eee-fan

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Dougal

eee-fan

#1 Post by Dougal »

I wrote a little script that runs as a daemon and controls the fan in the EeePC.

To run is all you need to do is add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/eee-fan-ctrl.sh &
I also wrote a simple config gui using gtkdialog. To run it, just type "eee-fan-config.sh" in a terminal.
Last edited by Dougal on Sun 12 Apr 2009, 09:42, edited 2 times in total.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

raffy

thanks

#2 Post by raffy »

Lots of eee "fans" will be happy with this, thanks, Dougal. :)

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Thanks Dougal. It's important to mention that the "eee" kernel module must be installed and loaded. This module is provided by the eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet, available here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 746#237746
I updated that post to link to this post.
Last edited by tempestuous on Sun 02 Nov 2008, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Dougal

#4 Post by Dougal »

tempestuous wrote: It's important to mention that the "eee" kernel module must be installed and loaded.
Ah, yes. The eee-fan script actually loads it if it's not loaded, but installing it first can be helpful...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

mawebb88

Eee PC 901 fan control

#5 Post by mawebb88 »

Dougal wrote:
tempestuous wrote: It's important to mention that the "eee" kernel module must be installed and loaded.
Ah, yes. The eee-fan script actually loads it if it's not loaded, but installing it first can be helpful...
Another Eee "fan" here. Many thanks for this but where can I see a read-out the temperature and fan speeds? I see in Hardinfo under sensors TZ00=57. I assume this in the CPU temperature? The current fan speed would be nice to see.

Do I need to install eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet as well?

Mike

Dougal

Re: Eee PC 901 fan control

#6 Post by Dougal »

mawebb88 wrote:Another Eee "fan" here. Many thanks for this but where can I see a read-out the temperature and fan speeds? I see in Hardinfo under sensors TZ00=57. I assume this in the CPU temperature? The current fan speed would be nice to see.
Hardinfo will not give you that info because the eee uses its own "uniq" interface for those things... hence the need for various specialized tools for everything.
To see the temperature you need to run

cat /proc/eee/temperature
and for the fan speed

cat /proc/eee/fan_speed
Do I need to install eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet as well?
That's probably for the cpu... you'll have to look at the thread it's posted on.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

mawebb88 wrote:Do I need to install eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet as well?
Yes. This dotpet package provides the "eee" kernel module.

mawebb88

Re: Eee PC 901 fan control

#8 Post by mawebb88 »

[quote="Dougal"]
Hardinfo will not give you that info because the eee uses its own "uniq" interface for those things... hence the need for various specialized tools for everything.
To see the temperature you need to run

cat /proc/eee/temperature
and for the fan speed

cat /proc/eee/fan_speed
Many thanks for this. I have put them in 2 little executable script files for myself:

xterm -hold -e cat /proc/eee/temperature
&

xterm -hold -e cat /proc/eee/fan_speed
(That's the real xterm not the symlinked rxvt)

But what I was hoping was that you might put this code in your GUI so we could see the values there?

By the way I don't know if its just coincidence but the temperature script gives the same value as I see in the Hardinfo sensor TZ00 value.

I tried to get away with a manual fan speed of 40% but have had to change it to 60% to keep things cool.

Mike

slappinjohn

eee-fan adopted for archlinux

#9 Post by slappinjohn »

@Dougal: Thanks for your work. using gtkdialog for configtool was a good idea. I adopted your package to run script as daemon on arch linux. Just had to add a line in eee-fan-ctrl.sh to trap SIGTERM when sending the kill command and to do an clean shutdown and set fan to autocontrol. I also wrote a script to start as daemon, placed in /etc/rc.d/ .
Maybe you're interrested in the changes I made, so I put the packagesource as attachment.

Greets
Attachments
eee-fan.tar.gz
Archlinux Source Package (see PKGBUILD for where to place the files)
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 958 times

Dougal

Re: eee-fan adopted for archlinux

#10 Post by Dougal »

slappinjohn wrote:I adopted your package to run script as daemon on arch linux. Just had to add a line in eee-fan-ctrl.sh to trap SIGTERM when sending the kill command and to do an clean shutdown and set fan to autocontrol. I also wrote a script to start as daemon, placed in /etc/rc.d/ .
Maybe you're interrested in the changes I made, so I put the packagesource as attachment.

Greets
Thanks.
I assume you added

trap "exit_script" TERM
at the top?
I'll add that.
I've been meaning to send the script to the Debian-eeepc folks, too.
I've made some little refinements, so I'll upload an updated package.

Note that I think that, on "normal" distros, you can give the config file and configuration gui user permissions, then all you need is to use sudo/su for the "killall -HUP" (or just cancel that feature...).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

slappinjohn

Re: Re: eee-fan adopted for archlinux

#11 Post by slappinjohn »

Yes, it's the line saying:

trap "exit_script" SIGTERM
You can also use '15' instead of SIGTERM, is just for exec function exit_script when SIGTERM is caught. Means when doing

kill eee-fan-ctrl.sh
I'll change the userrights for eee-fan.conf to allow write access for normal users. Or maybe change group to users. Thanks

magerlab

#12 Post by magerlab »

may be it's possible to share your experience on how one must use this eee-fan control

i do manually turn off the fan at start and wait untill the temp gets about 51-54 degrees and only then turn it on ( 20%)
the temperature stays at about 50-52 degrees.
also i use cpu scaling with cpufrequtils( took from slackware)

Dougal

#13 Post by Dougal »

I've updated the dotpet with some minor changes (and the "clean" exit).

I've also added a "verbose logging" option, that makes it log the temperature every time it is checked, so you can plot the cooling rate for different fan speeds... it could help decide on the best settings.

I've also included in the config gui mention of something I keep forgetting: the daemon will not accept temperatures below 30 degrees or above 80 degrees from the configuration.
The reasoning behind this is:
- If you set the lower limit too low, the fan will probably never stop (since you just can't bring the temp that low...)
- If you set the high limit too high, you might damage the processor...
Note that I just made up those limits, so if someone wants to google and find the critical temperatures for the processors used in the eee I can adjust it appropriately...
(These limits are now set at the end of the config file, so you can change them manually.)
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

venger

#14 Post by venger »

just to share my experience with a eeepc 901 unit:

Fan control works a treat - it is set to run at 40%. However, when my power plug is connected up to the laptop, temperature climbs up to 60degC +/- 3degC. The bottom gets much warmer then say the Ubuntu 8.04 install that i was running.
My fsb is set to a 'powersave' setting (i hope) at '75 50 0'.
regular cat /proc/eee/fsb does confirm that the setting is set at these values.

Anyway, will try a few things out to see if can sort out this problem -else, puppy 4.1.1 NOP with XFCE is proving to be snappy, faster bootup and generally just as fun as the heavier distros.

Many thanks to BK and team incl. Dougal for getting these netbooks to almost full functionality!