800 256 wireless
Compaq Armada M700 P3 700 256 wireless

Fuji Lifebook 2200 centrino 1G wireless FF3 Kompozer added

is this thread any use to anyone, anymore?

Would it be better to just ask
which (already working) HW puppy will NOT run with???

mikeprotts

Re: Amilo M 7400 and DIY

#77 Post by mikeprotts »

Legace wrote:(Tested on Puppy Dingo 4.0)

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 7400
256MB RAM, 1.4GHz Intel Centrino

Puppy works fine, haven't tested the default wireless device as its broken.
The laptop doesn't support booting from USB disks/drives, but thats not a issue with Puppy.
I have two FS Amilo M7400's with, 512 and 768MB. These fly booting off a 128MB USB drive with Puppy 4.12. Load time around 40 seconds, and then near instant launch of programs.

The wireless works, but you need an add on program, rfsam:
http://www.zwobbl.de/2007/04/29/rfsam-v ... e/#more-11
http://zwobbl.de/pub/rfsam-0.1.tar.gz

I used a 256MB stick to build the rfsam program - needs the devx and kernel sfs loaded - then copied to the other drive and run from the network startup script. Email me if you want a copy (my name here at gmail.com).

I do find the broadcom onboard network has a habit of not recognising the ethernet cable from Windows, but Linux never seems to have this problem.

Mike

rblee

Wyse Winterm V90

#78 Post by rblee »

I just installed 4.1.2 on a Wyse Winterm V90 I picked up for a song at an auction.

Details:
- VIA mainboard (ITX-ish form factor, no IDE riser, although the solder pads are there,
the chipset supports IDE, and BIOS support is included. Internal risers for 1 extra USB
and 1 extra serial port. Not much room inside the case (large heatsinks), plus side
panels are metal, so internal expansion is limited. Contains no moving parts at all!)
- 256 MB RAM (Standard SODIMM, DDR, 333MHz)
- 512 MB internal flash (Removable - Don't recognise the slot type)
- Ethernet port (10/100).
- 3 external USB 2.0 ports.(2 back, 1 front.)
- 2 Serial ports (Back).
- 1 printer port (Back).
- 1 VGA port (Back).
- 1 PCMCIA slot (Back)
- 1 Kensington lock (for extremely credulous people) slot (Back)
- Microphone and line out (3.5mm sockets on front)
- 4GB external 1" HDD (actual disk by Corniche, whole unit branded "Excalibur")
- Netgear WG511T pcmcia WiFi card.

These things come with Windows XP embedded installed on the flash, but you really need to blitz this ASAP, as XPE is waaay fat for this machine, plus it needs updating all the time, plus it has a nasty kludge to stop XPE from trashing the flash by writing to it all the time. I actually have no strong objections to XP, but XPE is, frankly, a ridiculous piece of nonsense, presumably aimed at those who insist on Windows everywhere, even when it causes problems. Interestingly, the unix-based equivalent (V50?) has less flash and less RAM, if memory serves, and certainly no Windows licence fee so at least the Windows bigots are paying nasally for the privilege.

I needed an OS to boot locally in order to get the WiFi to work - it can PXE-boot, but this needs a wire - so I installed Puppy on the tiny HDD. I didn't use the internal flash because I would still need something to store settings and the occasional file, and HDDs are more reliable for this kind of thing plus, of course, I can have a swap partition. I did a test install on the internal flash, which worked fine, but the HDD is better for me as I can unplug it and leave the Wyse completely devoid of information.

I tried a number of "thin" OSes before Puppy, but they were either so Byzantine that they made my brain hurt, or couldn't do something important, usually running the WiFi card. I would have preferred to use ndiswrapper as the WinXP drivers for the WiFi card give you 108Mbps, rather than the 54Mbps that you get with the driver supplied with 4.1.2, but you get two 54Mbps links, neither of which work. This used to work in Puppy 2, although that was on a Compaq Armada 7800, so it may be some hardware difference. Apart from this there were absolutely no problems, and I even got an old .pup of FreeNX to work out of the box, so to speak. The Wyse runs Puppy so well that it actually makes a good stand-alone box, although I won't be using it that way myself, apart from playing music stored on my network.

For anyone interested, this is for my shed. I wanted a physically small thin client to run sessions on a couple of servers safely locked up in my house and play music locally, so if some plonker breaks into my shed and steals the Wyse, they get a relatively useless piece of hardware, without anything on it that I don't want ill-wishers to get hold of. The USB HDD gets pulled out and hidden in a sneaky place when not in use. The whole deal, including monitor and 2.1 speakers cost me less than the 40 metres of armoured cat-5 and terminations otherwise needed, plus I didn't have to either bury the cable, or drill holes in my house.

A laptop would probably do just as well, except I wouldn't be happy about leaving it in the shed (and carting it around, and setting it up etc.) as nicked laptops can be sold whereas old thin clients aren't much use unless you know a bit about them. There is a way of replacing the BIOS splash screen, so maybe I'll put a "Stolen From..." message there instead. Won't stop the machine being nicked, but should stop the thief profiting from it.

Finally, and most importantly, the factory-set BIOS password for the Wyse is "FirePort" - Case sensitive, no quotes.

Ruthious

!!!!I Need Help!!!!

#79 Post by Ruthious »

I am using and old Sony Vaio PCV-RX260DS with an intel pentium 3 800EB MHz and it keeps on telling me that either there are no archives in the iso or it is in a format that my computer cant use 4.1.2 please someone help me i am trying to reformat with the Puppy Linux cuz the XP discombobulated my PC

brymway

#80 Post by brymway »

I am using and old Sony Vaio PCV-RX260DS with an intel pentium 3 800EB MHz and it keeps on telling me that either there are no archives in the iso or it is in a format that my computer cant use 4.1.2 please someone help me i am trying to reformat with the Puppy Linux cuz the XP discombobulated my PC
This isn't the thread that your question will get answered the quickest. You might try up in the beginners area, that's where people and experts go to talk about exactly things like you are bringing up. Not flaming you or anything, :D I just want you to get the help you need, and it's up in the beginners section. See you there.

rblee
I just installed 4.1.2 on a Wyse Winterm V90 I picked up for a song at an auction.
Very nice. I love those thin clients. I am looking forward to building a machine just for Puppy using a mini-itx system. I hadn't heard of the Wyse but it looks nice. Didn't catch it in your post, what's the max ram upgrade?
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]