PET-Be-Gone v0.4

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

#21 Post by Pizzasgood »

By definition, a full install does not use a pup_save.2fs file. So I'm unsure what you have. It's possible that you have both a full install and a non-full install sharing the same drive.

You can check what you're using by opening the file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE and checking the 'PUPMODE' variable. If it's on mode 2 you're running a full install. If it's on mode 12 you're on a normal non-full install (could be frugal or live-cd + save file). If it's on mode 13 you have a non-full install running in "flash preservation mode" (all edits occurring during a session are stored in ram and copied to the drive periodically and on shutdown).

What the applet actually measures depends on how you're using Puppy, and to be honest I'm not confident I know what it shows. I usually have Conky installed and the applet disabled. In general, the applet will show how much storage space you have in the normal file system. When Puppy hasn't been installed and there are no save files, it shows ram. When you have a full hd install, it shows the space on that partition. When you have a normal frugal install or live-cd + save file (mode 12), it shows the space remaining in your save file. I don't know what it shows for mode 13, because in that case you're limited long-term by the space in the save file, but in the short term by ram, since that's where your changes for the current session are held.

As for what to remove, that can be tricky. The big things under the categories you mentioned would be Gnumeric, Mtpaint, Sylpheed, and Inkscapelite. Assuming you don't want audio or word processing, you can also dump Gxine, Alsa, Abiword, goffice, xine-lib, libvorbis, libsndfile, libogg, libmad, mplayer_codecs_basic, and ffmpeg. There are lots more, these are just the first ones I came up with, and probably the largest.

You can also drop libgphoto2 if you don't want to use digital cameras, and cups if you don't want printing. You probably don't need pidgin either - that's a chat program.

If you aren't picky about the browser you could also dump seamonkey and replace it with something smaller like dillo, hv3, links or one of the other ones I'm forgetting.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jukingeo

#22 Post by jukingeo »

Pizzasgood wrote:By definition, a full install does not use a pup_save.2fs file. So I'm unsure what you have. It's possible that you have both a full install and a non-full install sharing the same drive.
I DO have a pup_save file. I know that for sure because I had to increase it's size this past weekend. But I do know that I did do a full install.
When Puppy hasn't been installed and there are no save files, it shows ram. When you have a full hd install, it shows the space on that partition. When you have a normal frugal install or live-cd + save file (mode 12), it shows the space remaining in your save file.
The latter is what I have. The little purple box DID increase in number when I altered the size of my pup_save file.
As for what to remove, that can be tricky. The big things under the categories you mentioned would be Gnumeric, Mtpaint, Sylpheed, and Inkscapelite.
Is there a link, a site, or a thread that explains all the programs functions in a short paragraph or two so this way I could evaluate what I need and what I don't need.
Assuming you don't want audio or word processing, you can also dump Gxine, Alsa, Abiword, goffice, xine-lib, libvorbis, libsndfile, libogg, libmad, mplayer_codecs_basic, and ffmpeg. There are lots more, these are just the first ones I came up with, and probably the largest.
I actually want Puppy for sound and possibly a DAW based project. I currently was turned on to Puppy because of a sound project...specifically a full virtual pipe organ controller using JOrgan. The idea that Puppy fit on a USB flash memory appealed to me as I can move back and forth between machines.
You can also drop libgphoto2 if you don't want to use digital cameras, and cups if you don't want printing. You probably don't need pidgin either - that's a chat program.
I did want to keep some basic stuff on such as a word processor and of course the internet. Since I can log on to my email via my internet service provider, I do not need an email program. I probably will not use the USB flash memory install of Puppy to do video editing as well.

I guess what I am mostly concerned with is space. The organ project uses something called soundfonts and they DO take up some memory. However, I believe soundfonts can be loaded on outside of the pup-save file as it is just data. When called upon, it would load into the machine's memory. So by right there is no need for these soundfonts to be in the pup_save. However, because I have to have a full Jack sound setup for the organ project, it does make sense to load up on some audio (DAW) applications so this way I can see how well Puppy responds to a set up like that. If I really like how Puppy can handle a DAW or audio editing workstation, then I may consider it as a permanent install on my main machine. But it would be going up against a lot as I am considering other distributions for this purpose such as JackLab and also 64Studio. What is attractive about Puppy is that it seems to support real time operations in Jack AND it is really really really small. So by hogging less power, I can put the power where I need it...in the apps.
If you aren't picky about the browser you could also dump seamonkey and replace it with something smaller like dillo, hv3, links or one of the other ones I'm forgetting.
That I will keep. As it is, I am already complaining that I cannot save buttons on a toolbar so I can access my frequented sites. I DO still want full internet access because I may need Puppy in an emergency. Already it has bailed me out of a recent problem. So getting on the internet is VERY important. So I will leave that pretty much the way it is. But yeah, all the art, photo touching, spreadsheet, business planning, publishing applications. They all can go.

However, it seems like now there may be an issue because of the pup_save, correct?

If you have a SIMPLE work around then I am all ears. But if it is going to be a lot of trouble then I will just leave it the way it is, but keep this all in mind if/when I do a permanent Puppy installation. But then again, if on a hard drive...I may as well keep the apps in place because Puppy is so small to begin with. Right now the big help in removing apps is because of the limited space on my USB flash memory stick because it is only 2gig.

Thanx,

Geo

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

Since you have a save file, I assume you also have a pup_xxx.sfs file. In that case, you need to follow the procedure for frugal installs. You don't actually need to burn a cd, you just need to run the remaster script and generate a new pup_xxx.sfs file, then replace your current one with it. I think the remaster script pauses just before assembling the ISO and lets you edit the isolinux.cfg file. At that time the new pup_xxx.sfs file should be ready, so you can probably grab it then and then kill the script. Otherwise you can just mount the ISO it produces and grab the pup_xxx.sfs file from out of that.

If you install the soundfonts and then remaster, and if all goes well, you can then create a new save file without the soundfonts as they will now be built into the pup_xxx.sfs file. On the other hand, this will increase the amount of ram Puppy uses, by at most the size of the soundfonts but more likely somewhere around 50-75% of their size, depending on how well they compress. I've seen some things compress to 30%. Note: Even though this increases the ram use, the drive use will be lowered since this way the soundfonts are compressed.

Is there a link, a site, or a thread that explains all the programs functions in a short paragraph or two so this way I could evaluate what I need and what I don't need.
Not that I'm aware of. The file /root/.packages/packages.txt lists all the packages that Puppy has along with a description. It also lists many packages that weren't used - they are marked as 'off' while the used ones are marked 'on'. If I remember right, PET-Be-Gone shows those descriptions already, but I haven't used it in a long time so maybe I'm mistaken.

One technique you could use would be to look through the menu and remove any items from, say, Start->Graphics. Most packages which have entries in the menu should be safe to remove. Libraries are trickier. For example, you don't want to remove libjpeg because nearly any program that shows an image somewhere will need it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Isis

Re: PET-Be-Gone v0.2

#24 Post by Isis »

Pizzasgood wrote:So, what's the solution? Remaster. Although they apps still exist within the pup_xxx.sfs file, Puppy cannot see them. Neither can the remaster script. So if you use it to remaster Puppy, those apps will not be included, and the resulting Puppy will be smaller. Replace your old Puppy with this new, lighter one, and presto! Apps are gone for good.
Could you explain in much detail just how to do that, please? Thank you in advance! I have been wondering how to do this for a long time, but it was a low priority for me!
Last edited by Isis on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

mommyjoy

#25 Post by mommyjoy »

I have used Pet-be-gone once and after that I've been getting the xdialog box every time I open it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.
Last edited by mommyjoy on Sat 02 Aug 2008, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

nitehawk

#26 Post by nitehawk »

I've been following this thread,...and I may have to start a NEW one,...since I am confused about the "save-file" thing. I have done several FULL installs of Dingo from the CD,..and it always installs a save-file (even though I have a full install).
I am not given a choice by the CD (does the save-file thing as I am re-booting the new system).
Now I'm wondering if I should do another full install, and try to ignore the CD's prompting to do a "save-file" (?)

