Muppy 008.4c (final release)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

Re: Another white box...

#281 Post by MU »

zgp152 wrote:With Muppy 0084.s, in low right corner, overlapping the digital clock, there is a white box, 1/3 the height of the digit. It is not a great problem. I added 6 spaces to panel definition. As a result the clock moved left.

The box is loaded after the wallpaper but before the icons.
I wonder whether it is a small error somewhere.

Rgds zgp152
can you attach a screenshot, please?
thanks,
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

brymway

#282 Post by brymway »

deleted as I crossed the ocean to early. Thanks Mark.
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

recycler

Muppy 008.4c

#283 Post by recycler »

I've been really excited to try Muppy out. When it works it is going to be a great operating system. Till then I'm moving back to Puppy 4.1 which has been perfectly stable, and performs really well. A shame since I would like to continue using Muppy. But too many problems like having to reinstall thunderbird each time I want to check my email and the previously mentioned problems with the X display. I stopped using it on this machine since it takes a long time to unmount the swap file..

Looking forward to the next release :)

Leon

MU

Re: gsview for Muppy

#284 Post by MU »

Dingo wrote:in Puppy 3.01 I was able to use gsview
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.htm

via package manager

it comes with 8.15 ghostscript version. now, Muppy has 8.62 ghostscript version and old gsview available from package manager don't seems work

tried Gslap, but it seems not have gsview. possible?
It seems, that gsview is no longer supported.
The last release is from 2007, and based on Gtk1.
I compiled it, but it needs libgs.so.
This is not included in Slackwares ghostscript 8.62.
But I found it in 8.63.
So I added this lib, and the required definitionfiles.
You can try it out:
ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/Muppy0084/00 ... ts/gsview/
I can watch a pdf I created with abiword, and export it as .jpg.
I did not test intensivly, and maybe I had installed other required libs.
Let us know, if it works.

Slackware includes an own gs/pdf-viewer called "gv".
It seems so be somewhat similar to gsview.
In gslapt you can find it, if you search for "gv".
You also must install Xaw3D.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

Re: Muppy 008.4c

#285 Post by MU »

recycler wrote:I've been really excited to try Muppy out. When it works it is going to be a great operating system. Till then I'm moving back to Puppy 4.1 which has been perfectly stable, and performs really well. A shame since I would like to continue using Muppy. But too many problems like having to reinstall thunderbird each time I want to check my email and the previously mentioned problems with the X display. I stopped using it on this machine since it takes a long time to unmount the swap file..

Looking forward to the next release :)

Leon
After a closer look at /etc/rcd/rc.shutdown, I think, I this is related to KDE, and maybe other addon programs.
I think what takes long is not the swap, but unmounting all partitions.
This is just not printed to the console.
It can take very long to unmount, if there are some daemons running.
We had to find out, which processes are still active, and then had to add some "killall" commands.
These could be placed in a file /etc/init.d/stopkde.

Mark

MU

Re: small white square

#286 Post by MU »

recycler wrote:Hi Mark, Puppy live has been running on a machine here since it was released. Really enjoying the look and responsiveness of it but having a problem that 3 times now (in the last couple of weeks) it will fail to load at the stage of starting up X. Instead of a desktop we have a small white square in the middle of the screen. Turning the computer off and trying again sometimes works.
Can you exit X with CTRL-ALT-Backspace?
Then you could backup the log (before starting X again):
cp -ax /var/log/Xorg.0.log /root/
sync

Then you might attach /root/Xorg.0.log here.
Beside potential errors, it also includes detailed info about your graficscard, that could give me some hints.

Mark

zgp152

Re: Another white box...

#287 Post by zgp152 »

MU wrote:
zgp152 wrote:With Muppy 0084.s, in low right corner, overlapping the digital clock, there is a white box, 1/3 the height of the digit. It is not a great problem. I added 6 spaces to panel definition. As a result the clock moved left.

The box is loaded after the wallpaper but before the icons.
I wonder whether it is a small error somewhere.

Rgds zgp152
can you attach a screenshot, please?
thanks,
Mark
The low right corner copied for you perusal.
Rgds zgp152
Attachments
square.png
(5.97 KiB) Downloaded 2086 times

MU

#288 Post by MU »

zgp,
that is the window of the autocutselect utility, that adds cut&paste to the desktop.
It requires a "hidden" window.
What desktop environment is running there?
Ususally it should be covered by the taskbar.
Mark

zgp152

#289 Post by zgp152 »

MU wrote:zgp,
that is the window of the autocutselect utility, that adds cut&paste to the desktop.
It requires a "hidden" window.
What desktop environment is running there?
Ususally it should be covered by the taskbar.
Mark
I have selected the only option that contains 2 visible panels and one hidden (you know the names, I am not now in Muppy know to check them). The bottom panel was changed to transparent but I think the square has always covered the clock display, with any bar color.
Rgds zgp152

brymway

#290 Post by brymway »

I am having a problem with cups. It configures fine, even prints out a test page perfectly, but when I go and try to print something using Abiword or OpenOffice, the printer is not there. I get the feeling the answer is gonna be simple and I'm gonna feel foolish but alas I can't get it to wor

This is with a MuppyMini frugal install with addons, games, and office extensions. Using an HP 2330 with the HP extensions..
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

MU

#291 Post by MU »

in cups, set the printer as default printer.
Then in Abiword and other programs it is used, if you choose postscript as printer.
Mark

champpain

#292 Post by champpain »

Hi.
I am waiting excitingly for the new muppy 084.d because MU wrote that the new version will also support my Intel Wlan-Module.

