Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 06:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can I install a dotpup without internet, via Win?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Marcel

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2005, 02:37    Post subject:  Can I install a dotpup without internet, via Win?  

I have very successfully installed Puppy 1.0.5 on my old Compaq Presario at home, and it works beautifully. I don't have an internet connection on that machine, but I do at work, running WinXP.
Can I download any pups to the Win machine, (I can save them on a cd). I could then transfer to the puppy machine for installation? If so, how?
Or are there tgz equivalents that can be downloaded to the Win machine for transfer to Puppy?
Thanks.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2005, 02:59    Post subject:  

Quote:
Can I download any pups to the Win machine

this is how dotpups were intended to work (the dotpup downloader is an evil Twisted Evil aberration)

you can download dotpup files using any browser (Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Dillo, Lynx, Links, Elinks, Arachne) from Linux or BSD or Windows or from a Mac ... copy the dotpup files to floppies or cds or usb drives, whatever is convenient ... you can mount the cd or floppy from Puppy

the dotpup files are just ordinary zip files ... for example, rename example.pup to example.zip or example.pup.zip and you can click it in Windows and see what's inside the file

you could remaster the Puppy iso and add any dotpups and Unleashed packages you like to the Puppy cd

most of my dotpups that download other larger installer files, like Java and Xampp, will work if you download the Java or Xampp file on another machine and copy it to the appropriate location on the Puppy machine ... so you can install Java with needing an internet connection, for example
Marcel

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2005, 22:00    Post subject:  

Thanks. I'll give it a go.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: