Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 03:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Puppy 4.2 - Desktop and Artwork
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 18 [269 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2008, 15:59    Post subject:  

Can we start to work on / collect icons together?

I have started to work on a new orange/dark icon theme, but it needs a lot of improvements. Let's start with the 48x48 icons. I have mentioned in a previous post that I have made a program-to-desktop adder. This forced me to define a Puppy icon-set.

Using this adder could give a result as below. I am rather pleased by the left icons, while the right ones needs a lot more.

Following shows all programs in the Puppy menu with its icon.
Do you have any opinions, - great. But most great if you post us your better icons. Thanks.

Puppy also really need better 16x16 icons. If you have some good-looking, please share. Remember that JWM cuts the right/bottom pixel, so in fact we really need 16x16 icons which uses only 15x15 pixels.

Also we need some 24x24 icons for the new utility traybar. I think this bar will end up statically, so we do not need a complete theme, - only the one we want to add to the utility bar (see main post).

The menu also uses 24x24 icons, but this is a unique theme. See main post. This is almost finished.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Sigmund

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2008, 17:10    Post subject:  

Hi Zigbert

Nice Start, Smile
Just wondering something, when I made my last icewm release, I removed 80+ 16x16 icons and replaced them with 80+ 24x24 icons the reason why is, the smaller 24x24 details are way to small, plus its strange to have a menu with 24x24 and a sub menu with 16x16.
Couldn't we just have 2 icon sizes? 24x24 & 48x48 Also another thing, rox is usually setup to find icons in
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons
with this it uses .desktop files, and when making a .desktop file you just have to type say home.png as the icon, butttttttttt if the icon is located in
/usr/share/pixmaps then you have to type into the .desktop file
/usr/share/pixmaps/home.png
now shouldn't the /usr/share/pixmaps directory also be made as a part of the .desktop search path for icons so you wouldn't have to specify the whole icon path instead of just the name?
ttuuxxx
menus.png
 Description   
 Filesize   62.97 KB
 Viewed   1605 Time(s)

menus.png

24+24.png
 Description   24x24 menu icons
24x24 sub-menu icons
 Filesize   62.75 KB
 Viewed   1563 Time(s)

24+24.png

24+16.png
 Description   24x24 menu icons
16x16 sub-menu icons
 Filesize   55.08 KB
 Viewed   1540 Time(s)

24+16.png

Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sat 15 Nov 2008, 20:55; edited 1 time in total
`f00

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2008, 19:02    Post subject:  Copperdust?  

p.8 (theme)
Very nice gtk. Maybe lighten the active tab-button's bg a bit (sometimes the active-accent colorstrip is a bit too subtle when working with many similar content tabs). Orange foreground (text, etc) for the active jwm and it's a nice pair.

p.9 (icons)
Opinion here, fwiw. Some tend to be conservative for icons as visual clues (setup as white wrench in red circle as an example) and care not so much how they look in detail as long as they follow more-or-less consistently. Everyone has their own take. As long as the user can get a clue the rest is fine tuning. Scaling can be tricky if it gets automated (like the drive icons).
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2008, 19:13    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:
Can we start to work on / collect icons together?

Sigmund this is just an idea for a "shortcut" in the short term - have a look at the Darkfire icon set from the Dingo Icon Themes Exchange. It should be possible to tweek the colour from red to orange relatively easily and then you would have a black/orange set rather than a black/red set. Even mix and match with the OLM-Orange supplied earlier if you like. They're both GPL so that's perfectly ok, although you would need to be careful picking icons that matched in terms of design and not just colour.

In the meantime, I've been playing with some black/orange icons myself. I'll send you a pack soon.

Cheers,

zigbert

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov 2008, 03:58    Post subject:  

I have updated main post with more info and new screenshots. The gtk-theme and jwm are now brothers of look. There is now nothing blue left in theme.

If it all feels good after some days of use, I will upload some more goodies.

Sigmund

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov 2008, 05:27    Post subject:  

Wink This is looking professional. Congrats Zigbert on a wonderful job. (Some singing is runnung through my head...we want 4.2, we want 4.2,lol)

Have you resolved the 'click to make clock appear' problem? I've been trying hard on that one but no luck. Seems to be problem with xonclock when it stands alone also.

`f00

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov 2008, 13:32    Post subject:    

Very much easier on the eyes and yet looking forward - this keeps getting better all the time .. and limited though the jwm is on the one hand, it's also a fairly simple thing to mod if desired by simple users. Wonderful job cleaning up, warming and calming the new look - this layout should be a big hit with the logical movement and visual flow. A mainstream release with goodies Very Happy
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov 2008, 15:24    Post subject:  

DC has shown us how to change color of a conky bar at a given point.
It is added to Battery and Puppyspace widgets.

I wonder ..... I really wonder ...... How can I force Seamonkey to use default gtk-theme.

Sigmund

DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov 2008, 15:54    Post subject:  

Yeah......... how can that be done with Seamonkey...............
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 01:51    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:

I wonder ..... I really wonder ...... How can I force Seamonkey to use default gtk-theme.
Sigmund

Well if you have navigation icons I can theme seamonkey no problem. Just send me a tar.gz containing them.
Smile
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 08:17    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:

You could find an answer somewhere here, Sigmund. It is the Seamonkey users group download site. I particularly like the Seafox theme myself. There is all sorts of iinfo there that my prove useful in your quest.

Hope that helps.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 09:09    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
zigbert wrote:

You could find an answer somewhere here, Sigmund. It is the Seamonkey users group download site. I particularly like the Seafox theme myself. There is all sorts of iinfo there that my prove useful in your quest.

Hope that helps.

Off of that site onto another site I found a home button add on, well thats a start, plus a clear private data button, which are 2 very good addons and wanted by most users. Smile
ttuuxxx

Fossil

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 09:29    Post subject:  

zigbert,

The high-contrast buttons and text are fine but, the last image of the battery state, when seen against the mid-tone brushed metal, grey and ochre-yellow text is very hard to see - it all blends together. Youthful eyes can define such images with much better clarity than us 'old-stagers' past the mid-way point and with failing vision. Perhaps an alternative high-contrast approach for us old un's would be appreciated.
zigbert

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 15:12    Post subject:  

Fossil
I've got your point

ttuuxxx
If you could make a seamonkey theme that contains 'nothing' except the buttons, I would be VERY thankful. For me it's not THAT inportant how the buttons look. I just want the chosen gtk-theme to also work for the menus in seamonkey. But I see that the default buttons are somewhat old-fashion. I have made a alternative here. I hope 22x22 pixels are ok.

Thanks
Sigmund
seamonkey_icons.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  seamonkey_icons.tar.gz 
Filesize  4.87 KB 
Downloaded  315 Time(s) 

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2008, 07:39    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:
Fossil
I've got your point

ttuuxxx
If you could make a seamonkey theme that contains 'nothing' except the buttons, I would be VERY thankful. For me it's not THAT inportant how the buttons look. I just want the chosen gtk-theme to also work for the menus in seamonkey. But I see that the default buttons are somewhat old-fashion. I have made a alternative here. I hope 22x22 pixels are ok.

Thanks
Sigmund

Ok I made it up and it works great Smile
It took a couple of hours to figure it out, first I tried just to do the theme exchange of icons, But the way themes work is with positions quardinents, It worked after a few tries and 9 images on one png file, well I figured if people wanted to change icons for navigation that would difficult for them to build, so I scrapped that idea, Next I figured I would change the code so that indivual 22x22 icons could be substituted in the seamonkey folder, so basically make a 22x22 png file and rename it to which ever icon your changing it to. Now that was the ticket, simple. well in theory anyways, But I managed to do it, just one thing, I had to add a printer icon, Just because the stop icon and printer icon were on the same gif image file.
But one question, when you hover with the mouse, it gets the gtk theme effect which is normal, but did you want it to change colour on hover?
I did do the forward and back buttons in orange?
ttuuxxx

Page 9 of 18 [269 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: