Icepup 301 alpha

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
puppyluvr

Icepup 301 alpha

#1 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
This is Icepup 301:

As many of you know, Todd Richardson, the original creator of Icepup, a 2.xx series minimalist Pup, has decided to concentrate his efforts elsewhere, and offered the Icepup name for developement. As I have always liked the name, I have taken it over...
Icepup 301 is a completely different thing. Based on FF301, and well equipped at 130mb, it is neither small nor minimalist..
This is the Alpha release, for testing, and includes:
Icewm, with custom theme
Icecat, with the "Arctic Glow" theme, and Forecastbar and Cooliris Previews add-on`s installed
Gdesklets
Mplayer
Textmaker
Fotox
Gslapt and Petch
Cpu Power Mode
3DCC
And a few other surprises!!!
As this is an Alpha, a few bugs may arise, especially with Icecat
It is available as Icepup301alpha.iso, along with the md5sum, from the meowplanet link in my signature below.
Any feedback/test results are always appreciated. :D
.......Jay........aka Puppyluvr........

@ The problems with Icecat are being caused by the "Arctic Glow" theme I installed.. :oops: Please disable it to correct any problems...Thx...
Last edited by puppyluvr on Sun 01 May 2011, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

bezeen

#2 Post by bezeen »

If you started a new icepup - why not 4.1?

I really like your desktop (gdesklets) but i think puppy 4.1 has some advantage over 3.01...

btw - Icepup 3.01 alpha is looking good!

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

puppyluvr :

Love that bear pic.
Can i download it from somewhere?..........thanks.

Chris

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

cthisbear wrote:Can i download it from somewhere?..........thanks.
Yes by reading carefully the initial post. :wink:
Sorry, just realized you were talking about the beer, not the distro. :oops:
Last edited by Béèm on Fri 17 Oct 2008, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

puppyluvr

#5 Post by puppyluvr »

@cthisbear,
Cute, aint he. His name is Flocke. You can google him, and another named Knut, for some great polar bear cubs pics. :D

@bezeen,
Yes, I agree, 4.01 has many advantages, and features, over 3.01..
However, its being very new, Ive had little time to work with / test it yet.
I have not yet set up the infrastructure for building with 4.01, heck, Ive barely gotten to test it!!
Actually, the Developers Edition will be my next toy, and my "roadmap" to 4.01..

OTOH, I have a complete dev. setup for 3.01, a ton of local packages/libs, and a tried and true 3.01 base to build upon. My other 3.01 Puppy, Transitions, has proven very stable and takes everything I throw at it in stride...
I think we have a lot more yet to get from 3.01..Oh, Ill eventually give in to temptation, and try a 4.01 built, probably from unleashed, but I`ll have to D/L a lot of new packages!!!
Meanwhile, I wanted to build Icepup from the "tried and true", and that with which Im the most familiar...
Ive had great results from it so far, once I change the Icecat theme, and hope to built it into a release people can get some use and enjoyment out of...
Remember, it is still an alpha to me....
THX... :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

Just finished a full install on my virtual (qemu) PC. It runs very well.
But there is a serious show stopper for international users.
There is no national keyboard support.
What do I do with my Belgian keyboard?
Time savers:

puppyluvr

#7 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello Béèm,
Although I havnt ever tested it , nor would I know if it was correct anyhow, but the keyboard wizard shows Belgium as one of the available layouts.

If it doesnt work properly, Ill find out how to get it straightened out..
Last edited by puppyluvr on Fri 17 Oct 2008, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

.. problems with Icecat are being caused by the "Arctic Glow" theme I installed.. Embarrassed Please disable it to correct any problems
How?!

Nice project which is going to appeal to many.

The display at 800x600 is seriously displaced. I suspect that, contrary to the protestations of M. tt**xxx, this is the default resolution used by most punters and will continue to be so in perpetuity for all the reasons rehearsed many, many times before {recall that BK had contemplating using a 640x480 default at one time, which probably accurately reflects the initial display for most folk looking at derivatives on their box-under-the-bed}.
And that brings us to your crime-for-today. You have violated the rules of this board by exceeding the permitted maximum sizing for your pictures! Naughty boy. Please correct.

Some of your system tray icons don't show text upon hovering.
Singularly unfortunate that you chose to offer a 'Power Off' icon so prominently. We all know that one of the major features of this genre is that Power Off doesn't on so many systems! Maybe you are going to be the guy to fix this once and for all?

But I like it. 4.1 should be fantastique.

puppyluvr

#9 Post by puppyluvr »

@Sage,
IDK, but it is the theme...If I re-enable it, Icecat will freeze up or just shut down...It seems to be related to Flash websites, and I thought it was strange, as I had tested it thoroughly..The only thing I had changed was the theme, so I removed it..Bingo..Flash websites all day long, 2 or 3 tabs worth, trying to kill it, and its still going. :D .Im relieved, as I really thought Icecat was a great Browser for Icepup...

