wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy - OLD LIST

Jeffreytooker

#141 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:Ah, you're using a full HD installation! The problem of full HD installs not including the complete collection of modules has been an ongoing problem for a long time, and I have lobbied Barry about fixing the Puppy Universal Installer on several occasions.

So your failed wifi situation was a result of comorbidities!
<Snip>
You will see that "mode", "essid" and "key" are set in a slightly different order, this could have some impact.
tempestuous:

I am presently in a full installation of 4.0. In time I will set up and burn an open DVD. None of my old systems will start from USB. You are correct my wireless problem had several items that needed corrected. I was not surprised. What you have found out about the coding may contribute to 4.01. Most problems of any complexity at all have more than one item to correct. I can now get classical music out of Seattle.

Jeffrey

daklander

D-Link DWL-G510

#142 Post by daklander »

D-Link DWL-G510 Version 1 PCI card works. WEP encryption.
I don't know which chip is in the card but the card works fine using ndiswrapper.

Laie

aquip A/WLAN1 54M USB Wireless

#143 Post by Laie »

aquip A/WLAN1 54M USB Wireless device with
Marvell libertas 8338 chipset works with WPA.
I used Puppy's Network Wizard (under Muppy 008.3E[Puppy 301]) and
ndiswrapper with the WIN98-driver NetMW221.inf (and MRVW221.sys).

LaneLester

Recommended USB Stick?

#144 Post by LaneLester »

Guys, I need to connect some old boxes to my wireless router in a hurry. There are no wires to the room yet. Can you recommend a USB stick that will work right out of the box... and hopefully doesn't cost much?

Lane

dogle

#145 Post by dogle »

[oops, old habits die hard, edit to correct version numbering]

I've just had chance to run some comparative tests on three USB wifi adaptors, in 3.01, 4.1beta vanilla and 4.1retro beta.

Background: Been using a Belkin model F5D7050 [on the device label], ProductID=705c [Pupscan], for more than a year. Needed ndiswrapper in the 2** series but likes the 3.01 zd1211rw driver loaded out of the box. Wanting a backup, got the Belkin higher-spec successor, didn't work [progressive freezeup], took it back to the shop. Subsequently got two cheap Pluscom adaptors [a brand name of the Chinese packager Shenztech], models WU-ZD1211B and WU-TR2571W, identified by Pupscan as manufacturer ZyDAS and Ralink, ProductID=1215 and 2573 respectively. Neither worked with 3.01.

The tests were run cold-booting pfix=ram on a Duron box with 512 MB.

Summary of results:

F5D7050

3.01: is happy with KERNEL-MODULE=zd1211rw [version 1.0] loaded automatically.

4.1beta: loads zd1211rw, wizard detects network but reports 'unable to connect'; failure with Pwireless and Xautoconnect.

4.1retro beta: reports KERNEL-MODULE=(none) network not detected, even when zd1211rw loaded manually per wizard; Xautoconnect requests 'load appropriate driver'.

WU-ZD1211B

3.01: loads zd1211rw to no effect, nor do any of the other USB drivers work. [I subsequently tried Tempestuous' ZyDAS DotPet, without success].

4.1beta: loads zd1211rw, detects network but reports 'unable to connect'; failure with Pwireless and Xautoconnect.

4.1retro beta: reports KERNEL-MODULE=(none), failure as beta.

..................... paperweight?

WU-TR2571W

3.01: Network wizard sees interface rausb0, but test provokes progressive freezup, kill command not successful. However, works when the rt73 driver is forced.

4.1beta: Picks up the rt73usb driver, wizard sees wlan but reports 'unable to connect', eventual success with Pwireless.

4.1retro beta: This adaptor consistently stalls the boot process, immediately prior to 'keyboard'. [Someone else has had similar stall problems, can't locate the report; wonder if he had a dodgy USB device].

Hope this will shed some light somewhere.

Oh, all tests with WEP, I'm not able to test WPA right now.

Heartiest thanks to Dougal and Tempestuous; LaneLester, welcome ~!~ [wagz].
Last edited by dogle on Fri 26 Sep 2008, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

LaneLester

#146 Post by LaneLester »

dogle wrote:I've just had chance to run some comparative tests on three USB wifi adaptors, in 301, 401beta vanilla and 401retro beta.
Thanks for that report, dogle. Frankly, I don't think wireless makes much sense for desktops. I'll put NICs in these three old machines to go with the eight refurbed old machines that I'm geting for the school lab. They will all come with NICs. I guess I'll get a couple of cheap switches to hook them all to the router.

Lane

cedayiv

Airlink101 AWLC4130

#147 Post by cedayiv »

Airlink 101 "Super G" AWLC4130 Wireless Cardbus card.

Automatically works in Puppy 4.00 "Dingo" with the ath_pci driver, no tinkering required. However, I could NOT set up WPA via the Network Wizard. Entering the ASCII key in the GUI didn't work, with or without a preceding "s:". I had to hand edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and enter the key line using double-quotes:

For example,
psk="3CfgH9283xqpsjldfjap9800oDSPE67"

Once I restarted the wpa_supplicant process using kill -HUP, I was able to get an IP address via DHCP in the Network Wizard. Web browsing now began working, so I stopped pulling my hair out!

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the Network Wizard, or just my inexperience with Puppy, but either way there is room for improvement in the user experience, as the solution was in no way obvious to me.

Is there a better place that I should post this "solution"? (Or perhaps it is already mentioned somewhere?)

Here are the card specs:
http://www.airlink101.com/products/awlc4130.php

wilvi

RaLink

#148 Post by wilvi »

MSI M670X notebook: Ralink wireless card works o.k.

Puppy 4.0

I'm typing from it :D

Olida

#149 Post by Olida »

IBM 11a/b/g Wireless Cardbus Adapter (PCMCIA)

Puppy 3.01
Working with ndiswrapper

Puppy 4.00 dingo
Automatically detected as atheros (no tinkering required)

No problems with WPA

paul.sijpkes

wifi list

#150 Post by paul.sijpkes »

Thanks cobelloy for putting in the effort to put this list together.

It would however be very useful if the puppy version numbers confirmed to be functional for each card are also also included. For example, I understand that some cards work under 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 using the RtUtilt utility but this is not included in 4.0.

I don't want to bag your work, I just thought this would be useful! :)

cheers,

Paul

DaveS

#151 Post by DaveS »

I have been having an 'interesting' time getting my Broadcom BCM9 43xxx chipset to work in Pup. Firstly, Pup (4.1) recognizes the chipset correctly. Brilliant. For me that is the first time I have used a 'free' linux distro that can do this. Having had so much trouble with this chipset in the past (ndiswrapper etc), I figured I would need to configure the connection myself. WRONG! Trying to do so led to all manner of problems, and no connection. Here is how I found works best: after boot, just WAIT until the network connected icon appears in the systray. This takes about a minuite. Dont be fooled. Pup has recognised the interface and loaded it, but you still wont have a connection. SO, from the menu, or a desktop icon if you set one up, run Pwireless Network Scanner. This should pick up and list your network. Highlight the one you want to connect to if more than one is listed and hit the 'connect' button. Pup will then acquire a network address from you router and log you in. Done!
I wish I could get those last stages to happen automatically, but nothing I try makes it happen. Still, no biggie, and brilliant for recognising and supporting this known to be difficult chipset. Great great Distro :-)

issarad

#152 Post by issarad »

Thank you for this list of working WIFI cards! I picked up a Netgear WG311v3 PCI card today and it works like a charm with the windows driver wrapper under TeenPup 2008.

Now this PC can go back to my bedroom at the other end of the house without having to run almost 100 feet of cable.

Dumdideldum

#153 Post by Dumdideldum »

Netgear WG111v2 USB stick works flawlessy in Puppy 4.1 without any manual work. It contains the RTL8187 chipset, which seems to be natively supported by the kernel.

jonlowe

ASUS WL-100G PCMCIA b/g

#155 Post by jonlowe »

Asus WL_100G PCMCIA wireless card.

This card works GREAT with an old HP Omnibook 800ct, with a fast Pentium 166 MMX processor and 80mb of ram! I'm using it now. Does WAP, WEP, etc. Puppy 4.1 regular and retro picked it up in the wizard instantly. Uses the "b43" driver. A lot of other cards put too much load on the CPU. I'd tried a Netgear WG511T that worked great on another laptop with Puppy that had a 650 mHz processor. But while recognized on the Omnibook, would never hook up. This ASUS card isn't bleeding edge, but has wireless g and the security I wanted. Found it on Amazon for less than $20.

Jon

clicketyclack

#156 Post by clicketyclack »

Airlink AWLH6070 150n pci card works out of the box with 4.1, but with no support for encryption

alcide

#157 Post by alcide »

experimented with puppylinux 4.1

a Packard Bell Imedia 4050 machine with a intern DLink DWL-G150 only worked with WEP

a tiny experiment with the same machine provided with a dlink dongle dwl-g132 did not seem to work

Dpup

Puppy 4.1 and 4.1.1

#158 Post by Dpup »

I have also experimented with Puppy 4.1 and 4.1.1 wireless WPA2 TKIP. The ones that worked consistently well, including auto re-connect on boot, installed with Puppy's wizard and ndiswrapper or mod as indicated include:

1) Acer 3003 Laptop, internal wifi, wizard
2) Hewlett Packard DV6833us laptop, internal wifi, wizard
3) ASUS Eee PC 1000HA netbook, internal wifi, madwifi for Eee
4) ZyXEL AG225H, USB dongle with built in sniffer and more, wizard
5) Airlink AWLL3028 USB dongle (Fry's sale item at $ 8 ), ndiswrapper
6) Airlink AWLL3055 USB dongle with 10dB gain antenna, (Fry's sale item at $15), wizard
7) Airlink AWLL6070 USB dongle, (Fry's sale item at $15), ndiswrapper
8 ) Linksys WUSB100, ndiswrapper

I know there are many many more that also work, but several of the USB dongle units that I tried above are among the lowest cost USB wireless adapters I have found at various local sales. Hope this information is helpful to others.

firak

Confirm work Belkin

#159 Post by firak »

I'm happy to see that this usb wirless Belkin G+ was already recognized ..
was easy to configurean -ip etc. in linux puppy. Amazing!
I yous istall 4.1.1 fro a version of tux (dowlod the iso called nov08 )

It is amazing no to search for drivers. Tanks linux comunity, thank barry & tux and all the puppy friends.

Installing hardware, operating system is not easy anyway, at least puppy always give me dissatisfaction.

Yust let you know that for use the same device bekin c+ in winXP, with the original diskette , take me few hours. with puppy did work in a flash!

ranmaru

#160 Post by ranmaru »

under Puppy 4.1.2

Gigafast WF-748 usb - puppy autodetects the driver, so no need to manually load. (uses the zd1211rw driver) Works unencrypted. WEP and WPA both work perfectly. this unit is discontinued and no longer in production. Disk that came with it had Linux drivers as well.

Retail Plus usb wireless- same chipset as above. works just like the gigafast. Got mine for under $25. Comes with a disk including Linux drivers...

Zonet -ZEW2502 usb- must use ndiswrapper (I was successful with the windows xp driver). Works unencrypted. Tried WPA but didn't work. WEP was untried.