Psword-0.7 gtkdialog bible reading software

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
plinej

Psword-0.7 gtkdialog bible reading software

#1 Post by plinej »

Here's a simple gtkdialog program for bible reading using the sword library. It uses the cli tool "diatheke" from the sword package as a backend. The gui will display selected chapters/verses from the selected book using gtklogfileviewer. It has a phrase search option and can be used to download sword bible modules. You will need to install the sword package and the psword package to use it. Psword will be in your "Personal" menu. Sword will make the module install path /usr/share/sword as the default but you can move that to another location if you wish. You will just need to select that location from within the psword gui.

I thought a simple gtkdialog program would be nice to have since all I can find requires gnome (gnomesword), kde (bibletime), or java (jsword). It isn't fancy but it serves its purpose. If anyone uses it please let me know if you find any bugs or want anything added to it.

0.7 - Added a way to remove modules from within the gui as well as alphabetizing the bookmarks and a way to edit bookmarks from within the gui. Created an English .mo file so if anyone wants to internationalize this it'll be easier. Added Ibidem's fix to wrap the lines in the gtkdialog display. Cleaned up the code a bit.

I also compiled the latest sword library. The script will work with either sword package.
Attachments
psword-0.7.pet
(11.17 KiB) Downloaded 1384 times
sword_dev-1.5.11.pet
(77.24 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times
Last edited by plinej on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 20:15, edited 6 times in total.

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

Here's a picture of the 1st dialog box.

If you don't have any sword modules installed you can check the box for "Download a new sword bible module?" and click ok. From there you can select the language and then select the bible you want to download.

Otherwise, select your book and bible version and then click ok to go to the 2nd dialog box below.
Attachments
psword1.jpg
(20.28 KiB) Downloaded 4381 times
Last edited by plinej on Thu 09 Oct 2008, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

plinej

#3 Post by plinej »

Here's a picture of the 2nd dialog box.

Here you will see the book and bible versions selected from the previous dialog. You can now select the chapter (all is the default) and then enter a verse or a range of verses (e.g. 3-6). Leave the search box blank if you want to display the selections and click ok. You will then get a gtklogfileviewer popup displaying the selected chapters/verses. If you enter a word/phrase in the search box and then click ok you will get a gtklogfileviewer popup displaying all the verses found that meet your search criteria.
Attachments
psword2.jpg
(18.68 KiB) Downloaded 4879 times

bones01

#4 Post by bones01 »

It seems to be working fine for me. I've downloaded a greek bible, which will be handy to have, but it's all gibberish. If I need to install a Greek font, can you let me know if I need a specific one please?

Thanks.

Also downloaded ESV module. That has some strange characters come up as well, but is readable between them.

Thanks for making this available. I've been trying to find something like this for a while and kept getting lost in the forums.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

What module did you download besides ESV? Which locale do you use in Puppy? There is a locale switch in diatheke but I'm not sure if it'll help or not. Try this at the command line:

diatheke -b (module name - e.g. ESV) -o fmnx -k Jn 3:16

and then:

diatheke -b (module name - e.g. ESV) -o fmnx -k Jn 3:16 -l (your locale abbreviation - e.g. en)

See if there's a difference between the two. If the forced locale helps out I can change a bit of code and post a 0.2 version.

ttuuxxx

#6 Post by ttuuxxx »

This looks like the start of something really interesting, Do you think you might make a full GUI with highlight, bookmarks and maybe printing?
just wondering, I might be asking too much at this point, But anyways very good work.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

plinej

#7 Post by plinej »

Those are good ideas and I'll certainly consider them. Hopefully I'll have some spare time for those improvements.

KF6SNJ

#8 Post by KF6SNJ »

I decided to try this on Puppy 4.1 as it was suggested that perhaps Psword could be used in ChurchPup Concordia Edition. Unfortunately, I tried to install the ESV bible and it made about seven or eight attempts before I stopped it. I think that there may yet be some work to do. I will watch how development goes. I won't include in the version of Concordia I am presently working on, but as it progresses, I may consider it in the future. It does hold a lot of promise. I look forward to watching its progress. Who knows, it could eventually become a hightly viable alternative to BibleDesktop. Please keep me posted.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

plinej

#9 Post by plinej »

I'm unsure what problem you're encountering. The ESV bible downloads and installs fine for me (as do countless others that I've tried). Try starting psword from rxvt and post whatever errors are displayed.

plinej

#10 Post by plinej »

While I'm waiting for KF6SNJ's reply I thought that maybe the problem could be that www.crosswire.org was down or possibly no internet connection was present when trying to download a bible module. I added a little code that will ping www.crosswire.org first before trying to connect. That will be in 0.2 but I'll wait to see if there's possibly another issue first.

plinej

#11 Post by plinej »

Alright, I posted a 0.2 version. Give this one a try and post your results please. I added the ping check to www.crosswire.org when attempting to download a module. I also added the ability to bookmark and exporting to leafpad for printing.

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

plinej wrote:Alright, I posted a 0.2 version. Give this one a try and post your results please. I added the ping check to www.crosswire.org when attempting to download a module. I also added the ability to bookmark and exporting to leafpad for printing.
Maybe you could export it to Abiword instead? The reason is for maps? Oh by the way do the map files work on here also like Bibletime,? I don't use them, but I'm sure others might.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

plinej

#13 Post by plinej »

0.3 is up

Okay, I changed it so it exports to abiword for printing. I'm not sure what you mean by the "map files".

KF6SNJ

#14 Post by KF6SNJ »

I used Opera to check the crosswire site, so it was not my internet connection or the crosswire site. I am wondering if the download was not 100% complete (never mind that I used wget to get the program). I will check out the 0.3 release this weekend. I think being able to ping crosswire will help. However, I have noticed that Psword is not setup to access crosswire beta. This is a feature that would be needed in Concordia. Also, being able to display maps would be very handy.

plinej

#15 Post by plinej »

Alright, I'm awaiting your response to figure out why you can't download a module using psword. The program just uses wget to download the modules that are all listed at /usr/share/psword/repos. I'll look into the maps that you guys are talking about but I'm not sure what they are right now. I'll go to crosswire.org and see if I can figure out what you're talking about.

KF6SNJ

#16 Post by KF6SNJ »

All it does is keep trying and trying and trying. The only error message is connection time out. It does connect to the crosswire site. That is about the best I can tell you. I am uncertain that a screen shot will be of any additional help.

Any rate, I have to get going. I have to get to work. I drive forklift for a living.

plinej

#17 Post by plinej »

I'm really not sure why it won't work for you. It would be really helpful if you could start psword from rxvt and post all the messages that are in the terminal when you try to download a module. What is the path shown in the box "Select your sword module directory"? To get the ESV module the command that will be executed is:

Code: Select all

#wget www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/packages/rawzip/ESV.zip
That will download to /tmp and will be extracted to your sword module path.

I'll be implementing a different way to download newer or beta modules that will parse the rss feeds at crosswire. I'll work on that today and will hopefully have a 0.4 version out sometime soon.

plinej

#18 Post by plinej »

0.4 is up.

This version will parse crosswire's rss feeds for new and beta modules.

You guys will have to help me out with the map request since I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Maybe post a link to a map?

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

plinej

Psword-0.4 program looks promising, thanks,
Jim

steve_s

#20 Post by steve_s »

This is a little old thread, but hopefully it is still somewhat live.

plinej: I love this idea! I've used esword before, so very glad to see a puppy version...

I downloaded the "pet's" but they download as .exe files...am I doing something wrong?

Also, if want to manually add a sword module, do you have a recomended site to download those? Thanks!