EDIT: Okay,...did a new complete full re-install,...and THIS time I got around doing the "save-file" thing. (duh!)

vincenzo

#27 Post by vincenzo »

I have used Pet-be-gone once and after that I've been getting the xdialog box every time I open it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.
bump.

I've got the same problem? any idea?

Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

Do you only get the Xdialog error with PetBeGone or does PETget also pop it up? If it's only PET-Be-Gone, try going into /root/.packages/ and removing deadpackages.txt. I don't know if that will help, but maybe.

Also go into /root/.packages/ and open the livepackages.txt file. Does it look "proper"? A proper file should be around 140 or so lines long, and all lines should look about like this:

Code: Select all

"abiword-2.6.0" "abiword 2.6.0: wordprocessor" off "Document +fribidi,+gtk+,+goffice,+wv,+enchant 7804K" \
(package name in double-quotes, a space, a description that begins with the package name and between double-quotes, a space, the word off, a space, a category and optional dependencies followed by size all between a single pair of double-quotes, a space, and a backslash)

If not, try renaming it to something else and launching PETget, which I think should build a new one. Then maybe everything will work again.

FYI, I don't plan to continue development on PET-Be-Gone. It needs to be rewritten from the ground up to be more stable and robust, and as long as I have to do that I think it would be a better idea to just integrate it into PETget itself. Much of the code is already in PETget in order to remove packages the user installs. So when Puppy goes into community mode, that's one of the things I plan to look into changing.

If PET-Be-Gone has disabled PETget for you, then I'll do everything I can think of to sort you out. But if only PET-Be-Gone itself isn't working, I'd rather not spend much time on it. If for some reason you really need it working though, say the word and I'll see what I can do.

vincenzo

#29 Post by vincenzo »

Pizzasgood wrote: If it's only PET-Be-Gone, try going into /root/.packages/ and removing deadpackages.txt. I don't know if that will help, but maybe.
it worked man, thanks for helping.

ttuuxxx

#30 Post by ttuuxxx »

Pizzasgood wrote: I think it would be a better idea to just integrate it into PETget itself. Much of the code is already in PETget in order to remove packages the user installs. So when Puppy goes into community mode, that's one of the things I plan to look into changing.
Hey Pizzagood

Petbegone is an excellent applications and would make a excellent addition to the pet manager. So many users on here ask how to remove programs, I used to give the link out to petbegone in the forum almost everyday. :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

sideburns

#31 Post by sideburns »

I downloaded PET-be-gone as instructed, had it installed and tried it. Very nice. Alas, I didn't get rid of everything, so I tried to run it again. Imagine my surprise to see a window telling me how xdialog is used. Imagine my greater surprise to learn that the program had, effectively, uninstalled itself because the shell script that runs it was empty. Not only that, but as I'd had seamonkey run the file through dotpup, I didn't have it to reinstall. Then, I tried downloading it again and saving it to disk. Now, I have a copy, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get it installed, so I'll have to download it again and install it. Thought I'd let you know that there's a problem, unless that's the way you planned it, and if so, I'd love to know why!
Registered Linux user #470359

Pizzasgood

#32 Post by Pizzasgood »

Imagine my greater surprise to learn that the program had, effectively, uninstalled itself because the shell script that runs it was empty.
This is something new to me. Not sure how that could have happened. I thought for a minute that maybe it tried deleting itself and couldn't since it was running, but I just wrote a script to do that and it deleted itself just fine, and continued running to the finish (since to execute the script, BASH copies it into ram and executes the copy in ram, deleting the original had no effect on the running copy). So I don't think that could be it.

Now I wish I wasn't so swamped with homework and commitments right now, so I could try to figure out why it would do that.

...except, that cannot be. How could it have brought up the Xdialog box if the script itself is gone? Or do you mean that the script was wiped out from running it the second time, and now it won't even bring up the Xdialog box at all, since it's gone?

