Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 29 Mar 2017, 09:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse 3.01g Gold ISO 353M, Mariner SFS 150M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 8 [109 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 01:21    Post subject:  Lighthouse 3.01g Gold ISO 353M, Mariner SFS 150M
Subject description: KDE 3.5.10 K3b1.05 Java6u7 Firefox3 GIMP Azureus Mplayer Kscreensavers

Newer version 4.1.2 Beta 4 Released: please post any comments and screenshots at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=276639#276639

LighthousePup-3.01g.iso Gold md5: 9eb03208a3635a121944f374c6199d81
lhpup.org/download.htm or puppylinux.igsobe.com or puppylinux.ca
(Optional Mariner SFS add-on package for LighthousePup-3.01g--details below screenshots)

Please backup your pup_save.2fs first, run in 'clean boot' or 'frugal' install. I don't recommend a full hard drive install, unless you have a specific reason, e.g., kernel work.

2008-11-15 LighthousePup-3.01g.iso - (Gold release)
Much faster shutdown with more feedback
During startup SFS add-on packs are displayed as they are mounted
Sane scanner backends & frontends
Firefox 3.04, Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
xwin fix for power cut/unintended shutdown
KDE Log Out panel now has a slideshow background
IceWM fixes:
. Glipper now docks in icetray
. kmix KDE mixer now runs in icetray
. IceWM menus restored to traditional tall layout with smaller icons

If you already have a copy of 3.01c.iso:
1. Download the small xdelta3 update LighthousePup-3.01c-3.01g.iso.xdelta3
2. Place it in the same directory as your LighthousePup-3.01c.iso
3. If you're running 3.01c, (which has xdelta3) open a terminal in that directory and type
Code:
xdelta3 -d LighthousePup-3.01c-3.01g.iso.xdelta3
(If not and you don't have xdelta3 already, install this .pet: http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/xdelta-3t.pet)
4. Verify the md5sum on your new LighthousePup-3.01g.iso

[Update 11/17:] LHP-Mar-02_301.sfs Mariner SFS 150M add-on package for LighthousePup-3.01c

Mariner ver 2_301 fixed Amarok bug, added Xpenguins

Amarok 1.4.10, kdeutils-3.5.10 w/SuperKaramba & LiquidWeather++ desktop applet autostarts in KDE, Gslapt 0.4.0 (latest version) Slackware Package Management, GKrellM System Monitor, Opera 9.62 web browser, Tuxtype2 fun way to improve typing skills

> 200 screensavers from Xscreensavers 5.07 and rss-glx_0.8.1 (Really Slick Screensavers)

> 75 games including Abuse, Armagetron Advanced, Descent2, Emilia Pinball, Frogger, Mahjongg3D, TuxPuck, Tux Racer, X-Tux and 35 in kdegames-3.5.10

BZFlag 2.0.10 "Never Say Never" (Battle Zone capture the Flag) 3D first person tank simulation

Change Log v3.01c ISO
Previous version would not boot on machines with 256M RAM--"out of memory" error fixed by editing the init script to account for a larger main file.

Presence or absence of a linux-swap partition is displayed during boot sequence, and a tip to create one with GParted if swap is not present.

Boot screen now shows whenever e2fsck disk check is running.

Faster boot: Similar to Puppy 4.1, by default pup_301c_lighthouse.sfs is not copied into RAM, regardless of how much RAM there is--unless 'pfix=copy' is specified. To enable copy to RAM in Lighthouse press 'c' (or 'lhp pfix=copy') at the boot menu. Automated test for sufficient free RAM prior to copying. When copy is enabled, both space needed and free RAM are displayed during boot.

Press 'h' <Enter> at boot menu to boot from primary hard disk, starting existing OS, e.g. Win XP or other Linux.

KDE updated to v3.5.10. Flash plugin updated to v10.0r12. Real player 11 and plugins updated

Added GtkPod, Gnomad2 for Ipod/Iriver, Xsane, Iscan scanning software

Fixed odd checkbox behavior of default Gtk theme Panther-LHP

Changed cursor theme from Chameleon SkyBlue Small to Regular

RAM Requirements:
with linux-swap partition: at least 128M
w/o swap partition: 192M
with swap & copy to RAM to free up CD drive: 384M
w/o swap & w/copy to RAM: 448M.
Note: These are approximate. You can also free up the CD drive with a frugal install, or with frugal and a GRUB bootloader configuration.

