How to share a network partition with Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jrb

How to share a network partition with Puppy?

#1 Post by jrb »

Can I share an entire partition on my network with Puppy? I tried using pcurlftpd and symlinking into /root/ftpd but client computers looked to themselves for the link. Any solutions, pcurl, command line or other will be welcome.

jrb

Solved!

#2 Post by jrb »

I used pcurlftp which created the shared folder /root/ftpd on computer1. Then I created a new folder on my sda5 partition on computer1 called /mnt/sda5/All_Files and moved everything on the partition into that folder.

In Rox I dragged /mnt/sda5/All_Files to /root and created an absolute symlink there. I then deleted /root/ftpd and renamed the /root/All_Files symlink /root/ftpd.

When I used pcurlftp on computer2, I was able to access the /root/ftpd symlink on computer1 which gave access to all the files in /mnt/sda5/All_Files.

P.S. Should I post this in the HowTo section?

artifactz

#3 Post by artifactz »

please do. i need to share my ntfs partion video folder (165 avi,s 8) its on /mnt/hda3/video/

thank :D

artifactz

#4 Post by artifactz »

please do. i need to share my ntfs partion video folder (165 avi,s 8) its on /mnt/hda3/video/

thank :D

sorry for double posting ran into an error

jrb

#5 Post by jrb »

Hi Artifactz, Pardon me if you already know some of this, but since you ask:

When you click on pcurlftp in the networking menu it will ask if you want to setup client or server. On the machine with /mnt/hda3/video setup a server. This will automatically create the /root/ftpd folder.

If you want to share just the video folder you could open up two Rox windows one for /root and one for /mnt/hda3. Drag the video folder over to /root and when Rox asks what you want to do create an absolute symlink. Now delete /root/ftpd and then rename the /root/video symlink to /root/ftpd.

When you get on another machine you can open pcurlftpd and setup a client. Click on setup sharing in the Rox window that opens.

You should be able to scan your network and find the computer with /video on it (or enter its ip address).

When you see Shared_on-xxx.xxx.x.xxx you can click on that and you should be looking at the contents of your video folder.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

The way to get full file system access is to log in as root to ftp://serveraddress/.. and the server needs to allow root logins....there's info in this thread which uses curlftpfs like pcurlftp does

[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25537[/url

mike

jrb

#7 Post by jrb »

Thanks for the link Mike, I've just had a quick read here at work. I'll try it out when I get home.

jrb

#8 Post by jrb »

Hi Mike,

Just tried logging in to pcurlftp as root (woofwoof). It gives me access to /root on my fileserver but not to /mnt or /usr, etc. Also links in /root lead to the client machine.

Do you know of a way to access /mnt/sda5 using this technique?

jrb

#9 Post by jrb »

Ok, I figured out how to access /mnt/hda5. I added a user whose home directory is / and set up the server for password required. This gives me total access to the server including all mounted drives.

Now I'm stuck on how to get write priviliges to the shared folders.

jrb

#10 Post by jrb »

I managed to get write access for anonymous logins by changing all mentions of "chmod 755" in /root/File-Sharing/Setup-Sharing/apprun to "chmod 777."

It doesn't seem to have worked for password required logins however. Any ideas?

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

well a true root login should give read/write access......

for access to / notice the address format for curlftpfs ie

ftp://root:password@hostaddress/..

notice the /.. that means will login to one directory above root = '/'

so try root login rather than user and the modded address

mike

jrb

#12 Post by jrb »

Mike, You're right about a root login giving full write access. I tried changing root's home directory to / with tragic results. (Luckily I'm running a disposable pup_save file)
for access to / notice the address format for curlftpfs ie

ftp://root:password@hostaddress/..
This line doesn't seem to be in /root/File-Sharing/Setup-Sharing/apprun. Am I looking in the wrong place or have things changed in pcurlftp?

I have been able to add a system user:

Code: Select all

adduser -h / -S username
which gives me read/write access to / but not to subdirectories.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

oops...full line is

curlftpfs ftp://root:password@192.168.1.4/.. /root/Upstairs &> /tmp/curlftpfs.error

as an example

I am slack

mike

jrb

#14 Post by jrb »

OK Mike, I think I've got it:

1. On computer1 go to "pcurlftp -> Setup-Sharing -> Server -> password required"

2. On computer2 create /root/computer1

3. Open a console on computer2 and type:

Code: Select all

curlftpfs ftp://root:woofwoof@192.168.1.103/.. /root/computer1 &> /   tmp/curlftpfs.error
4. On computer2 open Rox to /root/computer1 and computer1's full system is open with full read/write access including any mounted partitions, i.e. /mnt/hda5

I've tried it and it works! :D

Thanks Mike, never would have figured it out without you.

Will now see about writing script to run command above and open Rox to mount point.

jrb

#15 Post by jrb »

Just a note of caution for the casual reader:

Once file sharing is setup with root login, don't delete the mountpoint, either the one you setup in /root or in /root/filesharing.

Computer2 will try to delete computer1 entirely :shock: . (Thank goodness for frugal install and pfix=ram).

Kids, don't try that at home.