I may have to play around with PET-Be-Gone again next time I have some free time to see where all this weird behavior is coming from. A blind guess would be an error in the string parsing leading to a corrupt package list when it parses specific sequences of characters. That doesn't shed light on your self-clearing problem though.

sideburns

#33 Post by sideburns »

Looking further, I found that what I thought was an empty file was a directory, and there's still a program there. However, it doesn't run, except to bring up that dialog box. I found your mention of the file corruption and tried bringing back the backup file it created, but no joy. Presumably there are other corrupt files to be corrected. I'd try nuking the entire directory and reinstalling, but as I said, I can't get dotpup to admit it's there unless I download it again and I'd rather not waste bandwidth on it unless I have to. Suggestions?

aragon

#34 Post by aragon »

hi pizzasgood,

i can confirm this strange behaviour.

before i remastered my dingo-version, i cleaned up with pet-be-gone. i noticed, that if i remove 'some' special packages, pet-be-gone will not work any more and only shows the mentioned xdialog-explanation.

but unluckily i didn't write down, with which packages it happened. so i'm not able to help finding the bug now :cry:.

as i'm starting a new remaster on 4.1 next week, i than might have further information for you.

cheers
aragon

Brandon

#35 Post by Brandon »

I keep getting the Xdialog usage error. I need PET-BE-Gone for my Puplet, I don't have a high speed connection to do unleashed.
"Develop for it? I'll piss on it." -Bill Gates on the NeXTcube

sideburns

#36 Post by sideburns »

If nothing else, telling us how the file is corrupted and how we can clean it up ourselves (e.g., taking out blank lines at the top or whatever) would allow us to continue to use your program.

Pizzasgood

#37 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I'm on a long weekend so I'll check it out tomorrow or Monday.

Pizzasgood

#38 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry I didn't get to this on time. I underestimated how long my homework would take. Anyways, I made an initial run-through tonight and fixed a handful of errors. Mainly grep related. I had cases like this:

Code: Select all

grep " on " $path
grep "$var" $path
#should have been:
grep '" on "'
grep '"'"$var"'"'
, and variations thereof. Yes, I could probably use brackets or something to make it prettier. This works.

Also noticed that I forgot to increase the internal version number last time I updated it. It doesn't affect anything, just thought I'd mention it incase somebody compares the code to the old version and wonders why it jumped two versions.

I don't know if those were all the bugs. I uninstalled a couple things one-at-a-time, and several at once, and it worked fine. But of course, the tendency is that the programmer has the most trouble getting the bugs to appear.

I will test it harder tomorrow or Sunday. It's time for me to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a potential for errors if this is run at the same time as PETget. A chunk of the code was copied directly out of PETget, and it names some of the temporary files the same thing that PETget does. Or did; I don't know if it still does. I was going to change that while I was in there tonight, but forgot. Will correct that also on Sunday or tomorrow.

Pizzasgood

#39 Post by Pizzasgood »

Note: I goofed up yesterday and re-uploaded the old version rather than version 0.3. I corrected that a couple hours ago.

However, now we are at version 0.4. I did some more thorough testing and found the main source of the problem: many packages have a description, and some have a '/' in the description. I had a sed command that took an entire line of the package list file as a parameter, and that '/' was being interpreted as one of the ones in the sed command. So I worked around that, and fixed a couple other bugs. I also added some code so that when errors happen, it will be less likely to break the files. Also, in the event that it does replace the deadpackages.txt file with a blank file (which is part of what caused the Xdialog error), it should now automatically replace it. It will lose track of what it has already uninstalled if that happens, but should be able to at least keep running this way.

The other source of the bug was related, but involved a blank string being inserted into livepackages.txt. Seem to have corrected it, and like I said, I added code to detect when that would happen and abort that function.

I also noticed that if you tried uninstalling something you'd already uninstalled with it, it would add duplicate entries to the livepackages.txt file. So now it will check first.

Finally, and I almost forgot again, I changed the temporary filenames that are also used by PETget. You really shouldn't run them at the same time anyways, since they both modify the livepackages.txt file, but it should be a little bit safer in case you forget. Please try not to run multiple instances of PET-Be-Gone itself though, or it may goof itself up.

If you notice any more errors that I've missed, let me know.

sideburns

#40 Post by sideburns »

One question before I try it: will this current version be able to deal with a file corrupted by your earlier version? If not, what do we need to do to prepare? After all, there's not much point in downloading a new version that can't cope with the mess I have now.