Updates from Beta7
glibc2.7, K3b 1.0.5, Java 1.6u7, Firefox3.03, Azureus3.0.5.2, Pburn-2.0.9, Fotoxx 5.3.1, gtkam, Juk Jukebox & Music Manager, KScreensavers, Noatun and modified Muppymplayer

* [Edit Oct 14] Replaced Xload with SystemMonitor now fully in the tray--CPU, mem & swap in one trayapp
* Default GTK theme (Panther-LHP) and new KDE color scheme improve consistency and visibility across applications
* Streamlined switching between three included window managers KDE, IceWM and JWM
* LHP-LookNFeel panel--select from Kcontrol, Keyboard & LocaleChooser, reset ROX globicons and KMenu: reset/edit arrange/edit config
* Modified MU-GTK-Themechooser offers to adjust ROX-Filer colors when changing from light to dark or dark to light themes.
* Crystal translucent window decorations in KDE
* Streamtuner updated for Shoutcast
* Flash video converter scripts in ROX context menu via ffmpeg: flv2mpg, flv2avi, flv2mp3

Known Issues
No automount (no HAL) in KDE; I use Pupmount
Help files and language support are minimal, though improved a bit from previous Lighthouse editions.
Conky hides KDE icons when 'Show icons on desktop ' is enabled. I use the Quicklauncher and hide desktop icons anyway.
Logging off under xvesa sometimes drops to command line; just type 'xwin' and hit <Enter>

Thank you for your contributions and inspiration: Smile Bligh, macadavy, MU, Barry Kauler, Pizzasgood, Caneri, ttuuxxx, Wolf Pup, Whodo, Barburo, Nathan Fisher, Lighthouse & Puppy alpha / beta testers, developers and many others' feedback on the forum.
-TazOC

Last edited by tazoc on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 21:01; edited 28 times in total
Bligh

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 07:58    Post subject:  

I am posting from it now, running from the cd and listening to some tunes with Juk. Looks Good.
Cheers
Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2008, 12:09    Post subject:  

Hi Tazoc,

I have another mirror for you...this one is high speed and resides in Florida USA.

http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux/tpp/Lighthouse/iso-3/

If you can please use the Florida server for mirroring as puppylinux.ca has nearly used all it's bandwidth for the month.

Best,
Eric

tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2008, 19:10    Post subject: New mirror  

Eric,
Yes no problem, in the first post I changed the download link from puppylinux.ca to igsobe.com and I will do the same on my website.
TazOC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2008, 20:56    Post subject:  

tazoc,

Thank you for this great Lighthouse program with KDE 3.5.9.

So far it has run fine on my system, however, I'd like to add a KDE dependent program, Bibletime to it. Using Gslapt, I tried to install Bibletime but it fails to install due to a missing file (glibc-solibs) required by the clucene-core. Any ideas? Edit: located glibc-solibs and placed it in dir /var/log/packages, this allowed me to install Bibletime, but when it ran it had little squares in place of text. I tried to reinstall it and Gslapt would not restart, upon reboot, Lighthouse trashed the save file. These programs don't like the beta.

I really like the feature that you've included that places newly installed programs on the panel once they are excuted.

Jim
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct 2008, 01:47    Post subject:  

Jim1911,
Thank you for trying out Lighthouse and for your feedback. Bibletime has slew of dependencies and I've never tried to install it. Gslapt, being a Slackware tool, (not designed for Puppy), can leave your system in an unusable state. That is one reason I did not include it this go around. (Although Puppy aims for binary compatibility with Slackware, the differences are significant for certain packages. If it were fully compatible, I imagine it would be more like Slackware than Puppy!) I might add Lighthouse does not include the full KDE, only selected packages. Full KDE would add significant size and complications to LighthousePup.

I always reboot with option 'puppy pfix=ram', and then make a backup of my pup_save file--prior to installing anything risky/unusual. Even a few .pups and .pets packaged on an earlier/later version can cause problems. Installing Slackware or Debian packages on Puppy is not straightforward, but with a lot of searching, experience, and sometimes a little luck it can work. But not always.

Now back to Bibletime, here's a search that sheds some light on other's efforts: http://puppylinux.org/home/search and enter Bibletime in the box on the lower left-hand side. This page at debian.org lists (some of) the dependencies http://packages.debian.org/lenny/bibletime

ttuuxxx posted on the Puppy forum here Posted: Fri 13 Jun 2008, 13:18 Post subject:
Hi Guys
"Well I was building a kde version of bibletime, What a task that was, Anyways I went to kdelook and there was MuseScore once again... "
So you might pm him to ask whether he was able to put together a working .pet for Puppy 3.01 that you might try." I have my hands full right now or I might give it a shot right away. I'll let you know if I get it working at some point.
-TazOC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct 2008, 17:23    Post subject:  

tazoc

Thanks for the info on Bibletime, however, I've been running it successfully with Mu's KDE 3.5.8 sfs running with all dingo 4 versions. Apparently, some of the missing KDE components in Lighthouse keeps it from running properly.

I've had no problem with Gslapt instability using 4.0-4.1, you might reconsider it for Lighthouse. I understand that it's worked fine in other 3.01 derivatives.

Additional problems with your beta that I've found are that with some applications ie. Bootmanager and Open Office 3, a default checkmark cannot be changed. For instance, in bootmanager, the checkmark “Ignore above user selection, load all with “_301” in filename” cannot be changed. Also. the menu may or may not pick up added applications ie Openoffice 3.0 sfs was not picked up, however some pet installations worked fine.

Your new beta has some outstanding features, thanks for your fine work.

Jim
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct 2008, 21:39    Post subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
tazoc

Thanks for the info on Bibletime, however, I've been running it successfully with Mu's KDE 3.5.8 sfs running with all dingo 4 versions. Apparently, some of the missing KDE components in Lighthouse keeps it from running properly.
Interesting, There certainly are significant differences between LHP3.01b7 and Puppy 4.0 / 4.1. Have you succeeded with Bibletime on Muppy 008 or Puppy 3.01? If you find a lib or package I'm missing, that is present in MU's SFS, I'd like to know about it.
Quote:
I've had no problem with Gslapt instability using 4.0-4.1, you might reconsider it for Lighthouse. I understand that it's worked fine in other 3.01 derivatives.
I will keep that in mind, however in your previous post you said "Lighthouse trashed the save file" after using Gslapt, so it could be that it is not compatible with Lighthouse, or that it did something differently this time around. If I'm not mistaken MU and others have warned of possible risks with Gslapt on Puppy. Although MU has some exclusions set up to minimize the risk, it accesses Slackware repos, not Puppy ones, right?
Quote:
Additional problems with your beta that I've found are that with some applications ie. Bootmanager and Open Office 3, a default checkmark cannot be changed. For instance, in bootmanager, the checkmark “Ignore above user selection, load all with “_301” in filename” cannot be changed. Also. the menu may or may not pick up added applications ie Openoffice 3.0 sfs was not picked up, however some pet installations worked fine.
Please look at that Bootmanager “Ignore above user selection" again. With the Panther GTK Theme, I noticed that the checks stay there, but instead change color when you click--clear is unchecked, blue is checked. If that is confusing, switch to the 'Default' theme in MU-Gtkthemechooser, and see if it works better. If the check still won't 'uncheck' let me know. I'll try to hack the theme as well so that the checks do clear as well as the color. I'm currently running the new OpenOffice-3.0.sfs and for me all the apps appear in Lost & Found, same as with previous versions. I just use KDE Menu edit to move them to the Office folder in KMenu.
Quote:
Your new beta has some outstanding features, thanks for your fine work.Jim
I appreciate that; your comments will make it better.
TazOC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct 2008, 23:05    Post subject:  

tazoc

Quote:
Have you succeeded with Bibletime on Muppy 008 or Puppy 3.01? If you find a lib or package I'm missing, that is present in MU's SFS, I'd like to know about it.

Bibletime installed with Gslapt works fine with Muppy 008. I also used Gslapt to install Bibletime with KDE 3.5.8 on 4.0/4.1. I have no idea what the differences are between KDE 3.5.8 , KDE 3.5.10 in Muppy, and KDE 3.5.9 in Lighthouse and determining the difference is beyond my skill level. There was some lib missing in an early Muppy beta that Mark added during the beta phase so that Bibletime would install correctly. Bibletime did install in Lighthouse, but only had little squares instead of text. The installation did not state any missing dependencies. Sadly, the save file was trashed when I logged out. I tried several times with same result.
Quote:
Although MU has some exclusions set up to minimize the risk, it accesses Slackware repos, not Puppy ones, right?

I believe you are correct.
Quote:
I noticed that the checks stay there, but instead change color when you click--clear is unchecked, blue is checked.

Unchecked does have a clear color, that also true with OO3, and yes it is confusing to still have the check mark.
Quote:
I'm currently running the new OpenOffice-3.0.sfs and for me all the apps appear in Lost & Found, same as with previous versions.

I'm using the same OO3 sfs, however my menu does not show Lost and Found. I am able to get OO3 applications to work by dragging the desktop icons from usr/share/applications to the panel. Possibly, I have a corrupt iso, will download again and let you know.

EDIT: Downloaded again and no change on the Lost and Found items. However, SUCCESS, I successfully installed gslapt_0.319a.pet and Bibletime by following the following procedures. 1. Started with frugal installation of Lighthouse 2. Created a save file 3. Rebooted and selected the OO3 sfs (this was to check out previous mentioned problem). 4. Rebooted, and then copied the following files from var/log/packages of a KDE 3.5.8 2fs that had a successful installation of Bibletime. (glibc-solibs-25-i486-4afx, kdelibs-3.5.9-i486-4) These were placed in a newly created dir var/log/packages. 5. Installed gslapt_03.19a.pet 6. Updated gslapt. 7. Selected and installed Bibletime.

Not only was the gslapt and Bibletime installation successful, but Lost and Found showed up correctly on the menu with OO3 icons. (This was probably due to the new kdelibs-3.5.9-i486 that was added to the packages dir.) Both gslapt and Bibletime appear very stable in the Lighthouse environment. (See attached screenshot.)

Thanks again for a fine product.

Jim
tazoc

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct 2008, 04:11    Post subject: LHP3.01b7-1CheckBoxPatch  

Quote:
Unchecked does have a clear color, that also true with OO3, and yes it is confusing to still have the check mark.
Here's a small .pet patch to fix that checkbox bug. I didn't realize how simple the fix was. A little GIMPing in Lighthouse was all it took. The patch simply updates a couple of small images in the Panther-LHP theme. It will also be included in the next ISO and xdelta updates. I recommend installing the patch in and only in Lighthouse3.01b7.
Quote:
SUCCESS, I successfully installed gslapt_0.319a.pet and Bibletime by...
Hey, good job! Nice screenshot, too. Thank you for relating how you did it. I will examine those packages and try to include them in the next version.
-TazOC
LHP3.01b7-1CheckBoxPatch.pet
Description  Patch for LighthousePup 3.01b7 checkbox bug
pet

Download 
Filename  LHP3.01b7-1CheckBoxPatch.pet 
Filesize  1.96 KB 
Downloaded  692 Time(s) 

Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct 2008, 12:04    Post subject:  

tazoc

I'm very happy that gslapt and Bibletime finally work in Lighthouse and that you are considering including them. I've also installed the latest Pfind and Opera which I prefer to use, they work fine.

Your .pet patch to fix that checkbox bug worked.

Looking forward to your next release,
Jim
Barburo

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct 2008, 13:10    Post subject:  

Hi Tazoc,
I've been away for a week or so - just catching up with things.
Thanks for including my requests in b7.
I have it up and running with most of my customizations applied.
Will let you know if I find anything that doesn't work for me.
Great new theme in KDE and your look and feel app is very useful.
I agree with your comments about gslapt possibly wrecking puppy - it happened to me, so now I always back up.
B.
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct 2008, 03:34    Post subject: Update: LighthousePup-3.01c.iso Final Release  

It's here! See beginning of thread or http://lhpup.org for release notes, downloads and more screenshots.

Coming soon... a new Mariner SFS with Amarok1.4.10, KDE Games, KDE Utilities, Gslapt Package Manager0.4.0 from ttuxxx and more than 200 screensavers...

Thank you for your contributions and inspiration: Smile Bligh, macadavy, MU, Barry Kauler, Pizzasgood, Caneri, ttuuxxx, Wolf Pup, Barburo, Nathan Fisher, Lighthouse & Puppy alpha / beta testers, developers and many others' feedback on the forum.

Take care,
TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 17:26    Post subject: Accidental double post  

Last edited by Barburo on Thu 30 Oct 2008, 21:32; edited 1 time in total
Barburo

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 17:27    Post subject: LH3.01c Feedback  

Hi TaZoc
Thanks for the new 3.01c - followed your instructions to use the xdelta3 method and the md5sum checked out perfectly.
A few observations:
- I see that you have gone back to using an applications menu in iceWM that is similar to the LH2.15 one rather than the 3.01a7 version that more closely mimicked regular puppy. Any reason?
- An excellent set of applications included in 3.01c Final, and I'm looking forward to trying out your forthcoming Mariner SFS pack.
- I like your improvements to the messages during boot. I would really like a simple message about which SFS files are being included when the unionfs is being created - so that you know without having to hunt in menus what has been included. I wonder whether it's simple or complicated to do.

A possible small problem:
I'm having a strange time with click to focus. In 3.01c made my usual changes to "ClicktoFocus" and "FocusOnAppRaise" in the iceWM preferences file and I found that I could not change the focus by clicking on the main body area of a window - but only by clicking the title bar or the edge of the frame. The window focus seems to follow the pointer, but the window is not raised until the title bar or edge is clicked.

I booted LH3.01a7 to check and yes, in that version clicking anywhere in a window changes the focus. So ... I copied the entire files for both iceWM "preferences" and "prefoverride" files from 3.01a7 into 3.01c.
Result - focus still follows the pointer, and I'm still unable to raise the window unless I click on the title bar or the edge. Any possible explanation for this? It's sort of a small point but affects the way I work.
I also checked 3.01b7 and it doesn't work there either.

Here's the part of the preferences file with the relevant settings:
Quote:
# Auto raise windows after delay
AutoRaise=0 # 0/1

# Focus windows by clicking
ClickToFocus=1 # 0/1
# Focus windows when application requests to raise
FocusOnAppRaise=0 # 0/1
# when FocusOnAppRaise=0
RequestFocusOnAppRaise=1
# Raise windows when focused
RaiseOnFocus=1 # 0/1