NOP 4.1 Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
shand

#61 Post by shand »

http://......CA/tpp/nop/puppy-410-nop-r1.iso

The iso file must to be downloaded by Proxy server.
Anybody could provide other link to get it? Please.

Many thanks!

DaveS

[SOLVED]

#62 Post by DaveS »

Gray, a small problem. I much prefer Seamonkey, which downloads and installs as it should via the package manager. HOWEVER, when I try to upgrade to the latest version, the installer that is supplied with Seamomkey will not run. It does in 4.1.1, so I guess something has been removed from NOP that this installer needs. I think it is a GTK installer. Any idea what I need to install to fix this please?

EDIT......HERE IS THE FIX

I 'stole' the file libstdc++.so.5.0.6 from /usr/lib in 4.1.1, and installed it in usr/lib on NOP (simple drag and drop). Then create a symlink to it in the same directory. Then re-name the symlink libstdc++.so.5

After this, the seamonkey installer runs just fine, but I had to re-boot first for some strange reason. For more essential info on upgrading Seamonkey, read here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34667
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

Goffice question? SOLVED

#63 Post by Henry »

Please disregard. I had not realized goffice-Gimp included Abiword, Gnumeric.

Henry

Tray volume applet missing

#64 Post by Henry »

I am using No 4.1.1, have upgraded my old but very clean personal configuration. Everything seems to work pefectly except that the absvolume slider tray applet does not appear. Note: If I run Nop 4.1.1 with pfix=ram the applet runs fine.

Here are some observations:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Nop 4.1.1 puppy pfix=ram, working tray applet:

/usr/bin/absvolume mousepad: ELF, exec: opens another working tray volume applet

in /root/.xinitrc mousepad. search for absvolume:
#v3.91 volume tray applet, thanks to hairywill... v3.96 MENU_BG variable...
if [ -f /usr/bin/absvolume ];then
# if [ "$MENU_BG" = "" ];then
absvolume &
# else
# absvolume -bg $MENU_BG &
# fi
fi

exec: /root/.xinitrc opens another working tray volume applet
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In upgraded Nop 4.1.1 personal configuration, no tray applet:

/usr/bin/absvolume mousepad, :ELF exec: does nothing

in /root/.xinitrc mousepad, search for absvolume:
#v3.91 volume tray applet, . . . (same as above)

exec: /root/.xinitrc does nothing

(Obviously I can do without this, but it would be nice if someone could suggest how to fix it. ;-)

gray

phantom absvolume

#65 Post by gray »

Henry:

So if you type absvolume in the terminal and press enter nothing happens ?

If you go to the /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/bin directory with thunar, right click and open trminal there then type absvolume and enter does anything happen then ?

If the last is OK then copy that to the /usr/bin directory

Henry

phantom absvolume UPDATED

#66 Post by Henry »

Good morning, gray,

I see there are 3 versions of absvolume. Don't know which you are using.

0.8 This package has the small speaker icons. Doesn't work for me.
1.0 Doesn't work for me.
0.9 Works for me as a simple slider. I made it an item in the lower panel. Sgmixer is still available from the menu, but I have no idea how to integrate it with absvolume as you have done. Nor why absvolume gets lost in the config upgrade. Well, I'm sure it's not important, unless it gets in the way of the next upgrade. ;-)

Here's a screenshot of my band-aid.

Henry
----------------------------------------------------------------------
grey wrote:
"So if you type absvolume in the terminal and press enter nothing happens ?"

True.

"If you go to the /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/bin directory with thunar, right click and open trminal there then type absvolume and enter does anything happen then ?
If the last is OK then copy that to the /usr/bin directory"

I go to /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/bin directory and right click on absvolume:
If I execute, nothing happens.
if i open with mousepad it shows as before
if I try to open in a terminal, it doesn't open
if I try to open in another application(terminal) it doesn't

Henry
Attachments
lower_panel.png
(29.59 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Last edited by Henry on Sun 23 Nov 2008, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

Opera "quirk"

#67 Post by Henry »

I guess this should be posted elsewhere too, and maybe is. Just an observation.

I use a pup_save.2fs, and watch the free space applet, correlating its decrease with added programs, fonts, etc. and to note mysterious changes. One such decrease I found was due to the accumulation of files in /root/.opera/cache4/temporary_downloads. This was surprising since I had set Opera to empty the cache on exit and also had set its cache (as well as bookmarks, opera directory, mail, and data generally) outside the pup_sav.2fs. When I manually delete the temporary_download files the expected free space returns. I am not the only one to notice this quirk:

http://forums.opensuse.org/applications ... older.html

http://operalover.tntluoma.com/tips/tem ... downloads/

gray

absvolume

#68 Post by gray »

Henry,

Your problem with absvolume must be a conflict betweent the file system layers. Seen this happen with unionfs but I didnt think it would with aufs. Not sure how to fix it. Try copying absvolume from /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/bin to the /root directory. Then rename it to aabsvolume and move it to /root/my-applications/bin. Then edit the .xinitrc to call aabsvolume instead.

Henry

#69 Post by Henry »

Try copying absvolume from /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/bin to the /root directory. Then rename it to aabsvolume and move it to /root/my-applications/bin. Then edit the .xinitrc to call aabsvolume instead.
I did the above (after backing up), and confirmed that my substitute 0.9 absvolume still worked. Then I uninstalled 0.9 and installed 0.8. Appeared to (not) work as before.

Not sure I had the right sequence, so I repeated this:
Try copying absvolume from /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/bin to the /root directory. Then rename it to aabsvolume and move it to /root/my-applications/bin.
No change.

gray, I certainly appreciate your high qualty work - you don't need distractions like this. Nop is still the best, and I am not tempted by Boxpup, however brilliant.

Thanks, Henry

sergio

#70 Post by sergio »

Hello

Can't download puppy-410-NOP.iso. Help?

Best regards,
Sérgio

gray

Alternate download

#71 Post by gray »

venger

#72 Post by venger »

hi there,

i tried to add a few extra panel plugins that i downloaded from goodies.xfce.org.. but have trouble compiling...
./configure seems to run fine.. but when i try to run 'make', there is an error that the compiler can't find the header.

anyone tried this and was able to compile/install extra plugins?

i m using devx_410.sqs.

Henry

graphics printing

#73 Post by Henry »

Using Nop 4.1.1, no success in printing from Gimp to a Laserjet 2100 or Canon i560, both of which have worked forever with CUPS from many other programs.

Have tried gimp-2.4.0-rc3.pet and goffice1_gimp-410.sfs. These work otherwise, as far as I know, even including an older help file (no help on printing, naturally).

Also no luck getting the newer mtpaint to print, as it should now. There is a config to be set here, however: File | Actions | Configure | Print image kprint %f What should this be set to?

Further, I note that printing works well with OpenOffice, Opera, epdfview, mousepad, Abiword, etc. - but usually not with programs running under wine. Well, I just installed Picasa. Very impressive if you're not snobbish about these things. But guess what - it doesn't print!

gray

Gimp print

#74 Post by gray »

Henry, I have downloaded and tried to print with the latest Gimp (2.6.3) from jcoder and it prints just fine for me.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 02&t=34612

I will try the Gimp versions you tried and see how they go (maybe a dependency missing).

jonscrut

Have all 4.1.1 fixes been added?

#75 Post by jonscrut »

It says in the forum that NOP 410 has all the fixes released in 4.1.1 but I noticed that the mouspad touch-tap fix is not there, plus I'm having trouble with my wireless which makes me wonder if all the wireless fixes are there.

Will you be releasing a full 4.1.1 version? Or waiting for 4.2?

Thanks for your work, xfce is a lot more intuitive than JWM!

sergio

Re: Alternate download

#76 Post by sergio »

Thank you very much :)

Bye,
Sérgio

Henry

Printing Problems - (mostly) SOLVED

#77 Post by Henry »

You can see by the number of edits here that I have been threshing about on this one. So I am summarizing and closing it. I still have a couple of smaller problems. But most of the problems were solved by seeker's bug fix lower on this page.

I can now print from all the apps tested under wine (none worked before).Some native Linux programs that would not print before do now. All print via cups-pdf, which outputs a pdf file that can be printed by epdfviewer to a selected printer. Hardly elegant, and epdfview is really slow to load, but it works. It seems that I should be able in general to print directly to the laserjet or inkjet, as I can in OpenOffice, for example.

I mention two excellent small programs -

Printoxx prints direct to the laserjet or inkjet after letting me size, arrange, and label multiple photos on a page. Simple and flexible.

PhotoFiltre is a wonderfully capable, compact, and convenient photo editor that works equally well in windows and wine.

I do not understand why my Canon i560 inkjet works perfectly in windows but the color is incorrect and washed out in Linux. Suggestions?
Last edited by Henry on Mon 08 Dec 2008, 00:36, edited 7 times in total.

laika

#78 Post by laika »

i downloaded NOP 4.1 and found it to be a very nice little Puppy. Xfce is a great choice and i like Opera, too. thanks for making it available!

one problem for me, though, is that -like the NOP i tried before 4.1- i can't get online. i configure pppoe-setup (like i have a zillion times before), i pppoe-start to connect, i get a connection, but then the browser gives me errors and won't load a page. pppoe-status says i'm good, but it's like i don't have permission for the browser or something.

i'd really like to use try this pup; any suggestions as to what i might be overlooking regarding getting online? any help will be greatly appreciated!

changturkey

#79 Post by changturkey »

Will this be updated to XFCE 4.6 when it is released?

laika

#80 Post by laika »

i'm still having trouble getting online. very strange that pppoe-status shows that i'm connected, but no browsing or ftp is possible. NOP basically has everything i want/need, but i'm frustrated by this inability to get online.

also, what is the small bar at the top of the monitor called? very handy, but i'd like to swap Xfce panel to the top and put the small auto-hiding bar on bottom.

thanks for any help.