Manually loaded sound module is lost at reboot. (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
wombat

Manually loaded sound module is lost at reboot. (Solved)

#1 Post by wombat »

Hi, I have an old IBM P2-350 (300PL) which has a Crystal sound chip and it is not loading a sound module. The chip is a CS4235 (on chip) when I looked in the lib/lib/hardware/sound folder I did see a CS4232 module which I copied into the root directory and loaded with insmod and the sound worked perfectly. Lsmod shows loaded OK.
When I reboot the machine the thing is lost and sound is gone. rmmod confirms no module is loading.
This is a system running off a hard drive. I originally had the problem with 1.0.6 but have now gone back to 1.0.4 (which I actually prefer) same thing.
How do I make the module reload properly?
I tried Debian (DSL) and that loads the same CS4232 module and it works perfectly.
Thanks for any suggestions.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

I think your audio chip is ISA-based, and these are not always autodetected in Linux. You just need to tell Puppy to load the right module at each bootup.

You can add "modprobe cs4232" to your personal boot script - /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
but the more conventional way of loading your module at boot is to modify /root/.etc/modules.conf0. Add this -

alias char-major-14 cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232

There's no need to copy or shift the cs4232.o module.

wombat

#3 Post by wombat »

Thankyou Tempestuous, two lines added to config0 file and problem now fixed.
My compliments.
tempestuous wrote:I think your audio chip is ISA-based, and these are not always autodetected in Linux. You just need to tell Puppy to load the right module at each bootup.

You can add "modprobe cs4232" to your personal boot script - /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
but the more conventional way of loading your module at boot is to modify /root/.etc/modules.conf0. Add this -

alias char-major-14 cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232

There's no need to copy or shift the cs4232.o module.