I thought 800/600 was the max, but no matter..Just wanted to show Beem what/where I had found..As soon as he responds, I`ll remove them anyways...

Thanks for the tip about the tray icons, Ill check it out..
As for the Poweroff button, Yes, 3.01 sometimes has shutdown probs, and on some machines, (Dell) wont shutdown at all, or leaves the user at the CLI or a blank screen every time..To save my ex dozers from the CLI "reboot or poweroff", I put a script on the desktop to run wmpoweroff directly.. Full shutdown in 15 seconds on my machine, including a 5 sec "sleep" for Arnold to say goodbye...Plus, it made it comvenient to include a "poweroff" sound... :D

Béèm

#10 Post by Béèm »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello Béèm,
Although I havnt ever tested it , nor would I know if it was correct anyhow, but the keyboard wizard shows Belgium as one of the available layouts.
Pictures deleted.
If it doesnt work properly, Ill find out how to get it straightened out..
I have to say sorry :oops:
But I am so used to have the keyboard selection at a new boot, that I never had to go into the keyboard selection manually, so I didn't think of it.
I did now and it's ok.
Another lesson learned.
Time savers:

Todd

#11 Post by Todd »

As many of you know, Todd Richardson, the original creator of Icepup, a 2.xx series minimalist Pup, has decided to concentrate his efforts elsewhere, and offered the Icepup name for developement.
I really love what you have done!

Todd

Béèm

#12 Post by Béèm »

Some more comments.
1 - text appearing when hovering over:
No problems for the system tray icons. They all show text.
However for the series of icons above that, only connect shows text. Well in fact of the whole desktop connect is the only one.

2 - On next boot the clock was wrong, altho selected correctly previously. Had to go to select timezone via the menu, it was still selected correctly (Paris) and upon exit my clock showed the correct local time.

3 - Altho I can select the weather for my town (Brussels) on the website, entering this code in the desktop applet has no effect.
Not a big deal, but I would like to see my weather here.
Changing from Fahrenheit to Celsius doesn't stick between boots.

4 - clicking on Welcome to Icepup gives a file doesn't exist/can't access it message.

Will continue exploring.
Time savers:

puppyluvr

#13 Post by puppyluvr »

@Béèm,
Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.. :D
1 - text appearing when hovering over:
Boy am I glad you pointed that out!! I forgot to "install" my custom icon set!! Not only is it not linked to the defaults, (hence no hover), but I never even put them where they belong, and they are still in a folder in root!!! :oops: It will be fixed!!
On next boot the clock was wrong,
IDK if it has something to do with that, but I forgot to mention that Icepup boots acpi=off by default, to keep from smoking laptops...You might try changing it to "on" or "force"...
Although my Wifes Dell has no prob. , we have 3 Compaq lappys, and they all will burn down in about 10 minutes if acpi is left on. IDK how the CPU scaler works with acpi=off, but it does, and well...APM maybe? Keeps the Compaq much cooler... :D

3 -
Altho I can select the weather for my town (Brussels) on the website, entering this code in the desktop applet has no effect.
Did you try entering your Postal Zip Code??
clicking on Welcome to Icepup gives a file doesn't exist/can't access it message.
Works for me..Live CD in ram...Hmmm..
The message is on the top level,"/", and is called Welcome.htm"..Is it there on yours??
That is the tip of an Iceberg in progress, as I intend to include a linked local doc with basic instructions for many items, and Puppy in general....

Thanks, and keep exploring!!! :D
..............Jay...............[/quote]

Béèm

#14 Post by Béèm »

Can you decode for me IDK?

Clock.
My PC is a virtual one. (qemu) Nevertheless I will see with acpi.

Weather
If I put my zip code it doesn't work.
The zip code is a Belgian one not a US one.
I can go the the weather site and select Brussels, Belgium. I can see a code something like EUR|BE|BE003|BRUSSELS, but when I enter this, no joy.
Does that location field accept only digits?

Welcome
No Welcome.htm in /
But there is one in /usr/share/examples/text
Time savers:

Béèm

#15 Post by Béèm »

Did forget another thing.
The power off isn't correctly done.
When pushed I get the panel to save or not, but in a full install there is no save to do to a pup_save file.

Normally there is a message something like already saved
Send signal to the processes or the like
Then the PC powers of or there is a message system halted.

When I take no save, the PC I think some init script executes and I get the desktop again.

I tried the acpi=on and boot freezes at trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)...

