Improving the stability of connections using rtl8187

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
valpy

Improving the stability of connections using rtl8187

#1 Post by valpy »

I hope this post will help anyone who has a rtl8187 card and is still having problems with the wireless connection dropping or running slowly in Puppy 4.1 or 4.1.1.

In the “Improved Network Wizard (and rc.network)

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Good to see you found a satisfactory solution. Myself I've had no problems with rtl8187. I too have a netgear wg111v2 hooked up to my son's desktop running 4.1.1. It could be the driver not playing well with the motherboard or something. I use wep on my network, don't think that is relevant though.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Valpy

It seems that the further from the router the Netgear WG111v2 usb adapter is, the more unstable it becomes. Up to 10m away all is good but now I've moved that machine 25m away your fix has become necessary.
As you say it works fine for a short period of time but then dies. I applied your formula and like magic it is all good again, and I've been on for an hour. I'll leave it on overnight and see what happens.

Thanks.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

NobleVehm

wpa using rtl8187 wg111.v2

#4 Post by NobleVehm »

If I manually change the WPA config file for my card in the /etc/network-wizard/wireless/profiles directory (something like 00:55:BC:94:E0:A0.WPA.conf) so that the WPA_DRV="ipw" line becomes WPA_DRV="wext", then it works.

I am new to Linux, almost gave up on puppy till I found this fix. It works great now, thanks for the time to the effort of improving personal computing. :D