When my wlan works, muppy wil move from usb-stick to the hdd of my notebook.
:)

Why i write this?
I just wanted to be informed of new messages in this thread...
sorry...
:)

Bye
muppy linux 083 @
HP NW9440 Notebook on USB-Stick,
PC 466MHz 64MB RAM 40GB HDD (frugal-hdd)
& Compaq Armada 1750 Notebook 333MHz (frugal-hdd)

fuddel

digikam

#293 Post by fuddel »

fuddel wrote:
i want to use digikam within muppy, as i do it with kubuntu. i would prefer muppy in the future. it's a smaller os.

the installation via gslapt went well, but digikam won't start and i will get this message in a xterm:

digikam: error while loading shared libraries: libkdcraw.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

If you want try this packages, Its based on slackware 12.0, I didn't compile it because I'm using 4.0.1 at the moment.
If It doesn't work, just uninstall it
ttuuxxx
i installed "libkdcraw.pet" as ttuuxxx suggested

now i got this:

digikam: symbol lookup error: digikam: undefined symbol: _ZN11KDcrawIface6KDcraw7versionEv

shr1k

#294 Post by shr1k »

I have an HP laptop with a built in card reader.
I am having a problem mounting my memory card from my camera. When I use wNOP pmount sees and mounts the card, with muppy none of the mounting programs see the card. I am also having some issues with the clock in KDE .

recycler

Re: small white square

#295 Post by recycler »

Can you exit X with CTRL-ALT-Backspace?
Then you could backup the log (before starting X again):
cp -ax /var/log/Xorg.0.log /root/
sync

Then you might attach /root/Xorg.0.log here.
Beside potential errors, it also includes detailed info about your graphics card, that could give me some hints.

Mark
Hi Mark, I don't want to bother you with the contents of my Dell machine's Xorg log.....thanks for the offer but it is obviously a rogue machine and I will use Muppy on other machines :D

Wishing you all the best and many thanks for your contributions to Puppy and the forum.
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

BobSongs

Where do I get Muppy 008.4?

#296 Post by BobSongs »

Would someone kindly post a link to the latest Muppy release (it is 008.4x, yes?). Much appreciated.

:roll: OK. I haven't gone through the 20 pages (and 296 posts) that make up this thread. But the link in the first post doesn't work. It only leads to Muppy 008.3f-EN Kernel 2.6.21.7. (A fine release... I'm very impressed. I wanted to see if 008.4x would excel this version.)

Honestly: Muppy has really surprised me. And this release is fine. I'm just wondering if any thing cool/exciting/etc. is available in 008.4x. I'll let you all in on my plans!

:wink: I've begun distributing Puppy Linux to hapless Windows XP users whose systems have gotten so flaky they feel like tossing their PCs into the rubbish tip. I give them Puppy Linux as a "temporary solution" until they're ready to have their hard drives wiped and a fresh copy of XP installed.

:? Since their office suites are genrally pirated and they don't have the replacement setup discs, Puppy makes a nice, free alternative. And MUppy has certainly stood out to me.

:D So. I could read all 400 posts in this 20 page thread. But a link to the most recent release would be a relief.

:oops: I'll eventually make my way through all the posts. But I'm kinda hoping to get downloading while I'm reading.

Dingo

Re: Where do I get Muppy 008.4?

#297 Post by Dingo »

BobSongs wrote:Would someone kindly post a link to the latest Muppy release (it is 008.4x, yes?). Much appreciated.
tonight I will upload Muppy-Live-008.4c-EN.iso, meanwhile, you can try to downloading via bittorrent

http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=fdd6d6d783f73d184ff3bfc4aa70fb3484b3c6b9&f=Muppy-Live-008.4c-EN.iso.torrent link
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

BobSongs

Re: Where do I get Muppy 008.4?

#298 Post by BobSongs »

Dingo wrote:
BobSongs wrote:Would someone kindly post a link to the latest Muppy release (it is 008.4x, yes?). Much appreciated.
tonight I will upload Muppy-Live-008.4c-EN.iso, meanwhile, you can try to downloading via bittorrent

http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=fdd6d6d783f73d184ff3bfc4aa70fb3484b3c6b9&f=Muppy-Live-008.4c-EN.iso.torrent link
Excellent. Many thanks.

I do appreciate your thoughtfulness. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the link to the ISO (I'll start the torrent going).

:) There were a number of other files (gosh! I'm being greedy, yes?) that the ftp site may have offered. I downloaded a few last night, in particular:

addons_083.sfs
development_083.sfs
e17_083.sfs
games_083.sfs
kde358_083.sfs
lg3d_083.sfs
office_083.sfs

I'm working off this ISO: Muppy-mini-008.3.iso

:?: Does anyone know what's happening to this particular distribution of Puppy Linux? Is it dying due to one man carrying it out far longer than he should? Or due to a lack of funds?

I am definitely curious. Curious because this has become a favorite version. I would not be pleased to hear it died. :roll:

hayagix

#299 Post by hayagix »

BobSongs

#300 Post by BobSongs »

Excellent. Thanks for the head's up.