chihuahua wifi probs

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gratefuldag

chihuahua wifi probs

#1 Post by gratefuldag »

evening all! was recommended over to this section regarding my query using chihuahua 3.06, as it was suggested good for older systems (samsung laptop, 64mb ram, wooo!) however, live cd is working but will not let me log on to my sky broadband wifi, can't think why not, anyone any ides? and is this the best distro for my machine (intel celeron, 9gb hd, no burner, very old!) any help be appreciated, otherwise i might cry! would like to full install, i really hate xp!

davids45

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
You probably need to feed the experts (not me) more details.
How far do you get - is your card active - type iwconfig into a console and see?
What is the encryption of your wireless network - WEP or WPA?
What errors/messages do you get from the Wizard when you try to log on?
You can log on via XP with this computer?
Good luck,
David S.

gratefuldag

#3 Post by gratefuldag »

g'day back to ya! yeah, works with xp, but so slow its killing me! device is recognised (edimax usb wifi device, one of the few that have linux drivers!) it reads the network, finds the SSID but when it asks for the network key, it replies with a dialog box that says the shred network key must be between 8 and 63 alphanumeric characters in length. now, my key is 8 capital letters, which should do the trick, but it keps telling me its failed to connect, tricky huh? the cdoing is WPA/TPIK which is seemingly ok to use, so i can't figure t out. i find that a lot of linux develepment does not take into account its UK usage, which although minimal and backward, i believe would increase if we had more support around our horribly oversubscribed broadband utlities! oh well, gotta keep at it, any more help would be great, its xp until i can make the switch, and i want that permanent! cheers, GD