EDIT
Must have been a coincidence. I did set acpi=on again and boot went ok. But still at power off I get the panel saying I booted from a CD and I am proposed to save.
Time savers:

puppyluvr

#16 Post by puppyluvr »

@Béèm,
...............( Sorry, IDK = I Dont Know)...........
The Poweroff button is just calling wmpoweroff..and works well on the live boot and a Frugal install, so it may be related to the Full install.. I do not have my spare partition, at the moment, (as it is tied up by Unleashed), for a Full install, but I will do one in VBox and see if I experience the same things...I have Icepup as a Frugal (using it now) and test from it and the live CD. As soon as I can clear a partition on one of my machines, I will do a Full install as well, and test it too...I really appreciate the clear feedback, as one can only test so many variables alone...
In a full-hd installation of Puppy, the first script that executes is 'rc.sysinit', so Ill start there!!
As the Poweroff script calls Puppy`s own wmpoweroff, this may not be Icepup related, but 3.01 in general...IDK..
As for the weather, I researched and the code for Brussels is BEXX0005, but it does nothing...Zip Code is a no-go as well.....Will continue checking....
No Welcome.htm in /
But there is one in /usr/share/examples/text
Since it was the first and only html made on Textmaker, I guess it saved a copy there!! Cool, but doesnt explain where the original went...The original is in html so I can add links/graphics later on...
There it is...From a live CD, pfix=ram boot...
Same with Frugal install...Must be (again) related to the Full install..???
Sorry I have not run Full install tests yet, but ASAP..
I forgot that it does affect a few things in unexpected ways..

Oh yes, I almost forgot,
boot freezes at trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)...
:oops: Damn, thought Id cleared that...Type xwin, even with no prompt, or enter for a prompt first.......I`ll clean that up too...
Funny, because when I tested Icepup on my Wifes laptop, (Dell Inspiron 1300) I didnt even notice that it auto-connected.. If the ethernet isnt plugged in at boot it shouldnt do that..My desktop (P3 600/384 ram) is on usb wireless, (rt2570) and didnt do it...
I will try it on a P266 w/64mb ram /wireless tomorrow....
I need more computers!!! I wish VBox/Qemu/VMWare allowed more specific system settings, ie..CPU/Video/Wireless, like card by card, but that is a lot to ask!!!
Also, what works virtually, doesnt always work in real life...
But still at power off I get the panel saying I booted from a CD and I am proposed to save.
If not the Full install, could this be related to running it in a virtual machine???
I will reboot later to a Pup that has VBox and Qemu and check it out...
Thanks again for the very helpful observations.... :D
..................Jay...................

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

I forgot to "install" my custom icon set!! Not only is it not linked to the defaults, (hence no hover), but I never even put them where they belong, and they are still in a folder in root!!!
These are the ones I alluded to.
I need more computers!!!
How many? Buyer collects! I fear you have a 'bad' selection of HW, esp. for a putative developer. For too many years, Mr AverageAmerican has been conned into buying proprietary cr*p instead of visiting their wonderful mail order Calif. store at newegg.com who will sell you a bundle of bog std. kit that observes all the international standards at half the cost. Dell & Compaq are two obvious brands to avoid! Of course, following such advice may leave you with the no-power-off PowerOff if you use Puppy...

Some of the other issues raised, eg weather/postcodes, etc., above may have been solved by Mark in his Muppy? PM?

puppyluvr

#18 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Béèm,
I inputted the code, restarted the desklet, and Viola:
Weather in Brussels.!!! :D

puppyluvr

#19 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Yes, I wish I had more hardware to chose from, but we make do with what we have, eh? I can get these older Compaq lappy`s cheap, and Im poor, so...( I swear the Wife bought the Dell behind my back..!!!)

Béèm

#20 Post by Béèm »

Heya,
Thanks for IDK, IDNK :wink:

Power off solved
I suddenly remembered other users had the same in puppy.
It was an issue of pupmode.
For some reason I have pupmode=5, while it should be 2
I changed 5 to 2 and all is well now.
So the only enigma which remains is why in the first place pupmode wasn't set to 2
I have a puppy 4.10 install and the puppy installer did put pupmode=2

Welcome.htm
I simply copied the file to /
So it's ok now, but the reason for not being in / isn't clear then.

The freeze on dhcp
I found out it's not really a freeze and when typing xwin I got the desktop.
I had it once more and now the issue has disappeared for no apparent reason.

Spreadsheet
Is it on purpose that a spreadsheet program is left out?
Well, by adding OpenOffice it's all there.

Webbrowser Dillo
Are you aware that a new version of Dillo is out?
A pet is made and I installed it in 4.10
It's really much more performant the the other ones, SeaMonkey, FireFox and Opera.
Maybe a good addition as you Dillo already.

24 hour clock
In jwm I know how to set the clock display to 24 hour.
In icewm I don't see where I can do this.
I didn't find configuration files for the system tray.

Locales
I wanted to select the locale for Belgium.
I have to fetch them from internet first, but nothing is getting downloaded. The script say 'no connection to internet' altho I am listening to internet radio and I can browse the internet.
Time savers: