pcPuppyOS FINAL

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mtcorbeil

Clamav

#21 Post by mtcorbeil »

Did what you said to update with freshclam and got this error message: "Illegal instructions" without quotes.

mtcorbeil

Clamav

#22 Post by mtcorbeil »

Should have added the rest of the message: Clamav update process started at .........
main.cvd is up to date (version...etc...)
downloading daily-7111 [100%]
and then....... Illegal instruction

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't seen that before. It almost sounds like freshclam itself is corrupt. I'll look at it some more when I get some time.

Meanwhile, I've made a patch for clam_wrapper so that it will support paths with spaces. I also corrected a small bug in PET-Be-Gone.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=9723
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/so ... ne-0.2.pet
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

puppyluvr

Post didnt post?

#24 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello Pizzasgood :D

Id swear I posted a review early in May on this, but I dont see it now sooo...

Installed pcPuppyOS after about 10 minutes. I could tell this was a winner right off..
Did a full HD install on a P3 600mhz 382ram Compaq desktop. A few personal tweaks,
a couple of Browsers later and it settled in nicely. So nicely that I forgot all about it. It has been the only OS running ever since. So the other day I was on it and thought, what Puppy is this? I actually had to check!!! (It was grubbed as Linux on hda4, I actually figured it out from the backgrounds!!!)) It has run so well that I just have not had to think about it!!!
Its like "Set it and Forget it". :D :D Seriously, this one is a winner. Not a peep out of it, no
trouble, nothing!!! Installed all kinds of stuff along the way..No problem.. The kids have rebooted it to WinXP and back a few times, no sweat. Customized my grub so I will remember what Puppy I`m on!!!
Also put a reminder on the desktop!!!
To Quote Cartman....SWEET!!!
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

Good to hear it. :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

JustGreg

#26 Post by JustGreg »

I have installed pcPuppyOS (full normal Linux to hard disk partition) on my 2goPC (second generation Classmate) and it works well. It is nice to have a full feature Linux to show people.

I ran into one problem while installing using an USB CDROM. The device is a 6x CDROM with USB 1.0 interface. It took to long to copy the large sqs file. The power saving feature of the 2goPC activated and stop the install. The solution, one does a frugal install to a 1 Gigabyte SD card and use that to do the full installation to the hard drive.

The other minor installation problem was Xorg setup did not detect the 800x480 screen resolution. This is not a problem of puppy, The resolution modes are numbered differently on the 2goPC from those of the Classmate/EeePC. The solution is edit the file /etc/resolution fix. For the 800x480 screen using 16 bit color, one changes /etc/resolutionfix to"

Code: Select all

915resolution 49 800 480
The small screen does need some of the desktop items removed, otherwise, it is too cluttered. I would like to remove both the GtkBasic-Analog clock and rainlendar2 calendar from the startup. I check the icewm startup file and could not find them. What file or files starts these two applications?

I would also like to reduce the clock size of the clock displayed in the task bar by removing the seconds display (i.e. only hours:minutes). Any advice will be appreciated.

I did find a problem with WIFI networking. The USB initialization process loads the rt2750 module instead of the needed rt73. I have tried "black listing" the rt2750 module using the Boot Manager Tool. The rt2750 module still gets loaded. I have checked /etc/rc.d/modulesconfig file. The rt2750 module is listed as not to loaded. I have a work around in /etc/rc.d/local, but it is not the correct way of fixing this. I think Tempestuous has an update for the rt73 module and Puppy 3.01. I will check this, When I get it to work correctly, I will post the solution.

The above problems are minor. The pcPuppyOS is very nice. Thanks, Pizzagood for the very nice Puppy derivative. Thank you in advance for help or suggestions on configuring pcPuppyOS.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Diamond

#27 Post by Diamond »

Hello!

First,thanx for a great distro!Please don't mind,just some thoughts (and bugs)

ClamAV is not working,always showing some wrapper problem.

And finally,problem with all puppy distros,unicode problem.Actually it is problem with cyrillic letters.In Geany there is almost 100% correct,actually,there is one letter that isn't displaying correct.But with firefox,opera and office,there is more problems.In office,some cyrillic text is displaying correct,but it seems that font is "verdana".And I can't find manually that font (?!?!).The other cyrillic texts are displaying not so good.Some letters are good,some are not.Any chance of correcting this bug ?

And oppinion,any chance for some new skin :)

And any chance of hotpup in next versions of pcpuppyos ?

Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

The clock and calendar can be disabled from Start->Utilities->Toggle. The actual files that start them are in /etc/init.x/. Anything set executable inside that directory will automatically get run with the 'start' option when X starts. The 'toggle' options just toggle the executable bit and updates the menu entry for the toggle option.

The format of the taskbar clock is in /root/.icewm/preferences. There will be a format line where you can modify how the appearance will be (probably commented out to begin with, so remove any '#' on the 'TimeFormat' line).

#  Clock Time format (strftime format string)
TimeFormat="%H:%M"
@Diamond: The 'wrapper' is just a very basic GUI I threw together. The original version couldn't handle filenames with spaces, so you might want to try the modified version I posted a couple posts back. In case that doesn't work, let me know exactly what errors you get, then look at the post three before that one for directions to use ClamAV from the commandline to see if ClamAV itself is working.

I don't know anything worth knowing about fonts. Sorry.

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'skins'. Firefox themes are availible from the Firefox website. IceWM themes can be found on several places (freshmeat.org comes to mind) and are installed by extracting and placing them in /root/.icewm/themes/ (assuming they aren't in a .pet package). Most IceWM themes worth using have been posted on this forum in one place or another. GTK themes are trickier - many use a special GTK engine but pcPuppyOS only includes a couple (pixmap and smooth, if I remember right). Any GTK theme should be able to be installed to /usr/share/themes/. If you don't have their engine installed it will use the default, which usually results in just changing colors around rather than shapes of widgets. ROX-Filer icon themes can be installed to /root/.icons/. Wallpapers normally go into /usr/share/backgrounds/ but can really be used from anywhere.

I don't currently plan to make any new pcPuppyOS versions unless Friedsonjm decides to rehire me for a new one or I find enough serious bugs to warrant a new version to fix them (in which case I'd feel obligated to fix it whether paid or not).

I do plan to make a new Pizzapup this year. I want to start working on it within a week, but I won't start working very hard at all until Puppy 4.1 is released.

Diamond

#29 Post by Diamond »

by skins I mean skin for whole distro,not mozilla :)

JustGreg

#30 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks Pizzasgood for the information. It will allow me to customize pcPuppyOS for the small screen. After I finish, I will post what I did for others to use.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

nooby

#31 Post by nooby »

I'm sure that I have asked this before and then forgotten all about it.

Is this a 2.14 puppy or a Puppy301 thing?

I try to copy my menu.lst to show why I ask.
title Puppy 301 PcPuppyOS
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy301/vmlinuz PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=puppy301
vga=normal keyb=se
initrd /puppy301/initrd.gz
boot
The rootnoverify (hd0,0) is typical for 2.14 and doesn't that mean that
when I install teenpup which also is a 2.14 thingy then they will catch each
others save files?
my pup301 is named pup_save-301.2fs so that maybe protect it from being used by teenpup2008?

vg1 has suggested something that should work

but me being a noob I feel very insecure about if I manage to follow all those instruction of renaming a file from pup214R that I've downloaded and set it all up right.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

vg1

#32 Post by vg1 »

Nooby,

pcPuppyOS is based on puppy 301, not puppy 2.14. Its save_file is in a dir, teenpup will not find it Rootnoverify is not typical for p214, it's a grub thing and can be used with any version or distro.

A save_file in a dir will be found by some other p3 or p4 versions if their psubdir= is not specified. In that case all the files found will be presented for you to choose. Psubdir= is usually specified anyway so don't worry. I said more about this in the other thread on booting teenpup from a dir.

daniela132

#33 Post by daniela132 »

Hi pizzagood,
How do you install clamav and remaster this Puppy? Are you remaster from installed Puppy or remaster a Live CD? Cause I have a problem to remaster liveCD with clamav included.
Thanks a lot.

Pizzasgood

#34 Post by Pizzasgood »

I install ClamAV by downloading the source from their website (clamav.net) and compiling it. I am careful to back up the files in /usr/etc/ for clamav (clamd.conf and freshclam.conf), then to compare them with the new versions and update the new ones to include the settings I set in the old ones. The "ON_ACCESS" and "NO_ON_ACCESS" files are just duplicates of clamd.conf, one with on-access scanning enabled. That caused instability for me, which is why I have it disabled by default. Neither of those files are needed, they're just there for convenience so you can copy one over clamd.conf to change it without having to open the file and dig around to find the settings that need changing.

I don't think I used any special options when compiling, other than --prefix=/usr. I may have used others, but I don't see them written in my notes anywhere so I don't think so.

As for remastering, the remaster script in pcpuppyos is a custom version, so your error could be related to that, but without knowing what error you got I wouldn't know. I did test it, but there's always a chance that something slipped past. What went wrong? If it didn't give an error message, try running it from the commandline:

remasterpup2

daniela132

#35 Post by daniela132 »

Hi pizzasgood,

I think I have made a mistake. Today, I have search the forum and found that I must include devx_410.sfs to compile from source. But I think I will do it tommorow since I have to download it this night.

Anyway, I have another way. I think I can compile clamav in Ubuntu, and copy all 'clam' files to puppy. Can I do this? :D

Edited : No. My idea can't be used :(

PaulBx1

#36 Post by PaulBx1 »

I've run into boot problems.

This iso boots "pfix=ram" all right, but when I try booting using an encrypted (by pcpuppyos) pupsave, I get through the mount of the pupsave OK (message "successfully mounted") but then:

Loading the 'pup_301.sfs' main file...  Copying to ram... done
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
I checked the sfs file on disk against the one on the CD using md5sum. It looks good and as I said, that works with pfix=ram. I tried "loglevel=7" but no more messages appeared between the "Loading" message and the panic.

I can't recall if it is happy with an unencrypted pupsave. I will try that again and report.

<later>
Boots fine with an unencrypted pupsave. And it reliably gets a kernel panic with a dm-crypt encrypted one.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 1525, a fairly new machine.

Pizzasgood

#37 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmmm... I'll check it out later this week/weekend.

Pizzasgood

#38 Post by Pizzasgood »

It's working fine on my end. I'm not sure what would cause a difference based on encryption or no encryption. I'll dig out the boot script and examine that to see if anything sticks out.

Pizzasgood

#39 Post by Pizzasgood »

Would I be right in guessing that you were trying to use a 32-MB save file? Nothing wrong with that. But the problem is pcPuppyOS is configured so that it will automatically attempt to estabolish a network connection with dhcp, and then it will automatically attempt to update the virus definitions for ClamAV. Which appear to be ~37 MB in size.

Apparently, creating a save file when you have slightly more than the size of the file doesn't normally cause an issue. But if the file you're creating is encrypted with dmcrypt, it does cause an issue.

So there are a couple options. One is just use a larger file. Another is to disable the auto-update. The code only gets run when X is started, so if you boot with pfix=ram,nox you can boot to the commandline. Then run this command:
chmod 644 /etc/init.x/freshclam_daemon
Then you can run xorgwizard and start up X as usual, and it won't update the virus definitions unless you tell it to (menu -> utilities -> clamav, IIRC).

(In case you're wondering, the /etc/init.x/ directory works similarly to /etc/init.d/, except that it runs things when X starts instead of when Puppy boots. Actually, I think that's about the same thing as the /root/Startup/ directory that Puppy has nowadays.

PaulBx1

#40 Post by PaulBx1 »

Good guess; it was a 32M pupsave. Maybe you need to disallow this choice in pcpuppyos.

I will check a larger one in a while; going on the road soon.

Say, is the swap encrypted? Seems to me the default is no swap.

There is also some thing out there about dm-crypt being substandard if used in a particular way (without salt, or something like that). Were you aware of that? Google would turn up some stuff. I will dig later if you don't know about this.

BTW I noticed that if you have multiple pupsaves, you normally get the inquiry about which one you want. However if you leave the splash on, the inquiry is invisible and unless you realize what is going on, you just sit there forever waiting for it to boot while it is waiting for your selection.

Maybe this was mentioned earlier in this thread; I haven't read through.

Personally, I don't like splash screens. This is linux; we are supposed to see the boot process going by. Just my opinion...