Multiuser
33%
Other (please state)
13%

Total votes: 15

Capt-CDD

Root vmultiuser

#21 Post by Capt-CDD »

I think this poll is closed but as stated Options are good! Thats what draws most of us to Linux in the first place. I realize that its old school now but in my early SCO days we were always discouraged from using a root login except for the highest level admin. functions. My Puppy is running on a home network and at times I worry about some users having root privileges, so my vote would have been in favor of multiuser option. I would like the root option for single stand alone systems.

Nathan, Great job on the blog. In fact if you don't mind I would like to paraphrase you with a couple of NT clients allowing anyone to install anything. Thanks, CDD

cb88

#22 Post by cb88 »

@pizzasgood thanks i gotcha

anyway i still don't get why some people just don't want multi user.... like on my slackware box that i am trying to build T2/puppy on i can set that up to autologin to root just like puppy does.... of course its not automatic in slackware but it would be the default of course in puppy
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

My guess is the slight impact it would have on creating packages and the opportunity cost of doing all the work - there are other things more important that could be done instead.

Of course, what's important is relative.

Or maybe they just don't realize that, like you said, we wouldn't actually be giving up the auto-login-straight-to-root deal that we have now. Just making it so that we can disable that and log in as a user (or even set it to auto-log-in as a user).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

cb88

#24 Post by cb88 »

my guess is the latter... as far as i know it just doesn't affect that many packages (X of course can't think of the others off the top of my head) since most programs (excluding stuff written just for puppy) are design to run as a user because that is the norm
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Wsteffen

#25 Post by Wsteffen »

I have been able to add users with adduser in version 4.1 Puppy. I did have to
create /home manually. Also Had to move the following from /etc to /tmp/etc
during the "remaster process: inittab, passwd and shadow.
The inittab file was changed to get a login prompt (got this from another poet).
This did allow me to login as the new user, however there was no home directory!

In my opinion if there was a way to selectively include the /home directory (and
all of it's subdirectories), each user could remaster their CDs to be root only or
multi user.

alienjeff

#26 Post by alienjeff »

Of the hordes of Puppy Linux users and visitors to the forum, only 15 people have voted on the related poll ... since May 2008.

What more does it take to put this root/user holy war to rest?

Just curious ...
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

technosaurus

#27 Post by technosaurus »

@AJ that may just be the most observant post ever made from likely the most frequent observer of these forums.

bugman

#28 Post by bugman »

ROOT

nothing i hate more than usernames, except passwords

too late to vote though...

ttuuxxx

#29 Post by ttuuxxx »

alienjeff wrote:Of the hordes of Puppy Linux users and visitors to the forum, only 15 people have voted on the related poll ... since May 2008.

What more does it take to put this root/user holy war to rest?

Just curious ...
well lets put it this way, I enjoy being root all the time, Because of what I do for puppy, Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt We do get a heck of a lot of post from new users that want multi-users accounts. Its almost like we have 2 versions of puppy, One for developers with devx included, and one for regular linux users who want to have a security blanket. Or has kids and wants to keep their pc's safe from them.
ttuuxxx

-
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

edoc

#30 Post by edoc »

ttuuxxx wrote: well lets put it this way, I enjoy being root all the time, Because of what I do for puppy, Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt We do get a heck of a lot of post from new users that want multi-users accounts. Its almost like we have 2 versions of puppy, One for developers with devx included, and one for regular linux users who want to have a security blanket. Or has kids and wants to keep their pc's safe from them.
ttuuxxx
-
BINGO! You win!

Our 11 & 12 year olds are responsible & don't mess with system settings, however our precocious and impatient 6yr old is forever trashing the Win2000pro desktop he uses. Some of his learning games require Admin and thus the gates are open - and he uses them - sigh.

I'm planning to set up a shared Puppy 4.xx computer with games - I need to protect Root from the 6yr old and keep him from raiding his brother and sister's game settings (mostly unintentionally but increasingly intentionally) as he has done on other game toys and computers in the past.

So yes, it makes very good sense to allow for User Accounts on shared computers where children are involved.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Aitch

#31 Post by Aitch »

Hi edoc

A method I use with kids windoze PCs is to install ERUNT direct to C:\ & have a boot floppy available - restores most kids 'messes' by restoring the registry from before the 'oops'

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-onlin ... /erunt.txt

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

for puppy copy save file.....

Aitch :)

Aronzak

Root and multiuser

#32 Post by Aronzak »

I had an idea for this kind of problem.

Already puppy has a system to choose between multiple user saves, with different names. What I was thinking is that there could be a new utility to kill X and then do to that system again. Rather that having usernames and passwords, you would have different encrypted saves, and different encryption keys.

