(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 01 Oct 2020, 08:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Wine and the R statistical package?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
jwkeesling

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 02:11    Post subject:  How to install Wine and the R statistical package?  

Hi,

I'm brand new to Puppy. I can't tell if this is the right way to post a question -- this forum seems to have a lot of answers. I've tried DamnSmallLinux and Kubuntu with various degrees of success on my rather antique Satellite 1695CDT with 6G of disk and 192MB of Ram. Puppy seems to be the best fit so far Very Happy ! An abiding interest of mine is statistical analysis. I have several Windows programs I like, so I would like to see if they run under Wine. I also would like to install the statistical package called R which does have a Linux version (R documentation indicates that the base part of R is part of the Debian distribution). I'm so new to Linux, however, I can't seem to make sense of how to do something like this in Puppy.

There are really two questions here:

1) how do I install Wine and try out the software I have in the Windows part of my computer? I tried following the link to download the Slackware tgz, but a window popped up saying that #3 wasn't recognized by #2 and #1 needed ti be told what to do about that. The choices seemed opaque -- I just want to download, not actually process anything (I think). If I get over that hurdle, then I will need some clear direction about how to run Windows programs under Wine.

2) Has anyone else in the Puppy community figured out how to get R running in the Puppy environment?

I am really impressed with how quickly Puppy seems to work on my antique laptop. I'm using a USB-mounted wireless-g antenna. Web pages render very rapidly. The graphics processor isn't up to running streaming video very well, but that's not a concern.

Really liking my experience so far.

jwk
smokey01

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 05:12    Post subject:  

I'm not sure if your Windows software will run under wine but if you download the wine pet file below then click on it, it should install automatically.
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/wine-1.0.pet

Good luck.

jwkeesling

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 18:17    Post subject: installing Wine  

Thanks for the suggestion and URL. That did seem to allow me to download the file without problems. I'll report later on how well it works.
jwkeesling

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov 2008, 12:09    Post subject: Wine installation  

smokey01 wrote:
I'm not sure if your Windows software will run under wine but if you download the wine pet file below then click on it, it should install automatically.
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/wine-1.0.pet

Good luck.

So close, but yet so far! The installation went very well, but I didn't know how to use Wine.

So, I opened a console and tried typing Wine followed by a file name. Since the files I want are imbedded fairly far down in my directory, I opened the icon for the hard drive and went looking for them so I could type in the whole path. Then, by mistake, I simply clicked on one of the exe files and Wine started right up and tried to run the program! Cool!

BUT: any of these programs that needed to access a file to run simply wouldn't work. A program that is self-contained (DESCRIBE, part of the PEPI suite, for example) seemed to work well. WINSTEPS needs to know where to find a "control" file, and pops up a file explorer to help you search for it -- no luck, it doesn't work under Wine.

Even the Windows version of R on my system started up -- but I can't load packages into R (code written in R that performs specialized tasks) because (I am guessing) it can't use the file manager overlay in Puppy.

I'm now thinking that if I can install a version of Wine that would resolve these issues, I could run everything I want within Puppy! I could even use the latest Windows version of R (which isn't supported for the W98SE system on which I have my frugal installation of Puppy.

Is there a newer Wine pet I could try?

Thank you smokey01 for helping me to get this far -- I think a big step. The goal seems so close now.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov 2008, 16:37    Post subject:  

In the console (rxvt) type winefile and you will have the comfortable Windows explorer environment.
You can browse to the place where your programs (in program files) f.e. are.

Use peppyy's puppysearch

Last edited by Béèm on Wed 12 Nov 2008, 20:17; edited 1 time in total
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov 2008, 20:16    Post subject: wine and r  

Wine:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26717

Searh for "statistical" here and you will find interesting links to the use of R. See also this:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17826

Bruce B

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov 2008, 20:46    Post subject: Re: Wine installation  

jwkeesling wrote:

Is there a newer Wine pet I could try?

Yesterday I installed wine 1.15 from a hodgepodge of the Debian packages listed below. The debug package is big and you don't need it. So far all my tests show fine.
    libwine-alsa_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    libwine-dbg_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    libwine-esd_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    libwine-gl_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    libwine-gphoto2_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    libwine-ldap_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    libwine-oss_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    libwine_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    wine-bin_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    wine-utils_1.1.5-1_i386.deb
    wine_1.1.5-1_i386.deb

The install was a matter of opening each package and copying to a dummy usr at /wine/usr

The primary reason for doing it in a dummy /usr first, was to make a tarball, for future super easy installs. Also, so I could make a complete file list for deleting all the files.

There were no overwrites, none, which is good.

To finish, match the /wine/usr with /usr

It all tested super good.

The winecfg allows you to emulate XP, which I guess you need. I choose 98.

jwkeesling

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov 2008, 01:28    Post subject:  Wine and Winefile
Subject description: Using Wine to locate executable files

Béèm wrote:
In the console (rxvt) type winefile and you will have the comfortable Windows explorer environment.

I typed winefile <enter> and I did get a file browser like explorer. BUT, it didn't show the entire content of my c-drive directory, just program files and windows. Within program files it would not show all of the entries, only those leading to Windows Internet Explorer.

Any insight about how I can get winefile to explore everywhere on my hard drive?

Thanks for this suggestion -- it almost worked out of the box!
jwkeesling

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov 2008, 01:36    Post subject: Re: Wine installation  

Yesterday I installed wine 1.15 from a hodgepodge of the Debian packages listed below. The debug package is big and you don't need it. So far all my tests show fine. -snip-

The install was a matter of opening each package and copying to a dummy usr at /wine/usr

The primary reason for doing it in a dummy /usr first, was to make a tarball, for future super easy installs. Also, so I could make a complete file list for deleting all the files.

There were no overwrites, none, which is good.

To finish, match the /wine/usr with /usr

It all tested super good.

The winecfg allows you to emulate XP, which I guess you need. I choose 98.[/quote]

Thank you for this description. I'm very new to Linux, so I think I understand a lot of what you are saying, but I'm not sure I am ready yet to execute all of those steps. I'm using a Win98SE-based laptop for my Puppy experimentation. So, I think I'd choose to emulate 98 rather than XP.

Your experience makes me hopeful that I'll someday be able to grab the Debian-based version of R and make it into a pet (or is that pup -- I find that terminology really confusing at this point). That would also make me very happy about using Puppy.

Thanks again!
tw296

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov 2008, 08:05    Post subject: Re: Wine and Winefile

jwkeesling wrote:
Béèm wrote:

I typed winefile <enter> and I did get a file browser like explorer. BUT, it didn't show the entire content of my c-drive directory, just program files and windows. Within program files it would not show all of the entries, only those leading to Windows Internet Explorer.

Any insight about how I can get winefile to explore everywhere on my hard drive?

Wine creates a pretend Windows installation inside ~/.wine/drive_c
(~ means the home folder. normally it's at /home/username. If you're root (you likely are on puppy) it's at /root )
Wine gives you access to your whole system as drive Z
It should also have a working 'My Documents' that will point to your home folder
At least, all of these hold on my system.
When you install software with Wine, it will typically add startup links to your Desktop and Linux menu. But I don't know if that works under Puppy. Otherwise, find it under ~/.wine/drive_c

If you're coming from Windows - Linux doesn't use drive letters. Rather, there is a single tree, starting at /
Physical drives and partitions are then 'mounted' at point on that tree, for example /media/cdrom might be your CD drive - if no CD is inserted, that folder is empty; when you insert a CD and mount it (mounting can be automated), then the folder contains the files on the CD.
davids45

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov 2008, 20:25    Post subject:  

G'day,
Did you follow Raffy's suggestion to get wine 1.1.7 as a more recent version of wine? Wine 1.1.8 is now released so a .pet of that is likely soon (I hope).

I'm assuming you have a FULL install of Puppy so you will need the .pet form of wine. As you re-program yourself away from the Windows mindset that everything has to be "installed", the option of a Frugal Puppy and using wine as a .sfs should become something for you to try.

Wine's file manager (explore.exe) can get me to all my computer drives but initially starts with one of four panel options displayed. There are "/", "Shell", "C:\" and "Z:\" buttons on a tool-bar which can be clicked to explore "C:\" (wine's Windows set-up) or "Z:\" which is the Linux system comprising in effect all of your computer if you know where to look once you understand the Linux jargon.

In case you don't know, if you want to run a Windows program from within the .wine directory, use Puppy's excellent file manager ROX to navigate to the .exe file and drag this icon to the Puppy desktop. Click on the ROX's eye symbol to display the hidden .wine directory if you don't immediately see this when starting ROX.

Alternatively if your Windows' program created a desktop icon during wine's installation of that program, this icon can be found by ROX in the "Desktop" directory in /root, and again just drag this icon to Puppy's desktop and you're away. I have all my presently irreplaceable Windows programs set up this way.

Good luck,

David S.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2008, 05:00    Post subject: Re: Wine and Winefile

jwkeesling wrote:
Béèm wrote:

So you saw the c:\ drive already.
As said at this point you should think like being in Windows.
Clicking on a xxxx.exe will execute it.
If there is nothing else in program files, it's a sign you didn't install a Windows program.

Now to see the rest of the disk, select the z:\ drive. You then can see it. If there is a setup.exe for some Windows program you can execute it and install it in c:\program files as you would do in Windows.

As someone said, the winecfg permits to configure the emulated environment like windows 98, XP etc.. Having XP I did choose that. You can also adapt the graphics environment to have f.e. 1024x768. If your puppy is 1024x768 you might have problems to see the whole Windows panel, unless you hide the system tray of puppy. I think I did choose 1000x720.

As for a desktop, I think the support isn't there yet completely, so you can't see the program icons on a wine desktop yet.
Maybe the Wine 1.1.7 has more support now.

In /root/desktop I created xxxx.desktop files, so I can start the corresponding Windows program with a single click.
This an example for irfanview
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=IrfanView
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe"
Type=Application
StartupWMClass=Wine
Comment=IrfanView - Image Viewer
Icon=8ec2_i_view32.0
GenericName[nl_BE@euro]=
Name[nl_BE@euro]=IrfanView 4.10

So now you should execute the setup exe for your statistical program R and install it in (wine)c:\program files.
If all goes well it might execute directly. It could also that it needs some dll's which aren't standard in wine. You should retrieve them from your Windows partition and copy them to (wine)c:\windows\system32

Success

Use peppyy's puppysearch
jwkeesling

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2008, 14:14    Post subject: Re: wine and r  

raffy wrote:
Wine:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26717

I followed this before and was able to download Wine1.1.7, which seemed to work.

Just tried it again (after making a frugal install) and the site returns "concurrent download limit exceeded." Will this be reset or do I need to find this elsewhere now?
Béèm

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2008, 16:46    Post subject:  

jwkeesling wrote:
Just tried it again (after making a frugal install) and the site returns "concurrent download limit exceeded." Will this be reset or do I need to find this elsewhere now?
There is a problem with the server.
Work is in progress

Use peppyy's puppysearch
jwkeesling

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2008, 20:38    Post subject: Wine
Subject description: searching for PET

Thanks for that re-assurance. I hope the problem is solved soon.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: