Running puppy on Thinkpad 560 with a Trident Cyber 9382 chip

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Tonny

Running puppy on Thinkpad 560 with a Trident Cyber 9382 chip

#1 Post by Tonny »

Hello.
I have a IBM Thinkpad 560 (Pentium 120) with a 1M VRAM Trident Cyber 9382 video chipset (part of the TGUI9660 family) and 40MB of RAM.

Xorgwinzard recognizes my hardware as a Trident microsystems chipset (TGUI 9660/938x/968X) and propose a resolution at 800x600 16bpp.

I fixed the HorizSync to 47-48 and 75-76 to VertRefresh in the xorg.conf according to the site: http://arctic.org/~dean/tp560/.

And I turn hardware acceleration with Option "NoAccel" "True".

The screen stays black. Help , please.
Last edited by Tonny on Tue 11 Nov 2008, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

Tonny,
Your TP is the oldest I have tried to get working, so we may not actually "get there." But let's see what we can do.

The first things are to ensure you have enough memory to work with. Since you have only 40MB of Ram, you need to create a swap partition of at least 88MB, to have 128MB total space; more is better -- maybe a 128MB swap. Even with all that, expect sluggish behavior with only 40MB RAM. (I can get a bare-bones Puppy to run on my 266MHz, 32MB-RAM iPaq Internet Applicance -- slowly, one application at a time.)

Try Puppy without any modifications to xorg.conf. I don't see where you got the numbers for your mods, so they may simply confound things.

Are you trying to retain whatever is already on the HD, or can you start with an empty drive. If the latter, we can use command line tools to repartition the HD and format the partitions.

Interesting challenge; curious to see how far we can get.
Richard

Tonny

#3 Post by Tonny »

On this notebook when I bought (2001) and abandoned, I put Windows 98 SE.
I started puppy linux through a floppy boot disk (no installation on the hard disk: I have to understand how?).

The values HorizSync and VertRefresh I've found in the XF86Config file on the site http://arctic.org/ dean/tp560 ~ / (for the server XFree (XF86_SVGA)).

The default settings of Xorg.conf are not working.

rerwin

#4 Post by rerwin »

Tonny,
After posting above, I reflected upon your situation and conclude that, no matter how we would get Puppy to run on your TP 560, you would not be happy with its performance. Although you have a little more RAM than my Internet Appliance, the CPU is half as fast as mine. I don't use my IA because of the performance, but I hold out hope that eventually I can build a usable system.

If Window 98SE works on it (I'll bet slowly, too), that probably is your best bet. I am beginning to suspect that only a text-based linux will perform adequately on the IA, and have not begun to investigate that.

Squeezing Puppy into the TP 560 can consume a lot of time, for little payoff.

I await your answers to my previous questions and suggestions.
Richard

Tonny

#5 Post by Tonny »

On this computer W98 runs properly without launching too many applications at the same time. I also Microsoft Office 1997 without too much problem. Of course they are light files.

It was more a challenge to use Linux as a truly useful.

And I even failed to find the command line ( "Wakepup2" does nothing) to install linux puppy without GUI. I am therefore unable to test your suggestions.

I am afraid that the lack of RAM is a hindrance to use Puppy Linux

I hope more luck with a DSL through this post http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forum ... hl=trident.

Captain DaFt

#6 Post by Captain DaFt »

Hi, by coincidence I'm trying to get linux installed on a thinkpad 560 too!
Similar specs to yours, but only 16 meg ram! (It's the challenge of it, I'm nuts!)

I was able to do a frugal install, and run in command line, just barely, with wakepup and a swap file. (Beforehand, I'd re-partitioned the drive to leave room for the swap file.)

You might want to try Deli Linux, version 0.8.0 is just out, and will run a GUI with just 32 Meg of ram. (I've got Version 0.7.2 running on mine now, it'll run on 16 Meg, but I haven't been able to get get X setup yet.)
http://www.delilinux.org/wiki/doku.php? ... deli-0.8.0

Lots of luck to you, and If I get get X running, I'll let you know!
(If you figure it out first, let ME know!)

Captain DaFt

#7 Post by Captain DaFt »

Success!
Ok, I've finally got an xorg.config that'll work!
I found the flaky horizontal and vertical sweep frequencies, after much back-water googling.)
Anyway, this is the xorg.config if you have an 11.3" DSTN display:

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "freetype"
# Load "xtt"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
Load "xtrap"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
HorizSync 24.2 - 50.0
VertRefresh 37.8 - 76.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "vesa"
Card "Trident Cyber 9382 (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 8
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection [/code]

Tonny

#8 Post by Tonny »

Good news.
But my computer has a 12.1" TFT display that is different from yours.

Despite my efforts, I was not able to obtain a video display thanks to Xorg.

Through this link and using google I used X server designed for older Super VGA video chips.
I now have a display 800x600 (75Hz) 16-bit color:

1) Copy XF86Config to /etc/X11
2) Copy XF86_SVGA to /usr/X11R7/bin
3) ln -sf XF86_SVGA /usr/X11R7/bin/X
4) startx
Attachments
XF86Config.gz
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 609 times