Another idea to take this further is to split the save files into 'personal' and 'core' files, with the user's personal app settings and files encrypted, while core files would not be encrypted. This means that multiple people could get access to the same apps installed (but have different settings, if they are configured right).

Then, make a dialogue to easily add another user/save file.

edoc

#33 Post by edoc »

Sounds promising - have you posted the idea over on the developer blog?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

kpfuser

#34 Post by kpfuser »

A very belated vote:

Multiuser.

To begin with, Puppy is already multiuser in some curious way. I am talking about 'Spot.' It is a second user of some sort although it is not clear to me at all what purpose is served by its inclusion in Puppy.

Furthermore making Spot a true limited user in the manner of other Linux distros would not deter the 'root only' aficionados from doing just this, i.e., logging in as root and automatically so if they wish. On the other hand, insisting on 'root only' and keeping Spot in its present state, i.e., a caricature of a limited user, does seem to enforce a 'do as I say and not as you would like to' regime on the rest of us.

Last but not least, I would like to take issue with an earlier post stating that because only a few members voted in this poll, the multiuser issue should be put to rest. Why so? Obviously the last majority does not care whether this issue is decided one way or another. Is abstention to be claimed as a vote for the 'root only' proposition? If so, why?

edoc

#35 Post by edoc »

Since there is no push-mail feature activated on the Forum users are only aware of a new poll or thread if they stumble across it. There is no basis whatsoever to declare that more than a tiny fragment of the Puppy user base ever knew that the poll/thread existed - therefore there was not meaningful measurement of their opinion taken.

I believe that there are now multiple PET's and Puplets which address the multiuser need, so it appears to be moot, as is generally the case in the Open Source world users created what they neeeded.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#36 Post by Flash »

The only reason I would care one way or another is if it solved (or became) a problem for me. Otherwise, it's like red hair versus bald. :lol:

bill

valid opinions ?

#37 Post by bill »

May I respectfully point out that the reason most polls are bypassed is simply for the fact that most users don't understand the question ,much less being able to have an opinion.There are some users who of course do have the knowledge to give valid opinions but in my case many post (which I do read) (or try too :roll: ) simply don't compute with my limited knowledge and I suspect,I am in the majority. cheers

bill

#38 Post by bill »

Oh !and by the way Aitch,Thanks for the links to ERUNT which I have flogged to some of my M$ acquaintances.While they are certainly a lot older than children,they sometimes do things that only the children could explain ! :lol: cheers

kpfuser

#39 Post by kpfuser »

edoc wrote:Since there is no push-mail feature activated on the Forum users are only aware of a new poll or thread if they stumble across it.
This was exactly so in my case.
edoc wrote:I believe that there are now multiple PET's and Puplets which address the multiuser need
Would anyone be able to direct me to some (as many as possible actually) such Pupplets other than Grafpup whose creator (Nathan F) has stopped supporting it? I must confess however that the purported multiplicity of such Pupplets sounds too good to be true because Nathan F states in a blog of his that for a multiuser pupplet to work well, developers must rewrite their programs so as to make them capable of running from a limited user account. This statement of Nathan F caused me to lose all hope of ever seeing a real multiuser puppy. Now if I were to be proven wrong on this, I would be truly delighted.

cretsiah

root vs multi user

#40 Post by cretsiah »

first of all i like the root user thing of puppy

ok i am wondering if a menu setting that used to be around (i cant remember which puppy it was in) could be moved to being run after the first save file...

the feature im talking about used to be to allow you to choose which sfs files u wanted.to use at boot.(upto a max of 3 from memory). so this may still stuff up for the hd install...

my idea for those that wanted multi user type feature (maybe usefull for the developers who start with a preset of tools)

the protocols:
an IF function that looks for the pup_save files (yes i know its there but hang with me for a tick),
- so on first boot it runs as the live-cd
after the first shutdown and reboot with a save file it auto loads the savefile (my example will be pup-save-cretsiah)
for those wishing for several pupsaves
when the second and third pupsave files come up.
u get a gui that allows you to select the 1 u want..kinda like the grub menu i suppose....witht he ability to still select upto 3 sfs files...

example:
cretsiah
ttuuxxx
Lobster
Development

so the cretsiah folder could be my browser, irc chatting window
ttuuxxx could be my kids folder
Lobtser could be my music and vids
and Development could be for the compiling/configuring needs i want which stays clean....
of course those names r only for examples...ppl could still name them what ever they liked....

its not so much a multiuser in the sense that they all need passwords and such....just that they load up as root with the presets you have put in them by clciking on 1 of the pupsave files rather than having to remember the name or type it in...

the idea being that the seperated pup_save files act like seperate user accounts....

maybe im just rambling for nothing though....