eeetiger

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MrFairGo

questions and comments

#101 Post by MrFairGo »

dinky wrote:As far as I know sound is not possible yet on the eeepc900 with eeetiger, ... it's more likely this will become a feature when I rebuild from Puppy 4.1, after it's released.
Thanks Dinky. I have little time for this, so I am happy to wait.
dinky wrote:I haven't found a way to work around the screen image being stretched with an external monitor, let me know if you figure it out. Wireless does work on the 701, so I assume it will also work on the 900. Let me know how you go.
OK, will do.
dinky wrote:WPA encryption isn't that well supported in Puppy (TKIP works), but WEP is fine.
I live in the bush and there's no house anywhere near close enough to piggy-back onto my wireless or try to snoop my network, so I have never bothered to set up encryption. Makes it a little easier. :)
dinky wrote:Current bluetooth support in Linux is very very basic, so don't hold your breathe. Check out Aarf's link though, he might be onto something.
I read it through: looks promising. There is of course a big difference between GPRS and NextG, but from the client point of view there should be no difference. It's pretty easy (using my iMate JasJam running WM6) to connect with XP or Vista. Again. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for your assistance.
MrFairGo full retail plus shipping property in North Queensland

wrybread

#102 Post by wrybread »

Has anyone successfully installed and run this on a thumbdrive? I used unetbootin to install eeeTiger to a thumbdrive, but it won't boot past the boot manager screen.

I've used unetbootin with other Puppy distros, but only based on 4.0.

I'm on an Asus eee 1000H if that matters.

aarf

#103 Post by aarf »

wrybread wrote:Has anyone successfully installed and run this on a thumbdrive? I used unetbootin to install eeeTiger to a thumbdrive, but it won't boot past the boot manager screen.

I've used unetbootin with other Puppy distros, but only based on 4.0.

I'm on an Asus eee 1000H if that matters.
I am successfully thumbdrive grub booting eeetiger on my eeePc 701 but have failed to eeetiger boot a number of other computers using the same thumbdrive so it may be that something (a module?) is missing in eeeTiger for your model.
However eeeTiger is not a fast boot.

dinky

#104 Post by dinky »

eeetiger was never intended for any computers other than the Asus eeepc, with support hovering around the 700 models. If you can get eeetiger working on more recent eeepc's, well and good. If you have to do anything funky to them, let us know!

eeetiger is based on TigerPup, which is able to boot on a wide range of computers. Puppy 3.01 does not support the eeepc's withut alot of woork, which I put into this. Puppy 4.1 however, does, though support isn't quite out of the box yet. Both eeetiiger and TigerPup are being blended into Project Ripple for the next release, which is getting closer. Will feature updated scripts, newer compiz-fusion packages, an interactive dockbar, desktop widgets, and a whole lot else besides. Oh yes, and support in Puppy 4.1 (current build of ripple) is much better foor ore recent eeepc models. I'll be posting test isos in the next couple weeks before a final release, so watch this space.

Re getting eeetiger (current version) running on a usb, see the first post of this thread, I've posted info there in depth. Good luck.
~dinky

dinky

UPDATED EEETIGER!!!

#105 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, first beta release for Ripple is available. Eeetiger is blending into this project, and no more releases will be made as eeetiger. Ripple takes off where eeetiger leaves off. A list of a few features:

- interactive dock bar
- widget layer, similar to OSX dashboard
- based on puppy 4.1
- smaller size
- supports pfix=ram option
- very cool

The small size is still needing to be implemented, but you get the idea. Currently the beta test is a remastered version of Puppy 4.1, so it's a similar size to eeetiger... 242Mb. This will change when I rebuild from unleashed, it will be around the 130-150ish mark, possibly smaller.

Anyway, please have a play, and get back to me! Currently it's customized for the eeepc 701, other users might have to customise it slightly to get it working. The final release will support all versions.

This thread remains for eeetiger support. To download Ripple, and leave feedback, go here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 026#246026